new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I listened to the first LP again today. I had a completely different experience than the first time. This time I thought it sounded great and I enjoyed it much more. The second movement is beautiful.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I listened to the first LP again today. I had a completely different experience than the first time. This time I thought it sounded great and I enjoyed it much more. The second movement is beautiful.

The 2nd movement only original of furtwangler in telefunken 78 rpm is over 1500 USD I think across 3 LPs

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
did the second movement last night too. got lost in it.
Just don't get too lost and play the B side of second disc Mike. ;) Yike! Esturo Gold.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
that engraved picture might ruin my day.:eek:
Mine is dozens of engraved signatures. I said that because I flipped the disc and was about to lift the tone arm when I saw. :eek:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Ian,

Why did the record sound so different the second time around?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
i loost the chance to get the 7th.... its apparently out of stock, and i cant find myself paying resale value for it yet...
but, because of this thread i put my Japanese (i think its the same one as Michael mentioned) version of Brahms second with Backhous - i forgot how good it is, performance and sound wise.
thanks for Michael who lift it up...

2D462D5E-F472-4287-8D21-BC9E7167D890.jpeg

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
i loost the chance to get the 7th.... its apparently out of stock, and i cant find myself paying resale value for it yet...
but, because of this thread i put my Japanese (i think its the same one as Michael mentioned) version of Brahms second with Backhous - i forgot how good it is, performance and sound wise.
thanks for Michael who lift it up...

View attachment 68485

Yes, after @Mike Lavigne 's recommendation (thanks) I found a sealed copy. Backhaus is a powerful piano player. On my copy the performance and performers seem very close at hand.

Reactions: byrdparis

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You can still find Brahms Piano2/ Bohm/ Backhaus / Decca on Ebay in great condition. The sound will be less enhanced. Another must have beautiful majestic Brahms is Piano1. I recommend London Symphony/ Szell/ Curzon. England Decca sounds awesome.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Dear Ian,

Why did the record sound so different the second time around?

I wish I could say for sure, but I can't. It might have been my mood, power or humidity fluctuations or my ears.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
It took me a while to finally get around to the B7 box set. (I didn't want to play it until the Helix/ Reed/ ZYX were tweaked adequately which took a few weeks.) Honestly, i thought it was very good but I wasn't knocked out. The performance was fine (it's Haitink and the Berlin- what's not to like?), with the climax and resolution of the adagio particularly wonderful as well as the scherzo. Sonically, I liked the perspective. It was pretty accurate in reproducing the acoustics of the hall, which surprisingly, is easily appreciated by the audience murmerings between the movements- the sounds of the side and rear balconies are obvious and render a listening position somewhere in section A about 10 rows from the stage. It also would have been nice if they gave two people in particular cough lozenges! However, while the sound is good, it is also a bit dry, which I didn't think reflected my listening experience in the hall itself. And as good as the recording is, I don't think it's the engineering equal of Lewis Layton's best works (RCA Living Stereo) or Ken Wilkinson (Decca/EMI). Then again, whose is?

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Totally agree. Just not my cup of tea. I found it well recorded but just did not flow in waves over me as many people stated. I said I also felt further back in the hall.
I was surprised that the BBC rated this symphony number 20 of all time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Totally agree. Just not my cup of tea. I found it well recorded but just did not flow in waves over me as many people stated. I said I also felt further back in the hall.
I was surprised that the BBC rated this symphony number 20 of all time

It's one of the best I have watched and I have seen Haitink conduct it twice. My posts on that go back as far as 2016 regarding Haitink's Bruckner 7, here is one from 2018, much before this LP became a rage. I didn't watch him do it with BPO though

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...monaco-2-0-turntable.25046/page-6#post-509968

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If anyone wants to sell used at a discount, please PM

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
This Hilary Hahn double LP is to die for and you also get one D2D record. I mentioned that Deutsche Grammophon made a huge improvement in sq in recent years and this record is the best proof. I was so thrilled after the first listen that I wrote a long mail to DG and asked for more such great projects. Hope they read it. Anyway, if there were only Max Richter’s Mercy and Bach’s aria from the St Matthew Passion, this record would be worth buying but there’s so much more. Crazy good reproduction of violin, piano, male vocal...Just buy it and you will thank me later. I bought it on Amazon.

View attachment 66322

View attachment 66323
Dear Marcus,
thank you for the heads up about the HH record, after i read your reply back then i order a new copy for myself and its a FANTASTIC recording,
side A of the first LP is superb, and worth the $$ for its own, the other lps you posted, i already had, so the HH were a revelation, thanks!l

Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
And as good as the recording is, I don't think it's the engineering equal of Lewis Layton's best works (RCA Living Stereo) or Ken Wilkinson (Decca/EMI). Then again, who's is?
Totally agree. Then again I think Rainer Maillard and his recording/production team with some young blood will bring us even better records in the future. I’m sure the best is yet to come.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing