New Garrard Build

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I wonder if that plywood plinth is overdamping the 401.
Multiple layers of marine ply...could be. As I have the Verdier I guess I'm just not interested enough in the Garrard to try to fix it with a different plinth.

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Multiple layers of marine ply...could be. As I have the Verdier I guess I'm just not interested enough in the Garrard to try to fix it with a different plinth.
In your position, I think I would also live with the Verdier.
But as PeterA points out and Peter and I discussed here at WBF, the Garrard needs something else as the plywood /mpx plinth. You would be amazed.

Reactions: PeterA

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Jeff - very nice build congrats! I had less than great experience with my build in a high mass wood plinth. I think the key is maybe the alu top/bottom plates Peter installed. Great work by Peter as always. Maybe this project has him switch from dd to idler :)

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeff - very nice build congrats! I had less than great experience with my build in a high mass wood plinth. I think the key is maybe the alu top/bottom plates Peter installed. Great work by Peter as always. Maybe this project has him switch from dd to idler :)
He built three of them!

Reactions: leyenda

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Well the Verdier is one of the all time great tables from the end of the golden age of analog reproduction. Please post some pictures of that beauty!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have added the Long Dog Audio Quartz Turntable Power Supply to my Garrard build and I have to say I'm very pleased. Using the RPM app on my iPhone (also highly recommended) my speed would vary between 32.5 and 33.9 while the platter was spinning. With the LDA engaged the platter is spinning EXACTLY at 33.3, its rock solid.

With the improved speed control the table sounds even better and more alive. I had several people over for father's day that are music lovers and they absolutely flipped over the sound of my system. They've heard it with the Ascona for many years and all said it sounded much closer to live music than ever before.

The LDA is highly recommended for anyone with an idler turntable.

1624466665148.png

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have added the Long Dog Audio Quartz Turntable Power Supply to my Garrard build and I have to say I'm very pleased. Using the RPM app on my iPhone (also highly recommended) my speed would vary between 32.5 and 33.9 while the platter was spinning. With the LDA engaged the platter is spinning EXACTLY at 33.3, its rock solid.

With the improved speed control the table sounds even better and more alive. I had several people over for father's day that are music lovers and they absolutely flipped over the sound of my system. They've heard it with the Ascona for many years and all said it sounded much closer to live music than ever before.

View attachment 79447

Nice - was considering one myself for my Gates

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

View attachment 79447

doesnt seems like voltage adjustable . Is the magnetic brake is still engage ?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

View attachment 79447

Which app are you using? I have an Allnic speednic but it doesn’t give numbers

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
The voltage has just two settings: 50hz/220 volts and 60hz/120 volts. The speed break does still engage.

There’s two dials on the device. One says 33/45, the other speed adjustment.

Do they adjust voltage or frequency?

If so, why is the mechanical brake still needed?

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK

View attachment 79447

I use one myself on my modded Lenco, fantastic piece of kit for Idler drives

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The voltage has just two settings: 50hz/220 volts and 60hz/120 volts. The speed break does still engage.

The schopper power supply and I think the Hanze one as well were made on the basis that the voltage had to be lowered to 200 or so because back in those days the internal components were made to operate at that speed. I have only tried on TD 124 not on Garrard

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
There’s two dials on the device. One says 33/45, the other speed adjustment.

Do they adjust voltage or frequency?

If so, why is the mechanical brake still needed?
They adjust frequency, that's why you still need the break to stop the table. There are various opinions regarding the eddy break. Some say it is better to remove it, some say that the break is part of the "magic" of the Garrard sound. I went with the LDA because it was more "set and forget" than the Hanze and it was also half the price.

Reactions: Lee Henley

volken

Apr 30, 2018
Netherlands
HAT, swissonor and schopper PSU were covered in my schopper write up a few years ago. :)All similar.
Sorry not similar the HAT powersupply is a analog oscillator with very low distorsion and a poweramp delivering a stable output voltage and frequency.
The Schopper is a variac with filtering so a passieve solution not a stable output and frequency and still to much distorsion ....
Volken

Reactions: bonzo75

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I do love the installation, the precise work, also the tonearms. But please do me a favor. Those SME headshells need a better substitution for really good sound!

best
E.

www.AudioCirc.com
I have several other head shells by Audiotecnica, Yamamoto (wood and carbon fiber) and I own an Arche headhsell. All different sounding, although I really can’t really say one sounds better than the other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing