Not happy with martin logan expression 11a

Feb 11, 2019
I am using a Cary Audio SLP 98 tube preamp and 200.2 ES power amp. The sound like the absolute sound review (Dry, Shouty, thin and bright) The same electronic on my quads 2905 sounds musical with no issues. I tried a Prema luna tube amp which improved the overall sound somewhat. NEED HELP

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi John,

Initial thought is that you have to experiment with room placement, acoustic treatments and available speaker tonal adjustment options. Having had experience with four different ML models over some 25 years or so, they can be difficult to "dial in" but once done, I hope / trust you will be happy. And my last two listening rooms were definitely on the bright / reflective side of the equation.

I read the TAS review and I believe you maybe somewhat exaggerating the negatives. The reviewer did indicate that the speaker is voiced a bit brighter than the Montis, which it replaced, but he had many positive comments about the overall speaker performance.

Good luck.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am using a Cary Audio SLP 98 tube preamp and 200.2 ES power amp. The sound like the absolute sound review (Dry, Shouty, thin and bright) The same electronic on my quads 2905 sounds musical with no issues. I tried a Prema luna tube amp which improved the overall sound somewhat. NEED HELP
Dry shouty thin bright is just bad set up. You cannot use the exact same electronics as on your quads, you will have to try different ones to get it singing.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
John, Can you describe your room and maybe a picture so some advise may be easier to offer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IiiT IS UNLIKELY BREAK -IN IS COMPLETE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing