Noninvasive Colon Cancer Screening Highly Accurate

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Doug Hanson,Yahoo Health

(dailyRx News) Colon cancer is a treatable form of cancer when detected early, but many at-risk adults fail to get screened. A new study looked at a highly accurate new test that may change that.

The study showed that Cologuard was highly effective at detecting precancer and cancer of the colon.

The authors of this study noted that Cologuard would not replace colonoscopy, which remained more accurate and allows for the removal of polyps during the procedure.

This study was led by Thomas Imperiale, MD, Professor of Medicine at Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis.

The research team looked at 9,989 patients during this clinical trial, called the DeeP-C study, to determine how effectively Cologuard detected cancer and precancer of the colon. The patients were recruited through 90 medical centers in the United States and Canada.

A total of 65 of the participants were found to have colon cancer.

Cologuard is a stool DNA (sDNA) test that analyzes a stool sample for altered DNA, a sign of cancer and precancer, that can be taken at home and mailed in to the lab.

In this study, all the patients received Cologuard, fecal immunochemical test for occult blood (FIT) and a colonoscopy, which is an invasive procedure that allows doctors to view the interior of the colon and rectum.

The data showed that Cologuard was significantly better at detecting cancers and precancerous polyps than FIT.

"Cologuard detection rates of early stage cancer and high-risk precancerous polyps validated in this large study were outstanding and have not been achieved by other noninvasive approaches," said study co-author David Ahlquist, MD, a Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist and co-inventor of the Cologuard test.

"It is our hope that this accurate and user-friendly test will expand screening effectiveness and help curb colorectal cancer rates in much the same way as regular screening, including genetic testing, has done for cervical cancer," Dr. Ahlquist said.

This study showed that cologuard was 92 percent effective in detecting colon cancer overall and 94 percent effective at detecting the earliest stages, stage I and II, which are more easily treated.

"The most important finding of the study is the high sensitivity of Cologuard for curable stage colorectal cancer, which represents the highest sensitivity of any noninvasive test to date," said Dr. Imperiale. "It is also significant to note that these results were achieved in a robustly conducted multicenter study."

This study was first published March 20 in New England Journal of Medicine.

This study was funded by Exact Sciences.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is great news. Sadly not great enough as I have to soon get my colonoscopy :).

A friend's wife was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. They operated on that but realized it has spread to her liver so started Chemo for that. Tests like this would allow a lot more people to get screened. Let's hope it becomes broadly available soon.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great news, but just get a colonoscopy, like it or not. Save your life. Any questions.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Colonoscopies are really no big deal. It just feels like you have gas. The prep the day before and being hungry is inconvenient, but that's the worst of it.

When I had mine, I spoke to the gastroenterologist and told him I didn't want any meds for it. He asked me why and I told him what I was told when we did physiology in school. "Endoscopy is a little like rape. If you just relax, it can be kind of fun!" This did get him in trouble with the women in the class and some other faculty, but I remembered what he said. My friends tried to convince me otherwise, but I was resolved. I brought my television viewing glasses to the appointment and watched the whole thing. For those of you with younger children, it was just like an episode of "The Magic Schoolbus" on PBS where they learned about the GI system. It was fascinating and I wouldn't do it again any other way. It was also nice not having to recover from the sedatives. I just drove home and had an uneventful rest of the day.

Steve Williams

Colonoscopies are really no big deal. It just feels like you have gas. The prep the day before and being hungry is inconvenient, but that's the worst of it.

When I had mine, I spoke to the gastroenterologist and told him I didn't want any meds for it. He asked me why and I told him what I was told when we did physiology in school. "Endoscopy is a little like rape. If you just relax, it can be kind of fun!" This did get him in trouble with the women in the class and some other faculty, but I remembered what he said. My friends tried to convince me otherwise, but I was resolved. I brought my television viewing glasses to the appointment and watched the whole thing. For those of you with younger children, it was just like an episode of "The Magic Schoolbus" on PBS where they learned about the GI system. It was fascinating and I wouldn't do it again any other way. It was also nice not having to recover from the sedatives. I just drove home and had an uneventful rest of the day.

Gary

Did you have a colonoscopy or a flex sigmoidoscopy. If you were awake getting that colonoscope all the way around past your hepatic flexure to the ileo-cecal junction,then you're truly my hero.

Sort of like ramming a dew worm up a wild cat's a$$

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I think this is the future of screening: testing for accumulated genetic mutations.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a friend who woke up while undergoing a colonoscopy and he told me it was among the most painful experiences he has ever had. So much so, that at his next colonoscopy he made sure he was totally drugged up. Gary, you must have a VERY high pain threshold.

Steve Williams

I have a friend who woke up while undergoing a colonoscopy and he told me it was among the most painful experiences he has ever had. So much so, that at his next colonoscopy he made sure he was totally drugged up. Gary, you must have a VERY high pain threshold.

which is why I wonder if Gary really had a flex sigmoidoscopy because colonoscopy is very painful

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012

I've had two and there was no pain.

The prep work however wasn't fun.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Gary

Did you have a colonoscopy or a flex sigmoidoscopy. If you were awake getting that colonoscope all the way around past your hepatic flexure to the ileo-cecal junction,then you're truly my hero.

Sort of like ramming a dew worm up a wild cat's a$$

It was a full colonoscopy. He made sure to show me my ileocecal valve!

He kept asking me if I was OK, and I assured him I would let him know if there was any problem. He was very good and I asked questions and he explained and answered them as we looked around inside.

Steve Williams

It was a full colonoscopy. He made sure to show me my ileocecal valve!

He kept asking me if I was OK, and I assured him I would let him know if there was any problem. He was very good and I asked questions and he explained and answered them as we looked around inside.

you are truly my hero Gary. Mine have all been under conscious sedation

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was put to sleep during mine. When I woke up the doctor explained that your intestines only have pain when you blow them up. But otherwise, he can even cut out a section with no pain. Had a friend that had picked up some kind of nasty warm and went in and like Gary watched the whole thing and enjoyed it!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Hail to propofol!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I was put to sleep during mine. When I woke up the doctor explained that your intestines only have pain when you blow them up. But otherwise, he can even cut out a section with no pain. Had a friend that had picked up some kind of nasty warm and went in and like Gary watched the whole thing and enjoyed it!

What you were told is correct. The gas pains are the only uncomfortable part. Cutting has no sensation. It was really a very interesting procedure. Luckily I didn't have to find out cutting has no sensation. He said I was as clean as the proverbial whistle.

The bit of discomfort for the 45-50 minutes was well worth being awake and having a full normal remainder of the day without any drug after-effects.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I've done a colonoscopy as well. No painkillers and no pain at all, only some discomfort. I was fully awake having a nice conversation with a professional, friendly doctor. I don't believe this procedure is anything to worry about really.

All the best.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've done a colonoscopy as well. No painkillers and no pain at all, only some discomfort. I was fully awake having a nice conversation with a professional, friendly doctor. I don't believe this procedure is anything to worry about really.

All the best.

Based on my friend's experience and on medical professional's comments, I do NOT think it a good idea that anyone should be getting the idea that having this procedure without meds is the way to go. Remember guys, these forums are a public entity and are widely exposed, therefore caution needs to be exerted in what is expounded or recommended, at least IMHO.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Based on my friend's experience and on medical professional's comments, I do NOT think it a good idea that anyone should be getting the idea that having this procedure without meds is the way to go. Remember guys, these forums are a public entity and are widely exposed, therefore caution needs to be exerted in what is expounded or recommended, at least IMHO.

I would never recommend anything outside out my profession, especially not within this very sensitive and potentially critical area. I'm not a doctor, but a patient. My point is that this procedure doesn't necessarily needs to be painful or something you need to spend endless nights worrying about. I've done my share of worrying, which is often uncalled for and/or unnecessary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing