New convert to CH Precision - advice needed

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
So where are all the CH folks? I have questions that need to be answered. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
MadFloyd

whats ur question ? I have plenty of Ch ......

Hi...i think his questions were below on the preamp:

Couple L1 questions for the experienced:

1) is there any way to access shortcuts via the remote? I'd love to be able to toggle Mono on/off

2) while switching inputs (e.g. with the remote) is instantaneous, a second later there is a slight one-time dropout of the signal. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance...

Reactions: MadFloyd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, I thought his question was "where are the CH people"

Reactions: gian60 and MadFloyd

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ok, I thought his question was "where are the CH people"
Actually, his question was where are the CH people...because he had earlier posted 2 technical questions to understand how the L1 preamp he is auditioning operates [and needed CH people familiar with the L1 to answer]

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Ian,
with remote you cannot put mono,only volume and input and when i switch from one input to another a second later there is a slight one time dropout the signal,is normal

There is a CH app to use with Ipad similar remote with more option,could be can put also mono but i am not sure

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Dear Ian,
with remote you cannot put mono,only volume and input and when i switch from one input to another a second later there is a slight one time dropout the signal,is normal

There is a CH app to use with Ipad similar remote with more option,could be can put also mono but i am not sure

Thank you, Gianluigi!

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
One can use CH Android app to control most of the functions. I wish they have iOS app.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
One can use CH Android app to control most of the functions. I wish they have iOS app.
Me too. I have iPhone and iPads all over the place... I don't get it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
You can buy a cheap tablet to use android only for this
Yeah, I know... but I shouldn't HAVE to...

OK, here's a few more questions:
1) If you do use the Android app, I assume you need an ethernet connection into every CH component (apart from X1)

2) Does anyone know what the DC input analyzer actually does? I ran it (takes about 5 minutes) but it doesn't give any feedback so I have no idea if it actually did anything...

3) The manual doesn't explain the significance of the volume display. There are three zones, for example as you increase to around -12 you get into the second zone... anyone know? Is it just arbitrary 'warnings' (careful, it must be getting louuuuuudd)?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

1) If you do use the Android app, I assume you need an ethernet connection into every CH component (apart from X1)

2) Does anyone know what the DC input analyzer actually does? I ran it (takes about 5 minutes) but it doesn't give any feedback so I have no idea if it actually did anything...

3) The manual doesn't explain the significance of the volume display. There are three zones, for example as you increase to around -12 you get into the second zone... anyone know? Is it just arbitrary 'warnings' (careful, it must be getting louuuuuudd)?

1. Yes. One needs Ethernet connection.
2. Sorry, no idea. I never use it.
3. As you said, it is just reminder. I regularly listen between -15 to -9. There is no damage done to power amp or speaker.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey MadFloyd,

I have looked quite seriously into CH. My Gryphon amp is DC coupled which means that if the signal from the preamp does NOT have some kind of transformer or blocker of some kind, then that DC (even milliwatts) will get through to the Gryphon and 'can' cause issues.

I believe that CH is designed the same way...EXCEPT, that the CH preamp has a separate 'feature' which measures the amount of DC in its system...and somehow eliminates it to 0 so there is NO DC going thru to the amp.

I believe there is something about this on the website...but I guess the implication is that this 'filter' does not do the things that a transformer or blocker does (some people say reduce transparency 'in theory')...but it DOES do this one thing which is eliminate DC.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ralph did one video explaining the app

i check now in Youtube and i wrote CH PRECISION APP and i saw the video INSTALLING AND USING THE CH CONTROL APP

You can see this video to understand,i have no interest and didnt checked

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey MadFloyd,

From the CH Website on your 2:

"Like all CH Precision products, the L1 uses fully discrete, balanced and complementary design, ultra-short signal paths and exactingly selected components. It is fed from heavily regulated and filtered power supplies, is wide-bandwidth, high slew-rate and DC coupled. But in this critical application, that’s not enough. It’s one thing to eliminate unnecessary components from the signal path and eliminate DC offset at the inputs, but the L1 takes things much, much further than that. Completely separate left and right channel circuit boards prevent crosstalk, while a super sophisticated, software driven R-2R network for each channel employs precision metal-film resistors and allows precise level control in 0.5dB steps with the minimum possible number of components. DC offset is monitored and eliminating not just at the inputs but throughout the volume control ladder and at multiple points throughout the entire circuit. That makes the L1 not just one of the quietest line-stages ever built, it makes it one of the quietest in operation too. "

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hey MadFloyd,

"Like all CH Precision products, the L1 uses fully discrete, balanced and complementary design, ultra-short signal paths and exactingly selected components. It is fed from heavily regulated and filtered power supplies, is wide-bandwidth, high slew-rate and DC coupled. But in this critical application, that’s not enough. It’s one thing to eliminate unnecessary components from the signal path and eliminate DC offset at the inputs, but the L1 takes things much, much further than that. Completely separate left and right channel circuit boards prevent crosstalk, while a super sophisticated, software driven R-2R network for each channel employs precision metal-film resistors and allows precise level control in 0.5dB steps with the minimum possible number of components. DC offset is monitored and eliminating not just at the inputs but throughout the volume control ladder and at multiple points throughout the entire circuit. That makes the L1 not just one of the quietest line-stages ever built, it makes it one of the quietest in operation too. "

Thank you, Lloyd, for this and your previous post.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm very much enjoying this preamp. :)

Reactions: ashandger

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you, Lloyd, for this and your previous post.
Any time...do let us know what you think as soon as you can. It is quite remarkable (and consistent) set of comments around the CH equipment, particularly from long-time fans of tubes (Lamm, Kondo, VTL, etc, etc).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey MadFloyd,

Madfloyd,

This is from the Audionet review of the Stern & Heisenberg reference preamp/amp combination which ALSO is DC-coupled and has a special feature that removes DC from the input sources in the preamp all the way through the system so nothing gets into the amp.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audionet-stern-linestage-and-heisenberg-monoblocks/?page=2

"
Audionet Stern Linestage and Heisenberg Monoblocks
Teutonic Masterpieces
Equipment report
by Greg Weaver | Aug 27th, 2020
Categories: Stand-mount, Solid-state power amplifiers

Using four encapsulated and fully decoupled 50VA toroidal transformers, the power supply has two separate transformers per channel; one each for the positive and negative half-waves. Eight extremely low impedance, silk dielectric, 22,000µF capacitors minimize capacitive ESR (equivalent series resistance), and the Heisenberg employs rhodium in both its fuse and Furutech RCA jacks. The whole design is DC coupled...

...Offering a bypass mode (to allow integration into home cinema systems), user-definable names, highly adjustable input levels, and a function to remove DC from signal sources for each input, the whole beast is managed by microprocessor control, with its own separate power supply monitor, of course.

...As with Stern, Heisenberg is also DC coupled (to eliminate the signal degradation entailed by using capacitors or inductors) and is designed to leverage the shortest possible practical signal paths...."

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing