New Stax flagship?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i really enjoy my 009S's.

but i am curious about the SR-X9000......and whether the step up would be worth the $$$ difference.

if my 009S's (which were brand new in Feb 21.....less than 10 hours on them) had a home i'd probably do it.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Stax tend to have all their models available concurrently. I look forward to hearing them, but not in a rush to sell my 009’s

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
Did you placed the order yesterday? because I checked the headamp site today and the price incressed to $6,200.00
I ordered the SR-X9000 this morning and had to pay, $ 6200USD. It is not dramatic. I can't wait to listen to it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

but i am curious about the SR-X9000......and whether the step up would be worth the $$$ difference.

if my 009S's (which were brand new in Feb 21.....less than 10 hours on them) had a home i'd probably do it.;)
I assume our EAR Yoshino HP4 amp would not be able to drive your 009S? (A serious question!)

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021

I also enjoy my STAX SR009s and will keep them. Sometimes my wife and I listen to music together, she will use the 009s and I use the X9000. I am convinced that STAX is serious with this new design. My amplifier is the WOO-Audio 3ES-Elite with Takatsuki tubes. It is simply fantastic with the SR009s.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I also enjoy my STAX SR009s and will keep them. Sometimes my wife and I listen to music together, she will use the 009s and I use the X9000. I am convinced that STAX is serious with this new design. My amplifier is the WOO-Audio 3ES-Elite with Takatsuki tubes. It is simply fantastic with the SR009s.
They wouldn’t bring out a new flagship if it wasn’t better than there previous one.

Reactions: UEM

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I assume our EAR Yoshino HP4 amp would not be able to drive your 009S? (A serious question!)
there are headphone amps which can power both dynamic headphones, and electrostatic headphones; each from a separate output. but not your amp. here is maybe the best one that can do both (plus it will power reasonably efficient speakers too).

electrostatic headphones explained.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm

for just electrostatic headphones 'only' i like my MSB Select Headphone amp......which i consider the best for that purpose.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
there are headphone amps which can power both dynamic headphones, and electrostatic headphones; each from a separate output. but not your amp. here is maybe the best one that can do both (plus it will power reasonably efficient speakers too).

electrostatic headphones explained.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm

for just electrostatic headphones 'only' i like my MSB Select Headphone amp......which i consider the best for that purpose.
Fantastic. Thanks, Mike. Very interesting...i came close to the LinearTube option, but went with the HP4 based on both its legendary performance for 20 years, as well as my penchant for Sennheisers with optionality for planars if not stats.

It was just because you raised the possibility of the option, I thought I would ask. I have no doubt there will be someone who will step up if you wish to part with them and move to the 9000.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They wouldn’t bring out a new flagship if it wasn’t better than there previous one.
Let's delve into that a little deeper.
There are two $50k systems that claim to be best. Steve Gutenberg claims STAX is no longer the best.
Edit: Abyss 1266 TC MSRP $4995 USD (planar magnetic)
It also depends on what best or better means. I think a lot depends on the amplification.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fantastic. Thanks, Mike. Very interesting...i came close to the LinearTube option, but went with the HP4 based on both its legendary performance for 20 years, as well as my penchant for Sennheisers with optionality for planars if not stats.

It was just because you raised the possibility of the option, I thought I would ask. I have no doubt there will be someone who will step up if you wish to part with them and move to the 9000.
thanks.

i think they raised the price for the new guy SR-X9000 to $6200 from $5800 to protect the value of the 009S, and investment of those who bought it. makes sense. i'm betting the dealer/distributor feedback was fast and loud.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Or maybe there is a tarrif or something. I don't know. Maybe you could take a vacation and buy it in Japan.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks.

i think they raised the price for the new guy SR-X9000 to $6200 from $5800 to protect the value of the 009S, and investment of those who bought it. makes sense. i'm betting the dealer/distributor feedback was fast and loud.
Hey Mike, FYI I am going to PM you (not about headphones)...but about Funk Audio which I think you use in your other theater system. Thanks.

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
I received the STAX SR-X9000 headphones two days ago. I spent several hours listening to them. Obviously, it takes about 100 hours for the "burn-in". My first impressions are very favorable. I'm even very impressed, it's like there is no need for "burn-in". Right out the box, it’s very, very good. A very beautiful musicality emerges, a lot of nuances, the timbres seem more accurate to me. Amazing, but the high frequencies are even purer than on the SR-009s. The bass is also better articulated and goes very low. The midrange is smooth and the vocals come out really well. The emotion passes perfectly. The soundstage is wider, the instruments are better placed in space. It exudes an impression of grandeur more apparent than on the SR-009s. It feels less like the music is between the ears, it's as if STAX has managed to bring the sound field a little more in front of the listener. I did not observe any negative points in comparison with the SR-007, SR-009s and Hifiman Shangri-La jr. Everything is better. However, the SR-X9000 requires a lot of power, which is not a problem with my big Woo-Audio 3ES-Elite amp, but you need to crank up the volume almost at 11 o'clock! I can imagine that could be a limiting factor with less powerful amps.

I am very happy with this new headphone, it allows you to get all the quality upstream. It is a sophisticated product that requires ultra high-end upstream to fully express itself. It is really the "flagship" of the company STAX and quite possibly one of the best headphones currently available. I have owned several.
I imagine after a hundred hours of operation it will be even more impressive. Congratulations to the engineers at STAX.

Attachments

• STAX SR-X9000.jpeg
    STAX SR-X9000.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 41

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
You seem very happy with them, thanks for the initial review.
I’m still hoping to get to the Phillipines this Christmas and will go via Singapore and listen a pair, and if I can overcome my initial disliking of their appearance probably purchase them.
Always loved electrostatics, my current room being a bit too small to accommodate a fill size pair.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I received the STAX SR-X9000 headphones two days ago. I spent several hours listening to them. Obviously, it takes about 100 hours for the "burn-in". My first impressions are very favorable. I'm even very impressed, it's like there is no need for "burn-in". Right out the box, it’s very, very good. A very beautiful musicality emerges, a lot of nuances, the timbres seem more accurate to me. Amazing, but the high frequencies are even purer than on the SR-009s. The bass is also better articulated and goes very low. The midrange is smooth and the vocals come out really well. The emotion passes perfectly. The soundstage is wider, the instruments are better placed in space. It exudes an impression of grandeur more apparent than on the SR-009s. It feels less like the music is between the ears, it's as if STAX has managed to bring the sound field a little more in front of the listener. I did not observe any negative points in comparison with the SR-007, SR-009s and Hifiman Shangri-La jr. Everything is better. However, the SR-X9000 requires a lot of power, which is not a problem with my big Woo-Audio 3ES-Elite amp, but you need to crank up the volume almost at 11 o'clock! I can imagine that could be a limiting factor with less powerful amps.

I am very happy with this new headphone, it allows you to get all the quality upstream. It is a sophisticated product that requires ultra high-end upstream to fully express itself. It is really the "flagship" of the company STAX and quite possibly one of the best headphones currently available. I have owned several.
I imagine after a hundred hours of operation it will be even more impressive. Congratulations to the engineers at STAX.
Congrats! Only recently started to appreciate headphones...interesting reading. Good news about the bass as well...sounds like you 'get it all' with this Stax reference.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Thanks for the great review and I’m glad your happy with them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing