Not happy with martin logan expression 11a

Feb 11, 2019
I am using a Cary Audio SLP 98 tube preamp and 200.2 ES power amp. The sound like the absolute sound review (Dry, Shouty, thin and bright) The same electronic on my quads 2905 sounds musical with no issues. I tried a Prema luna tube amp which improved the overall sound somewhat. NEED HELP

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi John,

Initial thought is that you have to experiment with room placement, acoustic treatments and available speaker tonal adjustment options. Having had experience with four different ML models over some 25 years or so, they can be difficult to "dial in" but once done, I hope / trust you will be happy. And my last two listening rooms were definitely on the bright / reflective side of the equation.

I read the TAS review and I believe you maybe somewhat exaggerating the negatives. The reviewer did indicate that the speaker is voiced a bit brighter than the Montis, which it replaced, but he had many positive comments about the overall speaker performance.

Good luck.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am using a Cary Audio SLP 98 tube preamp and 200.2 ES power amp. The sound like the absolute sound review (Dry, Shouty, thin and bright) The same electronic on my quads 2905 sounds musical with no issues. I tried a Prema luna tube amp which improved the overall sound somewhat. NEED HELP
Dry shouty thin bright is just bad set up. You cannot use the exact same electronics as on your quads, you will have to try different ones to get it singing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Dry shouty thin bright is just bad set up. You cannot use the exact same electronics as on your quads, you will have to try different ones to get it singing.
The speaker position may need to be revisited as well. You cannot expect a position optimal for one speaker to work well for another.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
John, Can you describe your room and maybe a picture so some advise may be easier to offer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IiiT IS UNLIKELY BREAK -IN IS COMPLETE.

Feb 3, 2012
Melbourne
We have a chap hear who had issues with his Ethos speakers. Something to do with a panel failure on one half of the panel... Not too sure what's going on there.

Anyway, our Aus distributor/importer for ML replaced the Ethos panels with the 11a panels instead! Claiming that they didn't have a direct replacement for parts, which was still under warranty.
The end result, the chap is massively unhappy with the sound! Claims it to be exactly what the earlier post said, bright, shout and peaky... Doesn't like it at all prefers his original Ethos! I certainly don't blame him and only hope that ML or our Aus distributors help him out.

I have contacted my previous dealer network based in Spore, Thailand and HK. All three of them stated an entirely different thing/ solution was to be able to provide a full replacement with the original Ethos panels, no questions asked! So, again a bit perplexing as to what exactly our Aus distributors have done. Whatever it is, it's definitely not sounding any good.

I also advised on run-in time, at least a minimum of 100hrs since these are brand new panels consisting of "Blade" tech which is ML's latest panel version but to fit this kind of thing into an older Ethos I'm just wondering if this is the right approach...

Any thoughts?
RJ

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If ML can make me panels from the early 2000s, while Sanders was still there, I bet they can surely make them for the Ethos as well. ML service is phenomenal and renowned.

Feb 3, 2012
Melbourne
Exactly! Right?
However our very own Aus distributors are letting this guy down... Now he's having second thoughts of even keeping these hybrids since they've altered the panels with the 11a panels, the bass and integration with the panel is no where close to what he was getting from the original Ethos panels. I'm not sure why these guys did or even recommended such a different kind of panel to install but they did!
I'd still like to see how this plays out though, I'll keep up the updates from down unda. Cheers for now, RJ

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
He should probably contact ML and discuss directly.

Feb 3, 2012
Melbourne
Seems like at this stage our Aus distributors have done all they possibly could. The owner has also received contact from ML HQ I believe and they have assured this was the best solution in order to achieve a full working speaker.

The question is whether this "working speaker" is upto par compared with the Ethos, we would certainly hope so...
On another note, there's been discussion that after these hybrids have actually been upgraded to the new Blade Tech panels, which are quite different to the Ethos panels, perhaps the basics need to be readdressed:
Type of amplification, positioning, sound absorbent materials in the listening room, ancillary gear such as cables and interconnects, the listening room and it's environment in general...

Having gotten used to the original Ethos sound, which he was very used to, now what we have here is something quite different! I also believe that the panels need to be run-in for quite a while before ascertaining if the overall sound is poor to just average.

I've extensively auditioned all the hybrids in the new Masterpiece series and they are all stunning hybrids! Then again they were used with top line tube amps, either CJ, VTL, VAC and the new ARC 160M's. I don't think this particular owner has anything similar or in line with these top end brands but that's a matter of preference and budgets... So I'm hoping that over a period of time, the sound will improve towards a wonderful musical event!

Let's see how it goes. Cheers RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing