Note the Date! Genesis Dragons Bon Voyage Party in April!

Hi Carol and Gary

Count me in as I will be flying up from Southern California

I will also be bringing my buddies from New Jersey who will also be flying in, Marty and Russ (mobiusman)

We will be meeting up with Caelin Gabriel from Shunyata who also wants to attend so 4 in all

I will be staying in all likelihood through Saturday and home Sunday so we will be wanting to hear some of those great systems up in the Seattle area and I will begin contacting you folks up there to see if we can get together on Saturday.

We are looking forward to it Gary. I love your speakers but have never heard the Dragon so am looking forward to it

Hi Carol and Gary

I will also be bringing my buddies from New Jersey who will also be flying in, Marty and Russ (mobiusman)

We will be meeting up with Caelin Gabriel from Shunyata who also wants to attend so 4 in all

I will be staying in all likelihood through Saturday and home Sunday so we will be wanting to hear some of those great systems up in the Seattle area and I will begin contacting you folks up there to see if we can get together on Saturday.

We are looking forward to it Gary. I love your speakers but have never heard the Dragon so am looking forward to it

Pictures or even better, videos with sound...and comments please if you can! And, of course, ENJOY!!!

Hi Carol and Gary

Fantastic! I'll try to get a professional videographer to document the event. It's going to be fun - great company, great music, great food.

Fantastic! I'll try to get a professional videographer to document the event. It's going to be fun - great company, great music, great food.

AWESOME! This is going to be fun to watch (and listen to!)...please make sure the videographer knows how to record audio well also!!!

AWESOME! This is going to be fun to watch (and listen to!)...please make sure the videographer knows how to record audio well also!!!

I'll be watching side-by-side with you Lloyd!

It appears this pair is headed here to Phil's (Jadis) uncle :D

I just heard the news today. Finally! Congratulations, Gary, Carol and company. :) My uncle has always owned humongous speakers in the past - Eggleston Ivy, Wilson X2, McIntosh, and now, the most gigantic of them all, and a 4 piece servo system to boot.

FINALLY! There'll be a long line to "uncles" place soon enough!

If my estimation is correct, the auditorium type room can seat 50 to 60 people.

Hello Gary and Carol. I would love to hear your speakers and will be bringing my wife Neinah.

Looking forward to meeting you and Neinah!

A very enthusiastic +1!

I am looking forward to it, Marty. Now the pressure is on.... it's just a warehouse space that we lay the system out in. No such thing as room treatment at all. With you, Russ and Steve coming, I'm going to have to deliver the best sound I've ever done.

The Dragon is coming together slowly but steadily. Today, Carol caught me matching capacitors for the crossover.

Matching capacitors.jpg

Problem with capacitors is that you can't buy them closer than 5% in the large film-and-foil caps that we use. So, to get the tolerance down to less than 1% we end up having to measure them individually, sort them out just to get close. Then, we use multiple caps in parallel to get exactly the value we want.

Here are three values that took me most of the day to find. FWIW, I found that mixing caps in left and right channel to get to the capacitance value I wanted made the speaker sound not as good. For example, to get to 3uF, you can't have 1.5uF + 1.5uF in the left channel, and 1uF + 2uF in the right channel. To get to exactly 3uF, I might use a 2.7uF and then add a 0.1uF that is a little high and a 0.2uF that is a little low.

An added benefit of bypassing caps like this is that the paralleled caps also give me lower equivalent series resistance and inductance - resulting in a more "ideal" capacitor.

Crossover parts.jpg

The gold-plated screws that we use for the tweeters of the Dragon also came in today. Here's what $3,000 worth of screws look like :D

Gold Screws.jpg

I plan to attend too guys! Thanks to Carol for telling me about it as due to travel I have not been on the forum and had not seen the announcement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing