New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
great read Rudolf. thanks. i can relate.

obviously my room is a Rives Room too.....although not as much as it once was. but the Rives 'bones' are much appreciated.
Ah, I did not know that you also have a ‘Rives room’, Mike. That is a nice ‘coincidence’.

No Wadax reference server (yet?) in the set up of this audiophile. Apparently the Wadax Atlantis (sa)cd-transport is doing ‘wonders’ in his system.

I am very interested to find out out how the Wadax reference server will compare to the (upcoming) Wadax reference (sa)cd-transport. Still have thousands and thousands (sa)cd’s in my collection. If only these beautiful sounding reference devices would not be so damn expensive.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ah, I did not know that you also have a ‘Rives room’, Mike. That is a nice ‘coincidence’.
:cool: Rives had many great ideas. but not everyone realized it could only be a great starting point. i know i did not realize that to begin with.
No Wadax reference server (yet?) in the set up of this audiophile.
don't see any reference in the article to playing files at all. just looked again and do not see a server anywhere.
Apparently the Wadax Atlantis (sa)cd-transport is doing ‘wonders’ in his system.

I am very interested to find out out how the Wadax reference server will compare to the (upcoming) Wadax reference (sa)cd-transport. Still have thousands and thousands (sa)cd’s in my collection. If only these beautiful sounding reference devices would not be so damn expensive.
supposedly the Wadax Ref Server surpasses the current Wadax top disc transport with files and streaming......i can believe that. especially with all the high rez and even how it plays 16/44 files. the Akasa optical interface does not play fair.

the goal for Wadax for the new 'Ref' transport is to surpass the Ref server. but maybe it will only surpass the current Wadax transport? we will have to wait and see. personally i still have over 3500 CD's and 1500 SACD's, of which 75% i've ripped and play as files. not sure i can rationalize adding the transport, but the thought has crossed my mind. three of those big Wadax chassis lined up might be awesome to see.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
:cool: Rives had many great ideas. but not everyone realized it could only be a great starting point. i know i did not realize that to begin with.

don't see any reference in the article to playing files at all. just looked again and do not see a server anywhere.

supposedly the Wadax Ref Server surpasses the current Wadax top disc transport with files and streaming......i can believe that. especially with all the high rez and even how it plays 16/44 files. the Akasa optical interface does not play fair.

the goal for Wadax for the new 'Ref' transport is to surpass the Ref server. but maybe it will only surpass the current Wadax transport? we will have to wait and see. personally i still have over 3500 CD's and 1500 SACD's, of which 75% i've ripped and play as files. not sure i can rationalize adding the transport, but the thought has crossed my mind. three of those big Wadax chassis lined up might be awesome to see.
What I do know, Mike, is that Miguel (of Tripoint Audio) preferred at Elliot’s listening room the Wadax reference server/dac combo to the Wadax dac/Esoteric transport. Not sure though if Javier is aiming with his Wadax reference (sa)cd-transport to better the reference server. Furthermore I am not sure how far they are at the moment with the development of the reference (sa)cd-transport. I do know that Wadax is not far from introducing the dedicated PSU for their reference server.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

After my visit I can only say that you have done an amazing job in getting the room and system optimized. Systems like yours need more listeners so people can have a good idea of what is possible at home. Bravo !

What I do know, Mike, is that Miguel (of Tripoint Audio) preferred at Elliot’s listening room the Wadax reference server/dac combo to the Wadax dac/Esoteric transport. Not sure though if Javier is aiming with his Wadax reference (sa)cd-transport to better the reference server. Furthermore I am not sure how far they are at the moment with the development of the reference (sa)cd-transport. I do know that Wadax is not far from introducing the dedicated PSU for their reference server.

I never listen to the transport anymore. I have heard the Atlantis X as we had the first one at Capfest however the system at Capfest was not what I have in my room. Shows are that but they are never IMO close to what is possible in a well done room with lots of time and care.
I am probably not a customer for a reference transport personally either as almost all my music is on the server or available via streaming but I do have 1500 or so discs holding down a shelving unit that may want to be played again in the future. I do know this from talking to Javier and Jerome when it is ready it will be something very special or not at all.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hello Elliot, I also understood from Javier that the (sa)cd-transport is going to be something very special. And yes, playing files is (much) more convenient than playing (sa)cd’s. However, some audiophiles clearly prefer playing (sa)cd’s to playing files from a sonic point of view. And I have some cd’s that - as far as I know - are not available as files and sound already very impressive indeed with my Zanden cd-transport and Tidal Camira dac. Presuming that both the Wadax reference (sa)cd-transport and Reference dac will be respectively are (much?) better than my aforementioned components, these cd’s will likely sound really awesome with the reference combo. If only the Wadax reference line would be more accessible, financially speaking ….

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hello Elliot, I also understood from Javier that the (sa)cd-transport is going to be something very special. And yes, playing files is (much) more convenient than playing (sa)cd’s. However, some audiophiles clearly prefer playing (sa)cd’s to playing files from a sonic point of view. And I have some cd’s that - as far as I know - are not available as files and sound already very impressive indeed with my Zanden cd-transport and Tidal Camira dac. Presuming that both the Wadax reference (sa)cd-transport and Reference dac will be respectively are (much?) better than my aforementioned components, these cd’s will likely sound really awesome with the reference combo. If only the Wadax reference line would be more accessible, financially speaking ….
Its hard to be cutting edge and also inexpensive in this Industry. There is no scale in purchasing unique items in small quantities. Most companies are very interested in making large quantities of items with limited quality but very few at making small quantities of extremely high quality parts. I know how this works with the products of the Göbel speakers and the same will hold true with items from Wadax and all other high end companies. Loads of man hours and small quantities in production leads to high prices. In todays market the prices of everything are skyrocketing and IMO it does not look like that is going to change anytime soon. Wadax is also a perfectionist company and I don't believe they see themselves in any other light than trying to create the highest quality and music reproduction possible. I have spoken many times with Javier and Jerome and I don't want to words in their mouths but I believe this is their vision. I know that the Atlantis Reference Transport if and when it arrives won't be inexpensive that I can guarantee. I may not buy one however I damn sure want to hear one :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Audiocrack,

Have you heard anything more about Yamada San's Seikoh 16/44.1khz reference digital? It was first announced to be released in 2020, but clearly things have been held up. I am truly very very intrigued by it. For that level of investment, it would be interesting to see if its redbook only performance can create a compelling reason to focus on 1 format vs going multi-format in digital. (Or at least attract those who already have SOTA multi-format to actually buy the Seikoh for even better redbook.)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Its hard to be cutting edge and also inexpensive in this Industry. There is no scale in purchasing unique items in small quantities. Most companies are very interested in making large quantities of items with limited quality but very few at making small quantities of extremely high quality parts. I know how this works with the products of the Göbel speakers and the same will hold true with items from Wadax and all other high end companies. Loads of man hours and small quantities in production leads to high prices. In todays market the prices of everything are skyrocketing and IMO it does not look like that is going to change anytime soon. Wadax is also a perfectionist company and I don't believe they see themselves in any other light than trying to create the highest quality and music reproduction possible. I have spoken many times with Javier and Jerome and I don't want to words in their mouths but I believe this is their vision. I know that the Atlantis Reference Transport if and when it arrives won't be inexpensive that I can guarantee. I may not buy one however I damn sure want to hear one :)
Yep, fully agree with you Elliot. Not sure either if I am going to acquire the reference transport but like you I am very curious indeed to find out how good it actually is going to be.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Audiocrack,

Have you heard anything more about Yamada San's Seikoh 16/44.1khz reference digital? It was first announced to be released in 2020, but clearly things have been held up. I am truly very very intrigued by it. For that level of investment, it would be interesting to see if its redbook only performance can create a compelling reason to focus on 1 format vs going multi-format in digital. (Or at least attract those who already have SOTA multi-format to actually buy the Seikoh for even better redbook.)
Hi Lloyd, I am sorry but I do not know anything about mister Yamaha’s (new) top of the line dac. Undoubtedly it will be very good (and expensive); as you know I love the Zanden brand and mister Yamada is a great designer with incredible good ears. However, a dac only capable of playing red book will not do it for me. There are so many great sounding high res files to be found and I have collected (and invested in) quite a few of them (currently around 30TB I believe). I do not want to miss enjoying the high res music.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yep, fully agree with you Elliot. Not sure either if I am going to acquire the reference server but like you I am very curious indeed to find out how good it actually is going to be.
I certainly would not tell anyone how they should get their music but I will say that the server IMO may be a better product than the DAC. I have been , along with some friends, been ripping CDs to files for quite a few years and have built up a nice library as well as having Tidal and Qobuz which I have added to my listening arsenal over the last couple of years. I prefer Qobuz however I love what I am getting with my server and of course this is played through the DAC. I personally don't want to spend my time comparing everything but rather listening to my music and new music whenever the time is available to me. The few transports I have tried in my system do not make me want to listen to more discs and in fact make me want to use the server full time.
I have not tried the Atlantis X here and I of course have not tried the non existent at this time Reference Transport. I would like to at some point but more for curiosity than real interest. If you try the server you might see what I mean. The ability to have performance and convenience is to me what high end should be. You might want to ask Mike L. as well.
Enjoy

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
it's possible the Rudolf wrote "if i'm going to acquire the reference server" and intended to write "reference transport". instead.

in the context of his digital media being very high rez focused as is mine too, i think he already has the Ref Server in-bound. so when i read his post i assumed it got mixed up. like you and i he is curious about the new transport, but it's not really in his definite plans.

Reactions: Elliot G.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
it's possible the Rudolf wrote "if i'm going to acquire the reference server" and intended to write "reference transport". instead.

in the context of his digital media being very high rez focused as is mine too, i think he already has the Ref Server in-bound. so when i read his post i assumed it got mixed up. like you and i he is curious about the new transport, but it's not really in his definite plans.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
You are completely right, Mike. Of course I should have written reference transport in my previous post in stead of reference server. My mistake, sorry for that. Like you both I am hesitating about the reference transport: the reference dac, server and Akasa cable combination may indeed be so convenient and good sounding that investing an undoubtedly large sum of money in the reference transport is not the most logical step. Are you guys seriously considering the separate PSU for the server?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You are completely right, Mike. Of course I should have written reference transport in my previous post in stead of reference server. My mistake, sorry for that.
posting about the Wadax Ref dac and server does take a bit of concentration to keep things straight. i'm always checking that i'm saying what i intend to say. so many pieces to get correct. innocent and normal thing to do.
Like you both I am hesitating about the reference transport: the reference dac, server and Akasa cable combination may indeed be so convenient and good sounding that investing an undoubtedly large sum of money in the reference transport is not the most logical step
we are way past logical here. :eek: that said, i'd only even think about the transport if it is a clear step up......which i'm skeptical they can pull that off.
Are you guys seriously considering the separate PSU for the server?
i've gone too far to hesitate now at taking it.......all.......the.......way. assuming i can hear the benefit i'll have to do it. i could pretend that i'm being more cautious.....but why? :p my issue will be where to put the damn thing. might hang it from the ceiling or a wall shelf of some sort.

i do have to tip my cap to Wadax for them to keep making these big tall chassis and logistics be damned. they have their priorities straight and it's up to us to suck it up and deal with it.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
posting about the Wadax Ref dac and server does take a bit of concentration to keep things straight. i'm always checking that i'm saying what i intend to say. so many pieces to get correct. innocent and normal thing to do.

we are way past logical here. :eek: that said, i'd only even think about the transport if it is a clear step up......which i'm skeptical they can pull that off.

i've gone too far to hesitate now at taking it as far as i can. assuming i can hear the benefit i'll have to do it. i could pretend that i'm being more cautious.....but why?:p
I think you are completely right, Mike, about being way past logical in this crazy audio hobby.

According to Javier the dedicated PSU for the reference server is going to bring significant sonic benefits. And it’s introduction won’t take long anymore. So I suppose it is time to start saving money, Mike …

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think you are completely right, Mike, about being way past logical in this crazy audio hobby.

According to Javier the dedicated PSU for the reference server is going to bring significant sonic benefits. And it’s introduction won’t take long anymore. So I suppose it is time to start saving money, Mike …
When you come so far, as to assemble a world class audio system, you don't need to look for things to do they find you. What I mean by that is the companies that you have bought into and have faith and expectations in their agility to push forward you will naturally be interested. So when Wadax brings forth an addition to what I own and love I am certainly going to give it a try. I feel the same way with CH and of course Göbel. I would think Mike would feel the same about Dartzell and you with your gear. This is what I mean that it finds you.
I am not actively seeking anything but like I said Shit happens LOL
I have ordered the PS BTW
Enjoy
Elliot

Reactions: onur

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
When you come so far, as to assemble a world class audio system, you don't need to look for things to do they find you. What I mean by that is the companies that you have bought into and have faith and expectations in their agility to push forward you will naturally be interested. So when Wadax brings forth an addition to what I own and love I am certainly going to give it a try. I feel the same way with CH and of course Göbel. I would think Mike would feel the same about Dartzell and you with your gear. This is what I mean that it finds you.
I am not actively seeking anything but like I said Shit happens LOL
I have ordered the PS BTW
Enjoy
Elliot
I get your point, Elliot. I am 59 and so happy with my Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers, Kondo G-1000 linestage and Kagura/Gakuoh poweramps that me buying other speakers or (pre)amps during the rest of my life is highly unlikely. The same applies to the awesome Tripoint products that I am currently employing, albeit that I would love to add another Elite NG ‘grounding’ box and some of Miguel’s top of the line grounding cables to my system. I have been using products of these three audio brands for many, many years now; however, I did upgrade during these years to higher quality products of Tidal, Kondo and Tripoint. So that speaks for your point that components of some audio brands - i.e. audio brands that strongly appeal to a certain person/music lover - do find their way to one’s house casu quo listening room rather easily.

Although changes for the better in the digital domain during the last 20 years or so not only seem to come faster but also seem to be more profound in comparison to developments regarding other audio components (at least that is my impression), I hope and expect the Wadax reference dac to be my last dac as well (because otherwise I need to start robbing banks).

My congrats on getting the dedicated PSU for your reference server. Looking forward to your listening experiences with this PSU.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have no real experience with the speakers and equipment you own but I am a real believer in there are many wonderful sounding products available today. When I visited Mike I had never heard either his speakers, cables or electronics. I went with an open mind and truly hoped that I was not going to be disappointed. In my career I have had lots of people tell me you"need" to hear my system its far better than _____________.
They never were and in most cases were just awful. Mike never said any of that and we had spoken many many times and he has visited my show rooms and my place as well. I went , I sat, I got oriented and I just enjoyed. This has happened to me a few times in my life and although the gear was foreign the music was not. So whether you own what I have or some other great choices the proof is in the set up. BTW this is not to knock audio shows but the best at an audio show is not IMO close to what can happen in a mature, well done and established system in a good room.
I have gone to audio shows forever and NOT one did I hear something that I thought was WOW thats amazing. I have heard really good, good, ok and crappy but never OMG this is incredible. I wish that I could hear some of the other great set up from members here but it isn't always possible.
Best listening and I will happily comment when the PSU arrives as I am sure Mike will. As I said this stuff finds me. I am not searching for it. LOL

Reactions: Lagonda and econom

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I can just imagine the sound Audiocrack gets with his system. I am on the same path in a smaller scale. And I am also 59 by the way.
I own Tidal speakers and they simply amaze me with their sound.
And the amps are also tube amps, the best combination with Tidal.
Elliot has a point when he says there are so many possibilities of getting an amazing system out there. So many good speakers, amps, sources and cables that you just have to follow your path according to you preferences and be happy.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm not QUITE 59. That's all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing