On the subject of tweaks!

Steve's cable has what is called a transparent end and is a hospital grade cable. I'm sure if somebody messaged the U.S. rep they could supply a part# ....should be spec'd like this
Green dot hospital grade 5-15p transparent 3x14 awg EL701 female
I don't think the transparent end matters as long as it has the same type of ends (non transparent).

Go for it.
Tumbler/Ching Cheng Wire Material Co. Ltd
4241 Business Center Drive
Fremont California United States 94538
Tel : +1 (510) 6573002
Fax : +1 (510) 7701933
info@tumblerpower.com
http://linvoxcorp.com/

This looks to be a 16 gauge...but a hospital grade
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHING-CHENG-10-FT-DETACHABLE-POWER-SUPPLY-CORD-GREEN-DOT-HOSPITAL-GRADE-13A-125V-/201930921867

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and NorthStar
Steve's cable has what is called a transparent end and is a hospital grade cable. I'm sure if somebody messaged the U.S. rep they could supply a part# ....should be spec'd like this
Green dot hospital grade 15-5p transparent 3x14 awg EL701 female
I don't think the transparent end matters as long as it has the same type of ends (non transparent).

The end reminds me of the Jellyfish cable which was also a no frills, inexpensive quality power cord.

I for one appreciate Bob laying links to cables from the same manufacturer. I'm sure the one David chose may not be the only neutral one in the range especially as it seems as though they produce rather a lot of cables. They're all cheap, it probably wouldn't hurt to try them all!

Reactions: NorthStar
I for one appreciate Bob laying links to cables from the same manufacturer. I'm sure the one David chose may not be the only neutral one in the range especially as it seems as though they produce rather a lot of cables. They're all cheap, it probably wouldn't hurt to try them all!

ya... we'll wait on your report, not you on ours!

Steve,
Didn't we see this design hanging on the wall at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC when we visited a few weeks ago? I think some modern artist made it and it was valued at 5 million dollars. Sounded like crap however. Probably a bad room.
Msrty

the one idea that I would love to explore with the CC PC is to do your experiment and wrap a pair of these to create an 11 gauge cable.

Well, one difference is David can repeat similar experiences in a few dozen systems with CC PC's. Yours may work perfectly for you but that isn't a very universal recommendation, based on one stereo.

The stock PCs on my Pass Labs gear is all Ching Cheng. I prefer them to the few other cords I've tried. But, at first, I was not as impressed with the CCs as I was with some of the others. Perhaps that is the whole point. Being "impressed" after a short listen often sells and can be exciting.

Longer term satisfaction is my goal. I am finding that I have been walking on a long and winding road, and I have often taken the wrong fork and had to walk back and move in the other direction to progress forward, however slowly.

The stock PCs on my Pass Labs gear is all Ching Cheng. I prefer them to the few other cords I've tried. But, at first, I was not as impressed with the CCs as I was with some of the others. Perhaps that is the whole point. Being "impressed" after a short listen often sells and can be exciting.

Longer term satisfaction is my goal. I am finding that I have been walking on a long and winding road, and I have often taken the wrong fork and had to walk back and move in the other direction to progress forward, however slowly.
Nicely said Peter. I think your post represents the majority of, if not all of the readers.
I spent 5 days at David‘s house a few years ago and that’s pretty much what CC does. It creates grear sound from top to bottom but lacks in dynamics to some extent. Thats why Marty’s thought of creating an 11 gauge by winding two of these would allow for some overall improvement in dynamics is something to consider.

Here’s another caveat. As I stated I use CC on all front end gear except the Extreme and I said I bet the CC would perform fine.

my phonostage as are all my Lamm components, dual mono , dual power supply. Hence I need 2 PC’s per component. I have a pair on my phonostage with the ground lifted ( amputated is a better way to say it as no cheater is involved). This was done to eliminate a hum that was otherwise resistant to every other thing I did first. Knowing where the ground was allows me to plug both phono power cords in the same AC duplex such thst polarity is preserved.

Nicely said Peter. I think your post represents the majority of, if not all of the readers.
I spent 5 days at David‘s house a few years ago and that’s pretty much what CC does. It creates grear sound from top to bottom but lacks in dynamics to some extent. Thats why Marty’s thought of creating an 11 gauge by winding two of these would allow for some overall improvement in dynamics is something to consider.

IME, you need to reduce inductance rather than resistance to get an improvement in this area, but reducing resistance could certainly help to a degree, especially if the contacts in the molded plugs are an issue. This is the actually a main issue with molded PCs. It is possible if you were to cut off the plugs and replace with plugs that use clamps for the contacts it would also improve the sound, and it would make it easy to try a double run.

The other possible issue is shielding, if the CCs are shielded and the shielding is close to the wires it'll dull dynamics, especially in amps.

My understanding is hospital grade cords are not shielded.

I don't know where to get them these days, I haven't searched for them for a long time. I'll try to google around and see who has stock.
david
Are you out of stock David ?
I need 5 more for my system :)

IME, you need to reduce inductance rather than resistance to get an improvement in this area, but reducing resistance could certainly help to a degree, especially if the contacts in the molded plugs are an issue. This is the actually a main issue with molded PCs. It is possible if you were to cut off the plugs and replace with plugs that use clamps for the contacts it would also improve the sound, and it would make it easy to try a double run.

The other possible issue is shielding, if the CCs are shielded and the shielding is close to the wires it'll dull dynamics, especially in amps.

Or my speakers are two way, lack a tweeter and roll of at 16khz. People are used to hearing pssst, pssst, pssst not present with my horns sometimes think that the system isn't dynamic enough and sometimes attribute to other factors rather than the nature of the beast and how I hear naturally.

david

Steve,
Didn't we see this design hanging on the wall at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC when we visited a few weeks ago? I think some modern artist made it and it was valued at 5 million dollars. Sounded like crap however. Probably a bad room.

i have a couple of those.

like them fine.

Reactions: marty
Or my speakers are two way, lack a tweeter and roll of at 16khz. People are used to hearing pssst, pssst, pssst not present with my horns sometimes think that the system isn't dynamic enough and sometimes attribute to other factors rather than the nature of the beast and how I hear naturally.

david

Sure, but it sounds like they both use them in their own systems and I know both Steve and Marty have tried some different cables. I would guess the comment is more about their own systems than yours as telling what a power cable is doing in another person's system is a leap.

My own system rolls off about the same and I've gone back and forth about using a tweeter. Most tweeters make the sound worse but the Fostex T500 is very transparent and blends well.

Contacted Ying at the U.S. distributor and no stock on any green dot hospital grade 3x14 cords. 3 to 4 month delivery. I asked him to quote me cost on 20 ten footers. FYI

Sure, but it sounds like they both use them in their own systems and I know both Steve and Marty have tried some different cables. I would guess the comment is more about their own systems than yours as telling what a power cable is doing in another person's system is a leap.

My own system rolls off about the same and I've gone back and forth about using a tweeter. Most tweeters make the sound worse but the Fostex T500 is very transparent and blends well.

Dave,
Totally agree. indeed it's not just about system specificity, but application specificity. As I said previously, I find the CC a solid, reference caliber PC (reference ?best; but more as a reference for neutrality and musicality) for gear that does not draw significant current. For my Soulution gear, I use a Furutech DPS 4.1 with specific terminations that you were kind enough to assemble beautifully for me.
See posts #51, #59
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/furutech-ncf-fi-50m-power-plug-revised-improved.28500/page-3
Marty

I am finding that I have been walking on a long and winding road, and I have often taken the wrong fork and had to walk back and move in the other direction to progress forward, however slowly.

Peter,
This is such an essential concept of our hobby and one that is rarely, if ever, talked about. Over time we generally buy components that are always supposedly better than the last (or else we wouldn't buy them, right?) But then it may occur later, we come to the uneasy awareness we took one step backwards or sideways rather than one step forward. And that, as we all know, is frustrating as hell. The main reason these mis-steps occur is expectation bias that the new purchase is surely better, and that is not easily overcome. Indeed when it finally occurs, we slap ourselves in the forehead and say "idiot, what was I thinking?".
Ah the joys of our hobby.
Thanks for reminding me I'm not alone here.
Marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing