Not too many Acoustic Signature owners here?

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
I don't know if this has always been the case, but I noticed the Ascona NEO page of the Acoustic Signature web site now specifically calls out the two available platters:

View attachment 106382

The Ascona NEO platters
Yes i think that has been the case for all time but it hasn't been to clear , reason that it has only been picture of the one with sandwich platter (Invictus) so many has believed that that was the platter Ascona NEO was delivered with , in the latest time they must have realist that they need to inform that there is a standard platter it will be delivered with, and that there is an upgrade available more a more cost of 10K if you want this platter , one more thing the standard platter is delivered with 56 silencer in brass if you want them gold plated there is a more cost on 3K and when you order it they call it the gold line

Best regards OHS

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I don't know if this has always been the case, but I noticed the Ascona NEO page of the Acoustic Signature web site now specifically calls out the two available platters:

View attachment 106382

The Ascona NEO platters
I have not seen this before this note.. Thanx for the info. I guess this was right about time they changed the homepage for this. It has been to much misunderstanding about this since the beginning of the Ascona NEO series.

Well done Acoustic Signature ;) !

/ Jk

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
I have not seen this before this note.. Thanx for the info. I guess this was right about time they changed the homepage for this. It has been to much misunderstanding about this since the beginning of the Ascona NEO series.

Well done Acoustic Signature ;) !

/ Jk
Yes, I am sorry for my incorrect posts earlier on this. I noticed the new website myself a few weeks ago and realized I was misled by a dealer (not on purpose, I think it was confusing for everyone!)

I'm still considering this table, and if I do it, I would get the upgraded platter. But that is quite an expensive prospect.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Note it's only mentioned in passing but you can spend even more and get all the silencers plated in 24K gold or chrome, too.

• Haha
Reactions: Bso and Johan K

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Note it's only mentioned in passing but you can spend even more and get all the silencers plated in 24K gold or chrome, too.
BillK - going from the brass to the 24K gold silencers was a reasonable upgrade compared to the optional sandwich platter. I am struggling with the difference between the two platters, which is an additional 8 plates combined with the 56 silencers to make up the optional sandwich platter. Is that another 10k? It does not pass the cost reasonable test in my mind but what do I know. According to the distributor the optional sandwich platter raises the SQ of the Ascona Neo to the Invictus level. I guess thats worth the 10k and why I will probably upgrade.

Last edited:

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
BillK - going from the brass to the 24K gold silencers was a reasonable upgrade compared to the optional sandwich platter. I am struggling with the difference between the two platters, which is an additional 8 plates combined with the 56 silencers to make up the optional sandwich platter. Is that another 10k? It does not pass the cost reasonable test in my mind but what do I know. According to the distributor the optional sandwich platter raises the SQ of the Ascona Neo to the Invictus level. I guess thats worth the 10k and why I will probably upgrade.

The thing is the platter is definitely a sonic upgrade; the gold or chrome silencers are purely cosmetic, and since I use a mat that hides the silencers it would literally be of zero use to me.

The upgraded platter would I suspect be worth the up charge, but at that point you need to take another look at other tables in that price range as you’re then north of a TechDAS Air Force III Premium S, for example, along with several other offerings and need to take another look as to whether the Ascona NEO is still your best option.

I’m definitely not saying it’s not, but every time you jump $10K you open up a new world of price-competitive tables, and it’s only smart to do your due diligence.

Last edited:

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
The thing is the platter is definitely a sonic upgrade; the gold or chrome silencers are purely cosmetic, and since I use a mat that hides the silencers it would literally be of zero use to me.

The upgraded platter would I suspect be worth the up charge, but at that point you need to take another look at other tables in that price range as you’re then north of a TechDAS Air Force III Premium S, for example, along with several other offerings and need to take another look as to whether the Ascona NEO is still your best option.

I’m definitely not saying it’s not, but every time you jump $10K you open up a new world of price-competitive tables, and it’s only smart to do your due diligence.
BillK - valid points and agree with you. Thanks

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So y'all believe that those round inserts in the platter are purely cosmetic?

The Acoustic Signature marketing literature for the Ascona says: "The Silencers absorb and reduce vibrations whilst the vinyl disk is playing and you are listening."

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
So y'all believe that those round inserts in the platter are purely cosmetic?

The Acoustic Signature marketing literature for the Ascona says: "The Silencers absorb and reduce vibrations whilst the vinyl disk is playing and you are listening."
Ron - BillK’s comment was based on upgrading from brass to gold or chrome plated silencers is cosmetic. Definitely agree on the functionality of the silencers and why the Ascona Neo sounds so grand.

• Love

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron - BillK’s comment was based on upgrading from brass to gold or chrome plated silencers is cosmetic. Definitely agree on the functionality of the silencers and why the Ascona Neo sounds so grand.

Thank you for clarifying!

Reactions: BillK and Johan K

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Thank you for clarifying!

Sorry, yes.

Last I looked, the price differential between the standard silencers and the 24K gold models was about $3750 US.

Every purchaser has to decide for themselves whether that's worth it, as I stated I would never even see the silencers as I don't use the AS mat that makes them visible, and "knowing" they're 24K gold plated isn't worth $3750 to me, as compared to the $11,000 US to upgrade to the Invictus Jr. sandwich platter.

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
Hi just to make it Clear , to go from Brass Silencers to Gold plated or Chrom is a Clear Sonical difference , the Gold plated and Chrom plated Silencers are Made of Copper not Brass as the standar non plated on (NEO modells)

Regards OHS

Last edited:

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Have you listened to both?

I suspect all that is important is the mass.

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC

BillK:

From Gunther posted in FB:
Lets make this clear. Sonically there has been no difference in the past. Since Neo the Gold and Chrome Silencers are made from Cooper and not brass as the non Gold one. So there is a clear sonical improovement you can hear. And the Gold/Chrome always have been immun to corrossion the brass will get by time. Not so much in Norway but more likely in warmer and more humid areas. Hope this answer helps decide where to go. Gunther

• Wow

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
BillK:

From Gunther posted in FB:
Lets make this clear. Sonically there has been no difference in the past. Since Neo the Gold and Chrome Silencers are made from Cooper and not brass as the non Gold one. So there is a clear sonical improovement you can hear. And the Gold/Chrome always have been immun to corrossion the brass will get by time. Not so much in Norway but more likely in warmer and more humid areas. Hope this answer helps decide where to go. Gunther
I ordered my Ascona Neo with the gold silencers to achieve the WAF and it looks like I got added benefits.

Last edited:
  • Haha

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
As I've mentioned before, I use the Synergistic Research UEF record mat, so once the turntable is assembled I will never even see the silencers, so corrosion would never be an issue (I also live in a very dry climate.)

Regardless, I can't make any moves until I find out more on my issues and whether they are common to the Ascona NEO as well or just the Montana NEOs I've tried.

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022

Hi, it came up yesterday in a Conversation between me and another member of Acoustic Signature Turntable Owners on Facebook about differences on Gold Silencers and Standard Silencers. Gunther came into the Conversation and cleared out the differences, it was new for me to that the Gold plated and Chrom plated silencers of the NEO models are made of copper at least now it's clear :)

• Wow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing