New Magico speaker - new M5?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A better solution, would be a ribbon...like the Raal driver. No possibility of ringing and able to scale the heights with ease. IME, all metal domes have a hard edged glare and tend to ring as they scale up. At the price asked for these Magico's, I would think a Raal would be a superior sounding tweeter, across the board, IMHO.
Only problem is AW has a 'relationship' with the folks at Morel.

As Kingsrule said, Magico M tweeters don't ring.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
They sure don't; the challenge is to make them light

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
They sure don't; the challenge is to make them light
That is why Beryllium is an ideal material for a tweeter. Young's modulus of 287 GPa, vs. 69 of aluminum or 120 of titanium. A remarkable material. Not to mention the CVD diamond that adds quite a bit of stiffness, with negligible weight.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: christoph

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yuk! :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Don't worry, they will certainly close that gap soon enough :rolleyes:
There is a sense of clarity in the Magico approach.

Seems that in the Magico ecosystem there are groundcovers (A series - high value with quality), the shrubs (S series - high quality with value) and canopy (M series - the one with the big magic M out in front and where the sky is the limit).

I imagine the 3 tiered structural approach gives them (and the Magico buyer) plenty of lateral and horizontal movement and that protecting the perception of the experiences and also pricing distance between each strata essential to creating a journey of potentially seeming constant movement.

The flowing but ordered range of pathways for change keep the environment working and is essential to it’s ongoingness and also provides Alon with clarity of operation. In the Magico biosphere when you get to one point (either destination or pause point) the next points are always then revealed. This works to keep the buyer from looking outside of the M ecosystem.

Alon as designer and businessman does seem to be a man who applies both of clarity and coherence always throughout his approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA and BlueFox

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sobering, or simply free market economy and technical progress. Glass half full or half empty, anybody's choice.

I'm all for the free market, Al. I think it is sobering because I am slowly realizing that I am being priced out of the hobby. It is simply becoming too expensive to upgrade my system. My choices will be changing because of the ever increasing prices. I'll upgrade less often, and perhaps collect more music or something else. It's only an observation, and a personal statement. Others may have a very different view. That's all.

Sure, it's anybody's choice.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I will be retiring next April, which means my stereo will be unchanged after that (maybe). Not sure exactly what to upgrade before then. Definitely will upgrade to a Lumin X1, but still undecided about the speakers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm all for the free market, Al. I think it is sobering because I am slowly realizing that I am being priced out of the hobby. It is simply becoming too expensive to upgrade my system. My choices will be changing because of the ever increasing prices. I'll upgrade less often, and perhaps collect more music or something else. It's only an observation, and a personal statement. Others may have a very different view. That's all.

I agree about upgrades, Peter. One upgrade that really might interest me is also too expensive for me. A DAC that might be a substantial upgrade over my already excellent one would probably cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Another amplification option that might interest me, Spectral, is too expensive for me as well, also given that I would also have to switch all my analog signal cables to MIT/Spectral. The question though is how much of a gain that would be over the excellent amp that I already have, especially since my speakers are so easy to drive, and thus SS is not needed in that sense. If I would have power hungry speakers the situation would be different.

The one possible future upgrade that would seem reasonable to me in terms of expense would be an active gain Octave preamp. But auditioning would have to determine what difference that really would make, and if there would be no drawbacks over my buffered gain-neutral preamp.

But that's it. Since I'll stay in the monitor/subwoofer lane I am all set with the excellent combo that I already have.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I will be retiring next April, which means my stereo will be unchanged after that (maybe). Not sure exactly what to upgrade before then. Definitely will upgrade to a Lumin X1, but still undecided about the speakers.

Sell the pass pre, step up to MSB and call it a day.

Reactions: CKKeung

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Not really Peter, this is not a free market and efficient market needs to go together to be effective. This market is not efficient mainly because information with customers is too low (mainly because of the nature of the hobby) which is why you end up paying too high prices

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Not really Peter, this is not a free market and efficient market needs to go together to be effective. This market is not efficient mainly because information with customers is too low (mainly because of the nature of the hobby) which is why you end up paying too high prices

You make a good point, Ked. Yet in a sense the market is still free: audiophiles are free to spend whatever stupid amounts of money they want to spend ;). And manufacturers are free to fully take advantage of their willingness to do so.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't think I follow... What's "information with customers is too low" is supposed to mean, and how is that supposed to hurt the market and/or create higher prices?

There's no secret cabal or major conspiracy here, folks. Prices are going up because these products are selling less and less. Since the brands needs to continue to make at least the same amount of X dollars in profit, it's not rocket science that prices need to go up.

I believe I read an editorial by JA where the exposes the two basic models that companies come up with pricing, one based on real cost, and the 2nd based on marketing/how much they think they can sell the product for. In both scenarios, there's ZERO incentive or market push for the prices to go DOWN.

In the store, we see it every day, people being priced out of the market, specially folks who haven't upgraded for 10, 15 years.

Oh, and I don't think that the only time an amount of money is "stupid" is when it wasn't a good purchase. A bad meal at $20 is stupid, while a great one at $1000 might not be, if it was truly exceptional and memorable.

cheers,
Alex

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
New to the forum and first post. I have to say I'm really liking my A3s after reading this thread.
Welcome to the forum.

Haven't heard the A3's yet, but when I was shopping in the $10k range last winter more than a few dealers and forum members suggested I wait for the new magico's. TBH having been burned too many times I only buy used anymore so if I can't get a product to sound at home like it did at the shop I lose less money. That said I would expect the heroic build and craftsmanship of Magico products would translate to better resale down the road.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Welcome to the forum.

Haven't heard the A3's yet, but when I was shopping in the $10k range last winter more than a few dealers and forum members suggested I wait for the new magico's. TBH having been burned too many times I only buy used anymore so if I can't get a product to sound at home like it did at the shop I lose less money. That said I would expect the heroic build and craftsmanship of Magico products would translate to better resale down the road.
I'm with you in that I usually buy second hand but I heard the A3s and had to have them. First and only Magicos I've heard and I'm delighted with them. I sold a pair of Focal Diablo standmounts that got me 2/3 of the way there so that helped.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
I don't think I follow... What's "information with customers is too low" is supposed to mean, and how is that supposed to hurt the market and/or create higher prices?
cheers,
Alex

Crossover points on the speakers for a start...
Crossover build - components...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

There's no secret cabal or major conspiracy here, folks. Prices are going up because these products are selling less and less. Since the brands needs to continue to make at least the same amount of X dollars in profit, it's not rocket science that prices need to go up.

I believe I read an editorial by JA where the exposes the two basic models that companies come up with pricing, one based on real cost, and the 2nd based on marketing/how much they think they can sell the product for. In both scenarios, there's ZERO incentive or market push for the prices to go DOWN.

In the store, we see it every day, people being priced out of the market, specially folks who haven't upgraded for 10, 15 years.

Oh, and I don't think that the only time an amount of money is "stupid" is when it wasn't a good purchase. A bad meal at $20 is stupid, while a great one at $1000 might not be, if it was truly exceptional and memorable.

cheers,
Alex

Alex, I think we can all agree that the high end market is declining. Question becomes whether that is due to ever increasing prices..which are excluding new folks from getting into the market, or as you are pointing out; higher prices being required in order to survive with the fewer and fewer sales available.
Personally, I believe that the ever escalating entry level pricing will not be a good thing for the industry.
OTOH, if it is a known fact that there are not going to be more than ‘x’ number of sales of a particular product, regardless of the pricing, then the current marketing strategy makes some sense...
I would be VERY surprised if that can be stated with absolute certainty in regards to the audio industry and its varying products.

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Alex, I think we can all agree that the high end market is declining. Question becomes whether that is due to ever increasing prices..which are excluding new folks from getting into the market, or as you are pointing out; higher prices being required in order to survive with the fewer and fewer sales available.
Personally, I believe that the ever escalating entry level pricing will not be a good thing for the industry.

Fortunately there are companies that pick up the slack where others continue to be unimaginative about the future of the high end, and offer ridiculous value at stunningly low entry-level prices -- and seem to be successful in their business model.

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Al, what you stated is correct, question is whether there are enough of these folks to hold up the entire industry, which right now seems to me to be headed to a very bad place.
Alex has an excellent observation, most high end companies have bought into the idea that price is the selling motivation...and the higher the price, the better.
Probably true in the Far East markets where they expect to do most of their business, but how short sighted a marketing tactic that proves to be, remains to be seen, imo.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, what you stated is correct, question is whether there are enough of these folks to hold up the entire industry, which right now seems to me to be headed to a very bad place.
Alex has an excellent observation, most high end companies have bought into the idea that price is the selling motivation...and the higher the price, the better.
Probably true in the Far East markets where they expect to do most of their business, but how short sighted a marketing tactic that proves to be, remains to be seen, imo.

Yes, price to some degree is prestige, and high end companies play into that, but to which extent does that still have anything to do with any idealism of bringing great sound into people's homes? Like you probably as well, I am afraid a good part of the industry has lost its way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing