On the subject of tweaks!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is neutral about absolute transparency or is this neutral still possibly about distortion or degradation but just an even handed degradation. Is neutrality essentially more based in not impacting on tonality or is it about not creating an imbalance or shift in the essential character of the signal even if may still have some levels of induced distortion but that these maybmask or veil essentially evenly.
Transparency is also relative to the components of a system but in my definition if it's veiled it's not neutral. The same goes for the rest if the induced degradation, distortion is audible and distracting then it's not neutral. Neutral does not mean total absence of color either.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Bob,
It would be nice if you amended your post saying specifically that these are NOT the Ching Cheng power cables endorsed by David. Otherwise distracted people who have not be following regularly WBF can buy them by mistake.

Agreed.

That's why I asked my question. Where does one get the ones endorsed by David?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Transparency is also relative to the components of a system but in my definition if it's veiled it's not neutral. The same goes for the rest if the induced degradation, distortion is audible and distracting then it's not neutral. Neutral does not mean total absence of color either.

david
There are many many graduations of being veiled. I would rather use clarity...as in clarity in a natural setting. Of course the degree of being veiled is based on experience of which you and many posting on this topic have much. IMHO

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
At least you read my post (unlike Folsom.)

I get the idea of neutrality as you describe which seems standard usage in this context.
I understand we hear differences between different wires relative to one another.
I don't believe neutral is lacking in tone color or some other attribute of music that we hear, say, in the concert hall or see in a score.

Would you recognize neutral if you only have a single brand? Even if you could try it in multiple systems?

Tima, I read your post several times. My first sentence stands correct, you didn't know quite enough what to ask so I filled you in with the ponderous questions about the actual mechanics of power cords. I'm not trying to be rude, but almost all of your questions surrounded a false belief in what power cords do.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't know where to get them these days, I haven't searched for them for a long time. I'll try to google around and see who has stock.
david

If it's impossible to find them maybe I could organize a group buy? I don't know if enough members would be interested but I do them often for other stuff... I don't see any reason why not to do it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There are many many graduations of being veiled. I would rather use clarity...as in clarity in a natural setting. Of course the degree of being veiled is based on experience of which you and many posting on this topic have much. IMHO
I'm good with any verbiage that would bring clarity (no pun intended) to the subject. It would be much easier if we were all sitting in one room and having this conversation.

david

Reactions: RogerD

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If it's impossible to find them maybe I could organize a group buy? I don't know if enough members would be interested but I do them often for other stuff... I don't see any reason why not to do it.
I'm looking at supply houses with possible old inventory CC's current version of the this cord is spec'd slightly different and I have no idea even if the conductors are still the same or not. Problem in ordering direct is minimum quantities of thousands, not something I recommend without knowing what we're getting.

david

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I purchased some Chengs from David a year or so ago. I had a a mix of Kimber, Tara, Signal Cable and Shunyata cords in the system. I found that the Chengs were superior in sound (smoothness or naturalness) than the Kimber, Tara and Shunyata. The Signal cable was closest to the Chengs, and funny enough they are the cheapest of the list of my existing power cables.

I went all Chengs.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
How does one even know if ones being sold are the "real" ones?

Are they the EL-701s? 10A?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Indeed. It must be known what is being bought. Thousands is an awful lot. I was hoping for hundreds. The price wouldn’t be $5 any which way, as enough orders have to be placed to make the cost, but could probably be kept cheap if the min order isn’t too bad.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
There should be some codes on the cables. David do you know the gauge size ie 3x12 or 3x10?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
On neutrality there are some tests that can be done on a comparitive basis.

1. Resolution. Self explanatory....

2. Soundstage and Imaging. Improvements in this area mean improvements in clarity and resolution, it's a good indicator.

3. Fatigue. Lack of is best of course and this is a measure of how much your nervous system is being subject to sounds that stimulate alarm.

4. Differences in timbre. Trumpets and Saxophones should be distinct.

5. Differences between recordings and how they are presented by the system. Lack of neutrality introduces a sameness to all recordings in different ways.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ching Chengs are on non-critical components of mine as I found WyWires better (not expensive, either). I posted up a review of the CC that a forum member did with multiple cords. Note, I tend to be skeptical when it comes to cables and tweaks so was biased towards CCs during my experiments.

I certainly would start out with CCs while assembling a system and that's my normal recommendation. Non-star quad Mogami ICs as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing