Not too many Acoustic Signature owners here?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
@Johan K - The installation went very well. Had my buddy help me yesterday evening setting it up. I had to take the table down since I got the arm board extended with incorrect length (I have a 12" TA-7000 tonearm). All is good. ASCONA is a fine piece of engineering and a behemoth. The sound quality is much better than Montana. I am thrilled with this table.
View attachment 103641
Theaudiogeek,

That is a very good looking turntable! It looks just massive! And I can see you got the DS Audio Ionizer.. that’s cool. I haven’t got that one yet myself, but I will probably later this year.
Regarding taking it down again… The same happend to me with my 12” arm. At the moment I was alone - and had to slide the TT over the edge of the platform to get to the holes underneeth to be able to correct the length of the armbase… and to do that alone with one arm holding the TT to not fall over the edge, and try to screw through those little tiny holes from underneeth with your other arm was a sweaty task - I tell you?… but I did manage. Puuussst !!

Nice that you immediately could hear the difference between the Montana and the Ascona - that’s cool. I heard it too as soon as I started the platter. It was a complete silence rigth after startup - just some noise when the platter reved up, but when it came up to speed there was a total silence. With both the Typhoon and the Montana I could always hear the motors spinning, and non of them was completely quiet when I had them, but the Ascona is.

I take off my hat for you, and congratulations to your new turntable. It’s Awesome - Enjoy!

All the best

/ Johan

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Theaudiogeek,

That is a very good looking turntable! It looks just massive! And I can see you got the DS Audio Ionizer.. that’s cool. I haven’t got that one yet myself, but I will probably later this year.
Regarding taking it down again… The same happend to me with my 12” arm. At the moment I was alone - and had to slide the TT over the edge of the platform to get to the holes underneeth to be able to correct the length of the armbase… and to do that alone with one arm holding the TT to not fall over the edge, and try to screw through those little tiny holes from underneeth with your other arm was a sweaty task - I tell you?… but I did manage. Puuussst !!

Nice that you immediately could hear the difference between the Montana and the Ascona - that’s cool. I heard it too as soon as I started the platter. It was a complete silence rigth after startup - just some noise when the platter reved up, but when it came up to speed there was a total silence. With both the Typhoon and the Montana I could always hear the motors spinning, and non of them was completely quiet when I had them, but the Ascona is.

I take off my hat for you, and congratulations to your new turntable. It’s Awesome - Enjoy!

All the best

/ Johan
Thank you very much for your tips on setting up the table! The DS-Audio Ionizer is an awesome device to control static on the record (especially during winter when the air is dry due to heating). As for extended the arm base, I tried to move it to the edge.. but, I was afraid if the table will tip over. With my buddy being there, it was much easier to set it on the floor and adjust it.

You are correct. I noticed some sort of a vibration (kind of very minor vibration) when I touch the tonearm lifter with Montana. I could hear that noise in the speaker. I am suspecting it could be the DMC-20 controller box issue? The ASCONA on the other hand is super silent. Did notice some sort of noise when the motor starts and then it goes away. I want to say it could be the belt flexing due to the instant start of the platter ? Not so sure. I am very happy with the table.

Is your base plate sitting directly on the HRS base or do you have some sort of a felt between them? I am kind of concerned that it could easily slide and scratch the rack top in my case. Just curious as to if you have put in anything in between the HRD base and the base plate?

Thanks again!

Reactions: gds7368 and Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi there theaudiogeek,

No problem at all - just happy if I could be of some assistance.
So nice to read about your experience when setting up your TT. Great job?! Good to hear from you on the DS ION, it will get my ”***” out of the wagon a lot faster to buy one myself, thank you.

Hahaha, I can see myself in you trying to balance the $50.000 TT on the edge to ruin, haha…. ohh boy - ohh boy, I was acting myself like some sort of circus artist, when I adjusted that 12 inch TA-base, haha. I was lucky no-one didn’t see me - because I think I would been busted off to mental care then - HAHA!!

You’re right about the startup noise, it’s the same here every time and then complete silence.

Yes Sir, I have put three small felt-mat’s onto the TT base. Under the three pressure points, where the TT couples with the base.
The felt-mat’s is about 5cm / 2 inch in diameter, and it works great. No problem to slide the TT on the HRS platform if I wish to do so.

Now: ?
Take a serious advice !! ENJOY your new amazing turntable - it is truly fantastic :p ;)!

Very best regards

/ Johan

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Thank you very much for your tips on setting up the table! The DS-Audio Ionizer is an awesome device to control static on the record (especially during winter when the air is dry due to heating). As for extended the arm base, I tried to move it to the edge.. but, I was afraid if the table will tip over. With my buddy being there, it was much easier to set it on the floor and adjust it.

You are correct. I noticed some sort of a vibration (kind of very minor vibration) when I touch the tonearm lifter with Montana. I could hear that noise in the speaker. I am suspecting it could be the DMC-20 controller box issue? The ASCONA on the other hand is super silent. Did notice some sort of noise when the motor starts and then it goes away. I want to say it could be the belt flexing due to the instant start of the platter ? Not so sure. I am very happy with the table.

Is your base plate sitting directly on the HRS base or do you have some sort of a felt between them? I am kind of concerned that it could easily slide and scratch the rack top in my case. Just curious as to if you have put in anything in between the HRD base and the base plate?

Thanks again!
How did you height match the Ionizer? I have one but it's too low without propping it on something

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
How did you height match the Ionizer? I have one but it's too low without propping it on something
Me as well.. mine is very tacky at the moment. Here is what I have as a base :
1675019062994.png

Here is the distance of the ionizer with respect to the spindle :
1675019109649.png

It's pretty close to the 50mm mark. I am planning to build a maple cube (with spike bottom 1" (25.4 mm) height)) with the size 4" (101 mm) (D) X 4" (101 mm) (L) X 2.5" (63.5 mm) (H) as a base. Curious as to what other are using/planning as a base? The setup that i have is working just fine. I near no static what so ever on a good LP. Another thing I noticed is that when I pick up the LP, I do not feel any static what so ever if I were to get the record close to the skin on my back hand.

Last edited:
  • Love

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
View attachment 103670

View attachment 103671

It's pretty close to the 50mm mark. I am planning to build a maple cube (with spike bottom 1" (25.4 mm) height)) with the size 4" (101 mm) (D) X 4" (101 mm) (L) X 2.5" (63.5 mm) (H) as a base. Curious as to what other are using/planning as a base? The setup that i have is working just fine. I near no static what so ever on a good LP. Another thing I noticed is that when I pick up the LP, I do not feel any static what so ever if I were to get the record close to the skin on my back hand.
I’m sitting here drooling - because I can see pieces of your beautiful black Ascona… Whaaoo!!!

/ Jk

• Love
Reactions: theaudiogeek

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
View attachment 103670

View attachment 103671

If you are wondering if I have connected the ground terminal, I have not. This is because, I have a dedicated 20 amp line and the Ionizer is powered from a regular wall outlet and I do not want it to influence my main system in any ways. I figure by not connecting, it will not have any negative impact to my system or the sound.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I am telling you, that construction is awesome! That carbon mat with those cutouts and brass peeking out is a real beauty.
Ahhhh, yes - just saw it now… Indeed? that mat is the same as mine.. I love it… and Donna Summer does not want lay on any other mat, so I don’t dare to change :p !! No, jokes aside?… that mat actually sounds pretty darn good, and I’m quite sure it’s a keeper, or what do you think?!

/ Jk

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Well that is not cool, because their website is misleading then. It basically says it comes that way, the way I read it.
Agreed, when I ordered my Ascona Neo I thought i was getting the inlays and was disappointed when I received my unit. It is a 11K option. I am now being told upgrading my platter with the inlays will get me to the Invictus sound quality. Hmmm thats a lot of money for some brass.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I love your 3 arm Ascona with D'agostino phono. That setup has to be heavenly.
Well thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it :).
Yes I’m very very happy with the setup, even though it has been quite trixy to integrate everything, and to make everything work together without any noise or any other problems or trouble… But now all 4 inputs is up and running (SL-1200G on 4:th input) and sounds supergreat, though they all sound a little bit different from one and other. But it suits my record collection like a glove;). Wish you could hear it in my sweetspot. I’m happy about it.

Thank you.

/ Jk

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Agreed, when I ordered my Ascona Neo I thought i was getting the inlays and was disappointed when I received my unit. It is a 11K option. I am now being told upgrading my platter with the inlays will get me to the Invictus sound quality. Hmmm thats a lot of money for some brass.
jonaiken,

I can really understand how you feel. And the $11K is a huge amount of money.
But you still have your 2 TA-7000’s if I’m not mistaken… I like your setup very much ;) .

I wonder if one can make a trade with Acoustic Signature - when one order a upgrade from standard platter to the Invictus platter, and send the standard back and only pay the price difference between the two platters… Do you know what mean? That would be a neat thought, wouldn’t it?!

I don’t know - just something I was thinking about…

/ Jk

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Ahhhh, yes - just saw it now… Indeed? that mat is the same as mine.. I love it… and Donna Summer does not want lay on any other mat, so I don’t dare to change :p !! No, jokes aside?… that mat actually sounds pretty darn good, and I’m quite sure it’s a keeper, or what do you think?!

/ Jk
I agree with the mat. I haven't played any records without the mat (fear of ruining the polished brass). The sound quality is exceptional.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
jonaiken,

I can really understand how you feel. And the $11K is a huge amount of money.
But you still have your 2 TA-7000’s if I’m not mistaken… I like your setup very much ;) .

I wonder if one can make a trade with Acoustic Signature - when one order a upgrade from standard platter to the Invictus platter, and send the standard back and only pay the price difference between the two platters… Do you know what mean? That would be a neat thought, wouldn’t it?!

I don’t know - just something I was thinking about…

/ Jk
Thanks love the TA-7000’s - distributor gave me a loaner while my gold plated one was being manufactured and I decided to keep/buy as a second arm - just need my VDH Colibri Master Signature Cartridge back from repair to use. I believe so on trade up and will confirm. The question is how much for the platter in exchange. I am told the Ascona platter can be used on the Montana and Typhoon which makes it a good upgrade for those TT owners. Options

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I agree with the mat. I haven't played any records without the mat (fear of ruining the polished brass). The sound quality is exceptional.
I’m very happy to hear that you’re pleased with the sound - in one or two month the sound will improve even further, due to the TT burn in time… or maybe it was even like up to three month it took here… nevertheless, the sound will improve a lot in the coming month…

/ Jk

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Thanks love the TA-7000’s - distributor gave me a loaner while my gold plated one was being manufactured and I decided to keep/buy as a second arm - just need my VDH Colibri Master Signature Cartridge back from repair to use. I believe so on trade up and will confirm. The question is how much for the platter in exchange. I am told the Ascona platter can be used on the Montana and Typhoon which makes it a good upgrade for those TT owners. Options
Great there jonaiken,
If that is possible, then it would perfect. Japp, let me know how it turns out.
Always great to have nice solid dealers to consult these things with. I have a number of dealers / distributors that really are dear friends of mine, and many of them have been here to either helped me with stuff, or let me testdrive new equipment, or just come and listen for the sheer fun of listen to music. That is cool I think.

/ Jk

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Ok, everyone, I have talked to a dealer and solved the platter mystery on the Ascona NEO platters. Just a few months ago, the table did not feature a platter with the brass inlays, but the overall price was cheaper. Then, they added the platter with brass inlays and raised the price. So, the Ascona NEO advertising is not misleading, because it does now come with the platter with the brass inlays. However, to make it more confusing, there is still a platter upgrade available, which is another 11k. That is the Invictus platter upgrade, which is DIFFERENT than the Ascona platter. Apparently the internal structure of the platter is different, but they both look the same as far as I can tell, and feature brass inlays.

So to recap, there are 3 platters:
Older Ascona platter has no brass inlays
Current Ascona platter does have brass inlays
Upgraded platter option is the same platter as the Invictus (looks the same as Ascona platter, but is different internally).

Hope that clears up some confusion, it did for me.

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Ok, everyone, I have talked to a dealer and solved the platter mystery on the Ascona NEO platters. Just a few months ago, the table did not feature a platter with the brass inlays, but the overall price was cheaper. Then, they added the platter with brass inlays and raised the price. So, the Ascona NEO advertising is not misleading, because it does now come with the platter with the brass inlays. However, to make it more confusing, there is still a platter upgrade available, which is another 11k. That is the Invictus platter upgrade, which is DIFFERENT than the Ascona platter. Apparently the internal structure of the platter is different, but they both look the same as far as I can tell, and feature brass inlays.

So to recap, there are 3 platters:
Older Ascona platter has no brass inlays
Current Ascona platter does have brass inlays
Upgraded platter option is the same platter as the Invictus (looks the same as Ascona platter, but is different internally).

Hope that clears up some confusion, it did for me.
Thank you so much! Mine is 2022 serial. I hope mine comes with the hidden brass inlays?

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Thank you so much! Mine is 2022 serial. I hope mine comes with the hidden brass inlays?
I did order the Invictus platter and payed extra for the upgrade and got it specified on the order spec. so I’m happy.
But it has been quite comfusing for a while.
I’m glad that 2fastdriving has enligthed us all, thank you.

/ Jk

Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing