new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ordered mine yesterday.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I expected more re. the sound quality from this LP. Everything is quite well balanced, I also can't criticize the portray of the soundstage but dynamics is definitely limited and that robs the listening experience of excitement, aliveness and drama. Instruments sound natural but there is quite some room for improvement in harmonic density. Although the orchestra is big and occupies the whole front wall, I think the transparency could be even better. To me this LP sounds very similar to the Brahms. I would prefer more demanding works from Shostakovich, Mahler or Stravinsky.

Reactions: MadFloyd and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I would prefer more demanding works from Shostakovich, Mahler or Stravinsky.

+ + 1

I'd love to have a Firebird that rivals Dorati, some Shosty to rival Mravinsky or Kondrashin or Bernstein or Haitink, some Mahler that rivals .... what can I say. :) LP of course.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The term "direct to disc" can fool us to buy. I only found Mike Valentine's works great sonically for today's new classical vinyl.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I only found Mike Valentine's works great sonically for today's new classical vinyl.
Not all Chasing The Dragon classical vinyl is sonically great IME. Espana (VALDC004) and Vivaldi’s Four Seasons (VALDC001) for instance are very mediocre sonically and even worse performance wise. On the other side Vivaldi in Venice performed by Interpreti Veneziani (VALPP008), a digital sourced vinyl, is sonically breathtaking...I haven’t heard so realistically reproduced Basson in my life.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Not all Chasing The Dragon classical vinyl is sonically great IME. Espana (VALDC004) and Vivaldi’s Four Seasons (VALDC001) for instance are very mediocre sonically and even worse performance wise. On the other side Vivaldi in Venice performed by Interpreti Veneziani (VALPP008), a digital sourced vinyl, is sonically breathtaking...I haven’t heard so realistically reproduced Basson in my life.
Can you give examples of modern vinyls on classical that are sonically great?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I guess like anything, opinions will vary. Like Marcus, I prefer more dynamic modern symphonies but I do like some Bruckner (9th for example). I've never heard the 7th but am told it's very beautiful and NOT dynamic (at least the first 3 movements). How much of Marcus' reaction is due to the music itself is of course hard to know. Fremer loves the sound of this release but he's not a classical aficionado.

And with the Rattle Beethoven that has been mentioned positively on this thread, if I had only read the negative review that someone linked to in this thread I certainly wouldn't purchase it.

I guess in this case I will find out for myself since I've ordered it. I do feel like I want to support the efforts of D2D classical... and I have purchased some of Mike Valentine's releases (some are very good, others are not) for this reason.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Totally agree here wrt Chasing the Dragon and those LPs, which I also have.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Yes they do. If you don’t mind they’re cut from digital sources. DG made quite a progress in sq in recent years. Go to their website.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/beethoven-complete-works-cello-and-piano

There are times that the recording just isn't important (as long as it's "good" at the minimum). Such is the case for me with Beethoven Cello and Piano works. I don't think there will ever be a set of performances to surpass Richter/Rostropovich, at least for me. These artists play with such a profound understanding of not only the works, but of each other, that I feel privileged to just listen. Sometimes, there is magic created when certain artists play together that far exceeds an audiophile thrill of "listening to the recording" . Richter and Rostropovich had it and it is something beautiful to behold. Other magical combinations include Perlman/Ashkenazy performing the Beethoven Violin Sonatas. Perlman himself said that when he plays w Ashkenazy, something happens that elevates the duo to far exceed what either alone can bring to the table. Now that's saying something but not surprising when you consider they've been playing these works together for well over 10 years before their first recordings of the work and had at least 50+ years together until Askenazy's retirement from public playing this past January. . They know every nuance of the other's playing intimately and it shows, The same thing is true with Argerich/Kremer for the Violin Sonatas. If it's the music you want, don't overthink the recording. It can be counterproductive.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Can you give examples of modern vinyls on classical that are sonically great?
Yes, but you will be disappointed with their number. As “sonically great” I regard only a few. Apart from the above mentioned Vivaldi in Venice there is one more Chasing the Dragon LP that I like. I like live recordings with all of their performance imperfections and this one sounds very, very real. Read information on the back side and you’ll see why.

1FF84726-104B-46B7-82F9-D994665843F1.jpeg

FE462DF7-E8CC-454F-BE9A-53F9B7A5F719.jpeg

Then there’s this also digital sourced LP. If you can handle Shostakovich this one will satisfy also sonically. Dynamic, full range and big spread of orchestra. You can buy this LP directly from Acousence.

18EFA78B-F95F-4009-8CB6-665B3966DA6E.jpeg

74E0D812-19CB-4D0F-B1D1-2BA3B28B558F.jpeg

This Hilary Hahn double LP is to die for and you also get one D2D record. I mentioned that Deutsche Grammophon made a huge improvement in sq in recent years and this record is the best proof. I was so thrilled after the first listen that I wrote a long mail to DG and asked for more such great projects. Hope they read it. Anyway, if there were only Max Richter’s Mercy and Bach’s aria from the St Matthew Passion, this record would be worth buying but there’s so much more. Crazy good reproduction of violin, piano, male vocal...Just buy it and you will thank me later. I bought it on Amazon.

055E41F9-6FEB-40F6-A76B-ED9AFEB3D72C.jpeg

0AED4F39-1D10-4DD1-9662-9B5692C34C90.jpeg

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Mine arrived today:)

Attachments

• 9FC396E9-4631-4B7A-9D7A-84766403175D.jpeg
    9FC396E9-4631-4B7A-9D7A-84766403175D.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 10
  • A4294D10-DE89-48BA-8300-3933C109E033.jpeg
    A4294D10-DE89-48BA-8300-3933C109E033.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 12
  • A3FF06CB-410A-41F9-9A56-C643F2119D64.jpeg
    A3FF06CB-410A-41F9-9A56-C643F2119D64.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 8

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
There are times that the recording just isn't important (as long as it's "good" at the minimum). Such is the case for me with Beethoven Cello and Piano works. I don't think there will ever be a set of performances to surpass Richter/Rostropovich, at least for me. These artists play with such a profound understanding of not only the works, but of each other, that I feel privileged to just listen. Sometimes, there is magic created when certain artists play together that far exceeds an audiophile thrill of "listening to the recording" . Richter and Rostropovich had it and it is something beautiful to behold. Other magical combinations include Perlman/Ashkenazy performing the Beethoven Violin Sonatas. Perlman himself said that when he plays w Ashkenazy, something happens that elevates the duo to far exceed what either alone can bring to the table. Now that's saying something but not surprising when you consider they've been playing these works together for well over 10 years before their first recordings of the work and had at least 50+ years together until Askenazy's retirement from public playing this past January. . They know every nuance of the other's playing intimately and it shows, The same thing is true with Argerich/Kremer for the Violin Sonatas. If it's the music you want, don't overthink the recording. It can be counterproductive.

I fully agree on Beethoven Cello Piano Sonatas the recording whit Rostropovich and Richter is almost Absolute its miles ahead in terms of Virtuosity the Mastery on the Instrument especially Rostopovichs Bow technique and Vibrato is perfection but more important point is the deep understatement of Rostropovich And Richter of the Pain and Sorrow and Storm in the soul and mind of Beethoven is breathtaking.Its not Happy Music its Sad and Blue but how more beautiful can sad be.....

One other Strong Recommendation from me will be Rostropovich shostakovich 2 Cello Concert and Glazunov Chant the Menestrel Conductor Seiji Ozawa and BSO i won the speakers corner reissue its 10x10 points the compositions (also Glazunov) the Cello like gods voice the conducting the BSO the Recording the Pressing..... its a 24 Carat Gold!

Attachments

• R-3799108-1586697768-3207.jpg
    R-3799108-1586697768-3207.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: christoph

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Yes, but you will be disappointed with their number. As “sonically great” I regard only a few. Apart from the above mentioned Vivaldi in Venice there is one more Chasing the Dragon LP that I like. I like live recordings with all of their performance imperfections and this one sounds very, very real. Read information on the back side and you’ll see why.

View attachment 66318

View attachment 66319

Then there’s this also digital sourced LP. If you can handle Shostakovich this one will satisfy also sonically. Dynamic, full range and big spread of orchestra. You can buy this LP directly from Acousence.

View attachment 66320

View attachment 66321

This Hilary Hahn double LP is to die for and you also get one D2D record. I mentioned that Deutsche Grammophon made a huge improvement in sq in recent years and this record is the best proof. I was so thrilled after the first listen that I wrote a long mail to DG and asked for more such great projects. Hope they read it. Anyway, if there were only Max Richter’s Mercy and Bach’s aria from the St Matthew Passion, this record would be worth buying but there’s so much more. Crazy good reproduction of violin, piano, male vocal...Just buy it and you will thank me later. I bought it on Amazon.

View attachment 66322

View attachment 66323

Thank you Marcus i will order this 3 LPs!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

View attachment 66318

View attachment 66319

View attachment 66320

View attachment 66321

View attachment 66322

View attachment 66323
I don't think that the Valentine's Vivaldi's Four Seasons you mentioned as sonically mediocre is any different from the other two you said sonically great. They all have Valentine's recording signature written all over the same. Only you hear different venue ambient. On Vivaldi's Four Seasons there might be some distracting sound from cellphone interference while recording. The sound of these records is different kind of great from the old Decca recordings. I am not talking performance wise here because that is even more subjective. For example I remember both AudiophileBill and Bonzo said the Hilary Hahn you just mentioned is shit. But I do enjoy that Retrospective album very much. I agree with you on the Espana. I have the Tape version, listened once and never touched it again. Very very rare, I find modern DG vinyls very good regardless of d to d or not.

Reactions: sujay and bonzo75

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I like the Hilary Hahn LP although I am not obsessive in concentrating only the recording quality rather than the music itself and driving myself into a chasm of turmoil unable to just relax and enjoy myself......;)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I fully agree on Beethoven Cello Piano Sonatas the recording whit Rostropovich and Richter is almost Absolute its miles ahead in terms of Virtuosity the Mastery on the Instrument especially Rostopovichs Bow technique and Vibrato is perfection but more important point is the deep understatement of Rostropovich And Richter of the Pain and Sorrow and Storm in the soul and mind of Beethoven is breathtaking.Its not Happy Music its Sad and Blue but how more beautiful can sad be.....

+10! Agree completely.

/QUOTE]

One other Strong Recommendation from me will be Rostropovich shostakovich 2 Cello Concert and Glazunov Chant the Menestrel Conductor Seiji Ozawa and BSO i won the speakers corner reissue its 10x10 points the compositions (also Glazunov) the Cello like gods voice the conducting the BSO the Recording the Pressing..... its a 24 Carat Gold!

Glazunov is from my kind of Russian School and I'll check out the LP for that reason, Thanks. I never warmed up to Shostakovich despite trying repeatedly. I always thought the Russian Army was either in my living room or was about to be, no matter what he composed, with perhaps some exceptions such as his dance music

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I like the Hilary Hahn LP although I am not obsessive in concentrating only the recording quality rather than the music itself and driving myself into a chasm of turmoil unable to just relax and enjoy myself......;)

agree. the Hilary Hahn Lp is good, but not great. i like it, but don't love it as a super sonic masterpiece.

i think being realistic about current classical vinyl, we have to appreciate what there is. and buy it hoping it gets better as we help it along. the current digital classical is honestly fantastic, and there is lots of it coming out all the time. so it's up to us to play the long classical vinyl game......or.......just forget it and find the older pressings and be happy about that. it's at a tipping point and needs our support.

personally i'm happy with the new digital classical recordings, and my older classical vinyl. my system is set up for that to be my approach. but i'm all for lots of new classical vinyl if that can happen.

Reactions: howiebrou

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The Richter Rostropovich from Philips original is one of the best LPs. I have the second edition. You can get that much cheaper than the first edition. Listening to it on Pietro's Yamamura was one of the best moments for me

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing