Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray player | Brand new release today

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017

That's not Zero Zone but a different company called ID Works out of Hong Kong that has a lot of customization options for their LPS products (different windings, copper plate, thick gold traces, etc.):

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=104962&extra=page=1

They also have a Facebook page where you can order items.

An interesting option for those who care about analog performance.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If people are going to use the UDP-20X for audio they should be buying the 205. It is going to sound better than a modded 203.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
If people are going to use the UDP-20X for audio they should be buying the 205. It is going to sound better than a modded 203.

Is that based on any experience or just speculation?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is that based on any experience or just speculation?

Based on reviews of the 2 units, the differences between the units with respect to the audio section and how Oppo has been offering 2 different units for years, one always targeting a higher end audio crowd.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Based on reviews of the 2 units, the differences between the units with respect to the audio section and how Oppo has been offering 2 different units for years, one always targeting a higher end audio crowd.

What Oppo has done is provide two units fitting certain specifications and price points. To then attempt to extrapolate from that that a modded 203 can't outperform a stock 205 for audio purposes is a strange conclusion. In fact, I would be surprised if a fully modded 203 such as the one offered by Coris would not clearly outperform a stock 205. But I'm just speculating and leave it to people who have tried both to give a useful opinion.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Maybe you would find these comments useful:

So what does the UDP-205 offer for more than 2X the price of the UDP-203?

Audio upgrades, to satiate the most discriminating audiophiles. The UDP-205 provides reference-level sound quality through the balanced analog outputs, improves the clock precision of the HDMI audio output, and increases the power of the built-in headphone amplifier to make it more capable of driving a wider assortment of high end headphones. By comparison, the UDP-203 has no headphone output. For the analog output stages, the UDP-205 utilizes two ES9038PRO DACs, which are the flagship of the ESS Sabre Pro series, delivering best-in-class audio performance. The UDP-203 uses a single 8-channel 32 bit DAC from AKM called the AK4458VN. The UDP-205 features a high-stability, high-precision HDMI clock and a special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit which is said to reduce jitter and eliminate timing errors on their secondary HDMI output that is dedicated for audio. Unfortunately, my Audio Precision test gear doesn't have the module to test jitter, but quite frankly I haven't found jitter be an issue in hardware since it was significantly improved in HDMI 1.3. I still don't doubt Oppo did something that is measurable as per their tech note, but I'm not sure it's something that translates to audibility.

Coris can speak for his mods but I do not believe they significant enough to make up for the documented differences between the units.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
The last “upgrade” to the 203 I have planned is an incoming Kanex HDMI de-embedder so that I can obtain full resolution audio from movie soundtracks (spdif is restricted to 16/48 2 channel PCM output due to Hollywood restrictions). Not sure how much of a difference that’s going to make as everything sounds pretty spectacular right now but for ~$30 used it’s not much of a gamble.

So after conducting more research on Blu Ray audio, I've learned that almost every movie soundtrack (including 4k) is either 16/48 (meaning I haven't been missing anything via spdif) or 24/48 (meaning I've been missing some dynamic headroom although given the typical noise floor in most residences, it might not be audible).

Glad I only paid $30 for the Kanex as I'm not expecting to hear much, if any, difference on movie soundtracks. I have a couple of go-to 24/48 soundtracks (Fifth Element and Chronicles of Riddick) and a 24/96 (Dredd JP - this might be an upsample as I understand that digital movie soundtrack recordings top out at 24/48, but it's a mind blowing soundtrack in any case) for the test. If I can't hear a difference in my system then it'll be back to spdif.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
So, given that I'm still blown away by the Oppo's performance since the power delivery upgrade, I decided to go all in on the Kanex HDMI de-embedder as I've also now bought it a linear power supply to really see if it makes a difference without wondering about the harm the wall wart standard SPS the Kanex comes with is doing.

One final question is do I need to care about the HDMI cable from the Oppo to the Kanex (video is being handled seperately via another HDMI cable from Oppo directly to TV) and if so, what's a decent option within reason price wise? I'm currently planning on using this HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N343SBS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2REBULWX98LHD&psc=1

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
So, given that I'm still blown away by the Oppo's performance since the power delivery upgrade, I decided to go all in on the Kanex HDMI de-embedder as I've also now bought it a linear power supply to really see if it makes a difference without wondering about the harm the wall wart standard SPS the Kanex comes with is doing.

One final question is do I need to care about the HDMI cable from the Oppo to the Kanex (video is being handled seperately via another HDMI cable from Oppo directly to TV) and if so, what's a decent option within reason price wise? I'm currently planning on using this HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N343SBS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2REBULWX98LHD&psc=1

It's a good question; the best high resolution audio HDMI cable.

Here's what Oppo says in regards to the HDMI audio only output from the 205:
https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/Under...io-Jitter-Reduction-Circuit-OPPO-UDP-205.html

* The HDMI cable link you provided seems to be adequate and affordable. I like it.
But then I am not an expert when it comes to high end HDMI cables.
We don't see many comparison tests for Audio only, yet.

And the one that comes with both the 203 and 205 is premium certified for 4K UHD. It's approximately a $5 HDMI cable.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115427-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B01GCGKBWC
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428

Your question on high audio quality transfer from a HDMI cable demands investigation. In accordance to the player's price...the $550 Oppo 203.

And for the Oppo 205 ($1,300), is that same HDMI cable from the link you provided ($12) all we need for best quality audio signal transfer? I'm on it; searching on the web to see what I can come up with.
It's a question for the pros, the golden ears, the audio scientists, the ABX testers, the super music listeners, the people who make measurements of various HDMI cables and who listened to them first to hear if they can see variations.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
They are discussing HDMI cables that don't choke with 4K pictures, 4:4:4, 60fps, Dolby Vision ... Video.
I don't recall the emphasis on the Audio equation. ...Like from strictly high res music listening.

You are not going to see a lot of discussion on that because HDMI is the noisiest of the digital routes for audio. Coaxial, optical and USB are all preferred. I don’ think many of the high (or even low) end DACs have HDMI capabilities.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You are not going to see a lot of discussion on that because HDMI is the noisiest of the digital routes for audio. Coaxial, optical and USB are all preferred. I don’ think many of the high (or even low) end DACs have HDMI capabilities.

100% agree. I prefer the analog connections myself, but 4K/8K HDMI 2.1 provides easy and simple multichannel digital access to digital bass management and digital room equalization for high res audio music listening in stereo (5.1, 7.1, 9.2.4, ...) and 32 channels uncompressed audio.
You cannot do that with analog, digital optical and coaxial, and USB.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12095/hdmi-21-specification-released
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
100% agree. I prefer the analog connections myself, but 4K/8K HDMI 2.1 provides easy and simple multichannel digital access to digital bass management and digital room equalization for high res audio music listening in stereo and up to twenty-four channels.
You cannot do that with analog, digital optical and coaxial, and USB.

Why can’t you do that with analog? The 203 and 205 both have 7.1 analog outs. If you have a processor which can take analog inputs that would be the way to go. Maybe I am misunderstanding what is trying to be accomplished.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Why can’t you do that with analog? The 203 and 205 both have 7.1 analog outs. If you have a processor which can take analog inputs that would be the way to go. Maybe I am misunderstanding what is trying to be accomplished.

1. You don't have access to the superior digital bass management (pre/pro) and digital room EQ from using the analog 7.1-channel connection.
2. No Dolby Atmos, no DTS:X, no Auro-3D.
3. The OP is asking about quality HDMI Audio cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3...LWX98LHD&psc=1

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
1. You don't have access to digital bass management and digital room EQ from using the analog 7.1-channel connection.
2. No Dolby Atmos, no DTS:X, no Auro-3D.
3. The OP is asking about quality HDMI Audio cable.

I understand. HDMI is not a high quality audio source. Plus, once you apply all the processing I cannot see how the cable matters. JMO.

Plus, for audio only how does Atmos come into play? If he is using the Kanax unit isn't he only outputting to coaxial or optical anyway? He is just ending up with 2 channels with that device.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My Sony XBR-65X900F arrived yesterday, and now I have a TV for my spare Oppo 203. Started watching Godfather 2 last night during dinner. For an old movie, the picture is good. The sound isn't all that great, but that is probably more to the movie sound than the TV sound. I will try a new 4K UHD movie this weekend, and hope for better sound. I really don't feel like building another HT for a basic dinner TV. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing