New Pilium Gear!!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am from Czech rep. and we make audio gear here called Block audio which is also considered as ultra highend https://www.blockaudio.com/mono-block-se/.... Also company called GMG Power which is making highend power filtration and finaly KR Audio making awesome tubes 300B and amps Kronzilla.
Very interesting! I like the basic stats of the big Class A monos -- 200 watts pure Class A. But I am almost more intrigued by the Preamp - designed as a battery...which runs for 15 hours while monitoring the amp...at which point it automatically switches to wall power/storage/recharging. The stats on that one certainly seem to emphasize very, very quiet, low distortion. I am no techie...but this certainly seems like a great grounding or start to creating great sound.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I am from Czech rep. and we make audio gear here called Block audio which is also considered as ultra highend https://www.blockaudio.com/mono-block-se/.... Also company called GMG Power which is making highend power filtration and finaly KR Audio making awesome tubes 300B and amps Kronzilla.
Block Audio combo is darn nice but is class A and runs warm/hot. Good alternative to Gryphon/Vitus.
Lots of goodies coming out of Eastern Europe.
However, Pilium runs cool/cold to touch 24/7/365.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Block Audio combo is darn nice but is class A and runs warm/hot. Good alternative to Gryphon/Vitus.
Lots of goodies coming out of Eastern Europe.
However, Pilium runs cool/cold to touch 24/7/365.
Great stuff! Not to take [too] much away from this thread...but have you heard the Block Audio? Curious as to how it sounds relative to Gryphon?

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Very interesting! I like the basic stats of the big Class A monos -- 200 watts pure Class A. But I am almost more intrigued by the Preamp - designed as a battery...which runs for 15 hours while monitoring the amp...at which point it automatically switches to wall power/storage/recharging. The stats on that one certainly seem to emphasize very, very quiet, low distortion. I am no techie...but this certainly seems like a great grounding or start to creating great sound.
I am told the powercord for the pre is only used to charge the batteries for the pre. It has a headphone out, but I think the location of it is awkward. Very nice pre-amp combo nevertheless, someone’s end game if you have room for 2 huge monos. the monos are class A and switchable to efficiency mode.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
very nice review here https://www.blockaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/audiodrom-BLOCKAUDIO-EN.pdf

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you!

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Pilium amps the rising star under the "uber amps" great ingenieus design build quality and sound....!!!

Was wondering do any of the Pilium power amplifiers owners use the Pilium Power amp whit another brand of preamp and what do they think of Pilium Pre and Power versus Other brand Pre and Pilium power?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Pilium amps the rising star under the "uber amps" great ingenieus design build quality and sound....!!!

Was wondering do any of the Pilium power amplifiers owners use the Pilium Power amp whit another brand of preamp and what do they think of Pilium Pre and Power versus Other brand Pre and Pilium power?
Hi, I have mentioned this prior, but to get the true Pilium sound it comes from using the Pilium preamps with the Pilium amplifiers, utilizing the P-link connection (XLR) between the Pilium preamps and amplifiers.

You must be careful matching for instance a tube preamplifier that might have an 8 or 10 Volt output to a Pilium amp as the Pilium amplifiers are high gain amplifiers. The Pilium preamps have a voltage gain of 2, where the Pilium amps have a voltage gain of 36.

The output of the Pilium preamps is around 2.5V and works well with the high gain Pilium amplifiers.

You must be careful using a preamp that might have a >8V output as it would be possible to damage the Pilium amplifiers input stage.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hi, I have mentioned this prior, but to get the true Pilium sound it comes from using the Pilium preamps with the Pilium amplifiers, utilizing the P-link connection (XLR) between the Pilium preamps and amplifiers.

You must be careful matching for instance a tube preamplifier that might have an 8 or 10 Volt output to a Pilium amp as the Pilium amplifiers are high gain amplifiers. The Pilium preamps have a voltage gain of 2, where the Pilium amps have a voltage gain of 36.

The output of the Pilium preamps is around 2.5V and works well with the high gain Pilium amplifiers.

You must be careful using a preamp that might have a >8V output as it would be possible to damage the Pilium amplifiers input stage.

Thank guys of Rhapsody Audio for the answer and very detailed technical explanation while this was not my question, my question was what are the experiences of Pilium power amp users (if there are any) whit any other preamp brand Transistor or Tube. But very useful info you gave us thank you..... Probably the best match whit a Pilium Power amp will be a Pilium Preamp you might be right.

Also i must say that i follow your shares here on WBF and admire your professionalism and know how. A great brand like Pilium deserves messengers as you and your wonderful company!

"You must be careful matching for instance a tube preamplifier that might have an 8 or 10 Volt output to a Pilium amp as the Pilium amplifiers are high gain amplifiers. The Pilium preamps have a voltage gain of 2, where the Pilium amps have a voltage gain of 36."

Well this is very important information hope its also clearly stated in the manual of the Pilium Power Amplifiers
"Be aware do not use whit any other tube preamp above 8 volt output" imagine some does it whit out knowing it and whit no warning by suplier or Manual.

I will work very soon also whit Pilium Amplifiers and once have them setup settled i will also publish pictures and my findings on WBF and Mono&Stereo both great communicators between the High end producers/designers and Audiophiles all in sake of good sound and ofcourse Music i look forward to share my findings, stay tuned.

Reactions: Bobvin and Marcus

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thank guys of Rhapsody Audio for the answer and very detailed technical explanation while this was not my question, my question was what are the experiences of Pilium power amp users (if there are any) whit any other preamp brand Transistor or Tube. But very useful info you gave us thank you..... Probably the best match whit a Pilium Power amp will be a Pilium Preamp you might be right.

Also i must say that i follow your shares here on WBF and admire your professionalism and know how. A great brand like Pilium deserves messengers as you and your wonderful company!

"You must be careful matching for instance a tube preamplifier that might have an 8 or 10 Volt output to a Pilium amp as the Pilium amplifiers are high gain amplifiers. The Pilium preamps have a voltage gain of 2, where the Pilium amps have a voltage gain of 36."

Well this is very important information hope its also clearly stated in the manual of the Pilium Power Amplifiers
"Be aware do not use whit any other tube preamp above 8 volt output" imagine some does it whit out knowing it and whit no warning by suplier or Manual.

I will work very soon also whit Pilium Amplifiers and once have them setup settled i will also publish pictures and my findings on WBF and Mono&Stereo both great communicators between the High end producers/designers and Audiophiles all in sake of good sound and ofcourse Music i look forward to share my findings, stay tuned.
Thx Amadeus, I gave my answer as I know many/most of the Pilium dealers/distributors around the globe. I do not know of any dealer/distributor or their customers that are pairing Pilium amps with other brand preamps.

The Pilium dealers/distributors would normally inform customers of Pilium products what I noted in my response. The dealers/distributors all have in depth interactions with the owner of Pilium, Konstantinos Pilios and would be familiar with the above notes as well.

Maybe someone will also answer your post about using non-Pilium preamps with Pilium amps. I was just giving my general answer to your question.

Are you a dealer/distributor? I did not realize this when I answered your post, but from your response it seems that you might be a dealer??? I ask the questions as on WBF if you are a dealer you might want to note it in your signature. It is always helpful to forum members to know if a member is a dealer or distributor.

Reactions: Hyperion

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
At a time I had gryphon and Pilium pre amp. Passlabs and Pilium amp. I could mix and match but end up too lazy to do so. Pilium pairs well with its own amp, save my energy for the good music.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
At a time I had gryphon and Pilium pre amp. Passlabs and Pilium amp. I could mix and match but end up too lazy to do so. Pilium pairs well with its own amp, save my energy for the good music.
One additional comment is that the Pilium preamps are fine to match with other amps.

It is the amplifiers when matching with different brand preamps (especially high gain tube preamps) that one should recognize that the Pilium amplifiers are high gain amplifiers, which is noted in the Pilium amplifier specifications. This is the reason that one needs to pay attention to the voltage output of preamps prior to using a high output preamp with the high gain Pilium amplifiers

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
In general with any high powered SS amplifier you should be careful matching with a tube preamplifier. Especially if a tube preamp has a unregulated power supply.

If a tube pre has an unregulated ps and especially with NOS tubes, depending on the the actual tubes, the pre can cause low frequency oscillations which can damage certain SS amplifiers.

You might be lucky with the NOS tubes, but then again you might not. It's the luck of the draw and regarding Pilium amplifiers we do not recommend using tube preamps with unregulated power supplies.

If someone would like to match a tube preamplifier with a Pilium amplifier it is best to first check with Pilium. Pilium dealers and distributors, as well as Konstantinos at Pilium, are always available to assist in these discussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi Bob,

will it be possible to listen to PILIUM at HE Munich in May?
Thanks

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
What does your client think about Pilium driving Q7? Certainly not easy speakers to drive and shine.
That Q7 pic is NOT my customer, it's from another dealer.
Hi Bob,

will it be possible to listen to PILIUM at HE Munich in May?
Thanks

Matt
Hi Matt,

The answer is YES. Pilium will be used in the MAGICO room at Munich, along with VYDA cabling. Stay tuned.....

Reactions: GuyB

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It's great that you are from Block Audio. I have heard lot's of good things about Block Audio.

This happens to be a Pilium thread, you might want to start a thread introducing Block Audio to WBF vs. introducing BA in this Pilium thread.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing