New Dedicated Listening Room

It was late. I did not want to commit to anytiing so I put some 7.5 ips tapes on. I was surprosed the derail and how well instruments like drums came through. I played the small real of Messiah and Carol K Tapestry. Usually Tapestry sounds like crap. The recording. This time it was pretty good. I'm struggling to set up the room. I want the gear further back. But my good interconnects are only 10 feet max.

Reactions: Lee
Best of luck on setting everything up to your satisfaction, Rex!

It was late. I did not want to commit to anytiing so I put some 7.5 ips tapes on. I was surprosed the derail and how well instruments like drums came through. I played the small real of Messiah and Carol K Tapestry. Usually Tapestry sounds like crap. The recording. This time it was pretty good. I'm struggling to set up the room. I want the gear further back. But my good interconnects are only 10 feet max.
Exciting !
If your amps are staying at low level I think it works pretty well to put your gear in line with the baffles .. the dipole cancellation is greatest at thuis point so it's the calm spot ...in theory of course :) .. you are no longer constrained by cable length as to where you put the speakers

I have new chokes in. I think they are much better than the old one. Its playing very clean. At least in a fairly close field play.

I found a pipe with 12 awg wire in it. I powered my Torus RM20 from it. I have ok power to the rack now.

I think I need some 20 foot or so single ended interconnect. I want the rack to the side. And all the tapes and vinyl. They are such space hogs. There is a recession in the wall to the side. But it gets hot from the roof heat. The whole room gets warm. I want AC up there for summer.

I have new chokes in. I think they are much better than the old one. Its playing very clean. At least in a fairly close field play.

I found a pipe with 12 awg wire in it. I powered my Torus RM20 from it. I have ok power to the rack now.

I think I need some 20 foot or so single ended interconnect. I want the rack to the side. And all the tapes and vinyl. They are such space hogs. There is a recession in the wall to the side. But it gets hot from the roof heat. The whole room gets warm. I want AC up there for summer.
Man you have a lot going on! From what I have gathered about you, no doubt you will incrementally get it done...

I do. I have 3 panel orders. I have 20 feet of commercial shelving on order to get my shop space in place. Then I need to work. Been fixing doors, windows and lights in the new space. Went to a concert last night. About 150 yards from my house. One of thr best venue I have been in. Around 350 seats.

Attachments

• 20240713_092047.jpg
    20240713_092047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
This is the room with some rough dimensions.

Attachments

• 20240712_171425.jpg
    20240712_171425.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20240713_111049.jpg
    20240713_111049.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 43
I was told, this is the sub I should get.

You may want to talk to J.R. at Wally Analog about a distributed bass array. It really cleaned up the bass nodes from my Wilson XLF-room interactions, and improved low bass.

I talk to JR often. We meet doing shows. He laid me out with a sub box manufacturer, amps to purchase and a pro grade crossover to purchase that be likes to work with. I will do a swarm if I do anything. At the moment, Im trying to acclimate to the room. What am I working with.

Want to hear something embarrassing. Setting up my system I discovered I had 1 of the 4 woofers out of phase to the other 3. Played them like that for about 4 months. They are all correct now. I still have clean crisp bass. But I lack body and umph. Listened to Wilson/CH Precision yesterday. My wife likes it better than what I built. She still harkens back to the Boulder 2160 and Kharma we heard in San Francisco. I need a living room system. Maybe an Ayre amp and a Kharma with the single woofer and tweeter.

I had no TV for 2 weeka. Needed a moment to chill out. I leaned the old plasma against the wall plugged the DVD in. It was very unsatisfying. I should have keep reading Moby Dick.
Good point. Autophilia is a lot like chasing the great white whale ;-)

I talk to JR often. We meet doing shows. He laid me out with a sub box manufacturer, amps to purchase and a pro grade crossover to purchase that be likes to work with. I will do a swarm if I do anything. At the moment, Im trying to acclimate to the room. What am I working with.

Want to hear something embarrassing. Setting up my system I discovered I had 1 of the 4 woofers out of phase to the other 3. Played them like that for about 4 months. They are all correct now. I still have clean crisp bass. But I lack body and umph. Listened to Wilson/CH Precision yesterday. My wife likes it better than what I built. She still harkens back to the Boulder 2160 and Kharma we heard in San Francisco. I need a living room system. Maybe an Ayre amp and a Kharma with the single woofer and tweeter.
JR convinced me over a few years that a Swarm/Distributed bass array is the way to go. Never would have believed that the Wilson XLF need help in the bass department. The improvement, however, is undeniable. Also, an attenuating the bass to your main speakers (to reduce power demands) and adding the swarm might make the system more dynamic. Lastly, my floor is plywood with a crawl space below, so bouncy. Isolating all speakers and woofers with vibration absorption tightened up my midrange and cleaned up the base. I used the EVP's from AV RoomService.

JR convinced me over a few years that a Swarm/Distributed bass array is the way to go. Never would have believed that the Wilson XLF need help in the bass department. The improvement, however, is undeniable. Also, an attenuating the bass to your main speakers (to reduce power demands) and adding the swarm might make the system more dynamic. Lastly, my floor is plywood with a crawl space below, so bouncy. Isolating all speakers and woofers with vibration absorption tightened up my midrange and cleaned up the base. I used the EVP's from AV RoomService.
Even Jacob Heilbrunn with the WAMM and separate bass towers benefitted from adding two LoKes to the back of his listening room.

Definitely. JR also helped me setting DBA. It is not about more bass. It is about even out the bass nodes. Now I can’t hear much bass bumps and bass overhang almost nonexistent. And the bass is very clean.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing