New member introducing myself

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
Hi

I am introducing myself to the members of What's Best Forum. I made a few posts in the turntable forum, but these days I mostly listen to various streaming services and CD rips. My favorite music is newer rock music and classical (impressionist and post romantic). I got into hifi in my college years and since I was in NYC this was diving deep into headphones, my two favorites are the AKG K1000 and Sony MDR-R10 both really great for classical. I also have KEF LS50, but do not use them much since they aren't as good (resolution and detail) as the the headphones. I use Audio Note turntable and DAC. I used to be much more heavily into vinyl, early on I really liked it for the large album art, browsing record stores when traveling the world, etc. But I grew up in the digital age and vinyl noise has become increasingly more annoying. I'm currently a 1L at Yale Law and did my bachelors in human development at Columbia.

Thanks for reading!

-Anders

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great to have you here Anders. And congratulations in being at Yale and going for law degree. I am sure it is super difficult to get accepted there.

I too share your preference for digital for reasons you mention. Good to have more company in that regard :).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome to the WBF Anders!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Allow me to welcome you to WBF and the legal profession. Litigation will be a walk in the park compared to the food fights that occur here. Whether to go digital or vinyl is your call. Most vinyl noise is caused by dirty records and stylus. Electrostatic headphones are a revelation.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
Thanks guys. Amir I am pretty excited about the new (to me) developments in digital like DSP and digital active crossovers. And with streaming it is really awesome the sheer amount of music we have access to, this morning I was introduced to a new version of Bruckner's 8th I had never heard before conducted by Haitink... the third movement nearly had me in tears.

The big downside to listening to new rock music is often even the high resolution digital downloads are mastered poorly compared to the vinyl :( I think I am going to start digitizing and doing noise reduction that way I have a more dynamic version without the vinyl noise.

I have to say I really like that all kinds of discussion is allowed here.

You are right getting into YLS was not easy, but believe it or not I did not get into my first choice (for the location)- Stanford :D . Compared to NYC living in New Haven is really boring, but that means more time with my girlfriend and music.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys. Amir I am pretty excited about the new (to me) developments in digital like DSP and digital active crossovers. And with streaming it is really awesome the sheer amount of music we have access to, this morning I was introduced to a new version of Bruckner's 8th I had never heard before conducted by Haitink... the third movement nearly had me in tears.

The big downside to listening to new rock music is often even the high resolution digital downloads are mastered poorly compared to the vinyl :( I think I am going to start digitizing and doing noise reduction that way I have a more dynamic version without the vinyl noise.

You are right getting into YLS was not easy, but believe it or not I did not get into my first choice (for the location)- Stanford :D . Compared to NYC living in New Haven is really boring, but that means more time with my girlfriend and music.

Rock on! Studies can come later! :p

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi

I am introducing myself to the members of What's Best Forum. I made a few posts in the turntable forum, but these days I mostly listen to various streaming services and CD rips. My favorite music is newer rock music and classical (impressionist and post romantic). I got into hifi in my college years and since I was in NYC this was diving deep into headphones, my two favorites are the AKG K1000 and Sony MDR-R10 both really great for classical. I also have KEF LS50, but do not use them much since they aren't as good (resolution and detail) as the the headphones. I use Audio Note turntable and DAC. I used to be much more heavily into vinyl, early on I really liked it for the large album art, browsing record stores when traveling the world, etc. But I grew up in the digital age and vinyl noise has become increasingly more annoying. I'm currently a 1L at Yale Law and did my bachelors in human development at Columbia.

Thanks for reading!

-Anders

Welcome to WBF, Anders!

I share your preference for digital, to which I listen exclusively. The surface noise of vinyl is also annoying to me, even has been pre-digital; I grew up in the seventies and was happy when finally CD came along regardless of initial sonic shortcomings (I wasn't an audiophile back then, which helped). I do enjoy analog on other people's systems, and find the best analog even superior to digital, but I could never have a turntable myself. I can forget about surface noise when listening elsewhere, but I could not do so in my home.

I used to have a headphone-only system (Stax) but now listen exclusively to speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Welcome to WBF. Haitink is a longtime favorite conductor of mine, mostly because of the Shostakovitch Symphonies. Was he conducting the Concertgbow Orchestra in your recording? As you I listen to most classical in CD, it is the format where I can find the music I praise more. But for some chamber and ancient music, jazz and (very little and limited) rock I prefer the vinyl. I have found that noise is not an issue with good equipment, properly aligned, and a good RCM.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
Welcome to WBF. Haitink is a longtime favorite conductor of mine, mostly because of the Shostakovitch Symphonies. Was he conducting the Concertgbow Orchestra in your recording? As you I listen to most classical in CD, it is the format where I can find the music I praise more. But for some chamber and ancient music, jazz and (very little and limited) rock I prefer the vinyl. I have found that noise is not an issue with good equipment, properly aligned, and a good RCM.

Yes it was the Concertgbow. A superb performance all around, I will have to listen to my others to see if it will be the new reference.

WRT to surface noise, I think it is either my age and/or my sensitivity. I am not talking rip roaring surface noise musicians add in for old fashioned effect. I mean extremely low level surface noise, groove wall noise (I can hear the stylus moving through the grooves in lower level passages, regardless of the vinyl/system), or the vinyl noise floor. Levels that I have heard many dealers and customers describe as digital quiet on systems that cost as much as a McLaren. But I won't go further into this, I'm not here to argue, just learn about advancing my playback system.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A big welcome Anders. There are many threads here on needle drops that I know you'll find interesting as well as many members who have done their entire vinyl library. Look for "astrotoy" here as well as Philip O'Hanlon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing