Oh jeez - M6, another super-speaker from Magico

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am not sure. Is this a critique or an opinion poll?
I like Alon Wolf and Magico. That is the opinion poll. You can vote with your feet and your dollars.
Getting your speaker on the cover of a magazine sells speakers. Putting Magico on the cover sells magazines.
Hopefully the magazine contains a competent objective critique.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Lest we miss it, here's another Harley gem:

"Jonathan remains high-end audio’s finest writer..."

Ouch.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Lest we miss it, here's another Harley gem:

I found the entire review often dumb and rushed

Tasos, Harley's comment seems a bit self-serving. However, I have read quite a few posts which describe JV as a very good writer. I, myself, happen to like his prose and his ability to describe what he hears. Perhaps there is some hyperbole, but still, I would describe him as an excellent writer. The best, who knows? I don't read very many reviews these days. Tima is quite good. I've also read some good reviews by Andre Jennings.

Regardless, the often dumb and rushed review was written by someone else, Robert Harley. I let my subscriptions to both magazines lapse, so I don't read these guys much anymore.

Reactions: sujay and tima

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Let's get more serious now... Here's how Magico is pushing the envelope wrt measurements:

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/01/magicos-measuring-accuracy.html#more

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.32.41 AM.png

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I let my subscriptions to both magazines lapse, so I don't read these guys much anymore.

Now that's quite the statement! What led you to do that?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Now that's quite the statement! What led you to do that?

Despite the dirt cheap subscription prices and many years of reading this stuff, I noticed last Fall a pile of six or so unread TAS and Stereophile magazines sitting near my desk. I hadn't opened one of them. It's a combination of less time and less interest. I simply don't want to make the effort to read most of this stuff. Audio is one of four hobbies for me. I am no longer looking for new gear, and the stuff that interests me is not really reviewed. I guess the mainstream used to interest me, but not so much anymore. I'd rather listen to music, read this forum, or do something else.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
what's funny is that not so long ago, Magico fans complained about the lack of reviews in Stereophile :)

although I'll say JA's review was rather ho hum to me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Pushing the envelope[?]"
I contend the"envelope" or SOTA is pretty static.
No doubt Magico has progressed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Despite the dirt cheap subscription prices and many years of reading this stuff, I noticed last Fall a pile of six or so unread TAS and Stereophile magazines sitting near my desk. I hadn't opened one of them. It's a combination of less time and less interest. I simply don't want to make the effort to read most of this stuff. Audio is one of four hobbies for me. I am no longer looking for new gear, and the stuff that interests me is not really reviewed. I guess the mainstream used to interest me, but not so much anymore. I'd rather listen to music, read this forum, or do something else.

Just an way of sailing in audio.

Considering the very low price I still keep the online subscriptions just to have another source of information and read from the few good guys - always entertaining and a source of knowledge and music. Surely I currently read less than 10% of the articles, but in my opinion they are worth my time.

Combined with a few good audio sites they give me what I need to help sailing in the high-end with pleasure.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Let's get more serious now... Here's how Magico is pushing the envelope wrt measurements:

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/01/magicos-measuring-accuracy.html#more

View attachment 60615

The critical question is asking if such advanced methods do not introduce a measurement bias in the evaluation and optimization of speakers. Harman also developed and reported on a similar system to get a merit figure to describe speaker performance, but use a SOTA giant anechoic chamber.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IIRC Magico and Harmon are concerned about predicting how thier speaker sounds in your room. Harmon claims this technique enables them to accomplish this.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Having now read the review I must say that it is actually well written and quite informative (even though I still don't like that one sentence of contention at its end).

I do have to disagree with RH about the power range (low and very low midrange). I don't think that the left hand of piano is the great distinguishing element here. My monitor/subwoofer system does the full range of piano extraordinarily well on recordings that allow it to shine, even though perhaps not on the level of the best.

But where high-quality large speakers (not just any multi-way floor stander) really shine, when it comes to the 'power range', are orchestral tubas and/or the low register of trombones. There, in the (very) low brass, they can have a power that something like my system, or 'regular' floor standers, just cannot muster. Perhaps the best example of this that I have heard were Rockport Lyras in a large room. It would be interesting to know how the M6 compares in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The article posted and this thread are both good reading.

I have never heard Magico speakers myself so I have to reserve my opinion other than to say "good for them" for getting on two magazine covers in the same month.

Seems to me that I recall this happening with several components in the mid-1990's.

Hard for me to read reviews of box speakers in general as I have little interest outside of the technology aspect.

Reactions: bonzo75

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've just been looking at some of the show reports I have written over the years, specifically covering Magico.

In the interests of fairness, the only model I believe I have heard sounding quite good to these ears is the M2.

So there is hope LOL;)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Magico at shows serve up a big conundrum...they typically set up with what the area distributor has for the entire system vs. using the absolute best that shows off their speakers
Example is the first show with M6 and they used McIntosh electronics...enough said

Judging Magico at a show is a fools game IMO...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

My issue with the magazines is the general decline in comparative reviews. Generally I find that only Michael Fremer and Don Saltzman routinely conduct comparative reviews.

I find uninteresting reviews which essentially conclude: “This [insert name of component] is one of the best I ever heard. I highly recommend it. If you are in the market for a [insert type of component] this should be on your short list.”

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
My issue with the magazines is the general decline in comparative reviews. Generally I find that only Michael Fremer and Don Saltzman routinely conduct comparative reviews.

I find uninteresting reviews which essentially conclude: “This [insert name of component] is one of the best I ever heard. I highly recommend it. If you are in the market for a [insert type of component] this should be on your short list.”

Your first point: it's not so much those author's being special in terms of desire to compare, as it is the availability of gear for doing a compare. Fremer likely has products coming out his ears and is able to hold onto them for long periods. I don't recall ever doing a review with no comparison. Different 'zones have different requirements. But one simply cannot ask a manufacturer for a comparable review sample for the purpose of using it for comparison. Only a desperate manufacturer would bite on that. it takes considerable time to, review two products, with only one being the review subject. It's more likely to have a prior edition of a product to compare with a new version. Some readers can only tolerate immediate back-to-back A/B type comparison and thus you usually don't get a comparison to a product you last heard two months ago.

Point two: Imo you'll miss a lot of excellent products if you rule out such review conclusions. Granted the language may be hackneyed, but presumably the sentiment is not.

Reactions: ack and DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing