Opus1 vs. MSL Platinum

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, Tang, do you think the differences in sound are more the result of the different turntables and tonearms and wires, or the different cartridges? Or is it hard to say?

I know all 3 tables, two of them intimately I hear the table setups more than the cartridges in the videos but differences are a lot bigger in real life than what you hear online.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
David, Tang, do you think the differences in sound are more the result of the different turntables and tonearms and wires, or the different cartridges? Or is it hard to say?

Dear Peter,

The difference in sound from EMT setup vs. the other two setups come mostly from the tonearm, wire and tt not the cartridges. What David described as “homogenization” I beleive are the “Blings” or the “show off nature” of modern arms, carts that Kronos and AF1 synergize them further. I am not saying which one is more real. This depends on one’s perception of truth and preference.

And yes you can hear the difference a lot more in real in room listening. With EMT setup, You can hear solidity and density of sound image much more with less sharp transients and blings while still maintaining excellent realism. The tone is also very comfortable to the ears.

Kind regards,
Tang

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
i wonder how we all react to those videos Tang was sharing gracefully with us if we didn't knew what playing TT+CART wise...
as it not close to the actual sound Tang listen in his room, their are some differences.. but maybe (i'm talking for myself..) if i didn't knew, i would peak differently.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i wonder how we all react to those videos Tang was sharing gracefully with us if we didn't knew what playing TT+CART wise...
as it not close to the actual sound Tang listen in his room, their are some differences.. but maybe (i'm talking for myself..) if i didn't knew, i would peak differently.

Great point. Listening blind might indeed show different results. BTW, how do you like the V-12 compared to the other two arms on your AF3? Nice system.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

The sound from the video somehow pull instruments colser to each other and to the center. So in term of image placement and seperation, it is all wrong from real sound in the room. You also hear no depth in the video. Dimensionality of sound, its density, energy, bass impact, vibration and air that hit you, which are attributes to realism cant possibly show in the video. You also get only approximation in term of tone.

But the video definitely can show the difference in sound from one setting to another. Those difference you hear are real in the room but you wont understand the extent to which they are differed from listening the video. My purpose of sharing video is to give friends who are interested in MSL and Opus some idea in differences of the sound of the two. The EMT/Atlas was thrown in because Peter was asking for it just for fun. Actually all video sharings are for fun :). I am incapable to write so specific of the two carts because I am not good in writing and they are not drastically different. So hearing them yourself together with some of my written comments earlier might make a better description of their sound. The quietness, the sounds pop out from a blank sheet, those are real. The two carts ride groove very very quietly. Both Opus and MSL are excellent. If you happen to like the sound of MSL, you are lucky to beable to pay much less money than the Opus.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Great point. Listening blind might indeed show different results. BTW, how do you like the V-12 compared to the other two arms on your AF3? Nice system.

If listening blind, you are likely to make comment similar to ddk. The Opus and MSL are interchangable.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel

Thanks PeterA,
the SME V12 on its way (underline mean its on order) as we speaks, so i'm still waiting to listen and compare it to the others,
the IKEDA 407 will be on the AF3 soon also (to be the fourth) till the T34 will arrive During May.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
If listening blind, you are likely to make comment similar to ddk. The Opus and MSL are interchangable.

that exactly what triggered my post about blind listening.
DDK (David) knows to tap his ears to what was coming from the EMT (i guess he will also made it by a blind comparison), but i couldn't and thought- what will i choose if i didn't knew...

Anyhow, thanks again for those great clips! just looking at your system and hearing from a pair of headphones i became green! :)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Tang,
at the end if you have to choose to keep only one between Opus and MSL
Which cart you will keep?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,
at the end if you have to choose to keep only one between Opus and MSL
Which cart you will keep?

I will keep both because they are freakin expensive :D although the MSL is much cheaper. Let’s be honest. Some equipments are just not so much better (the delta) than the other comparable one, not enough to justify the price difference. Do I like Opus1 more? Yes I do. But if I were to recommend other people who has lower budget and not crazy like me, I would say the MSL is only make sense. I am sure you understand this easily because you have the Coralstone diamond. You know how much more expensive it is comparing to the normal one. And you also know the delta in sound.

I will keep the Opus1. MSL only has more mid bass than Opus1, but I can find more midbass from other carts I have.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Birdwatcher

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, do you have any plans to try either the Opus or the MSL on you EMT?

Not really Peter. I am pretty happy with the AtlasSL on the first arm on EMT. And I have been delaying the installation of second arm which I want to put the Etna Mono on.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Peter,

The difference in sound from EMT setup vs. the other two setups come mostly from the tonearm, wire and tt not the cartridges. What David described as “homogenization” I beleive are the “Blings” or the “show off nature” of modern arms, carts that Kronos and AF1 synergize them further. I am not saying which one is more real. This depends on one’s perception of truth and preference.

And yes you can hear the difference a lot more in real in room listening. With EMT setup, You can hear solidity and density of sound image much more with less sharp transients and blings while still maintaining excellent realism. The tone is also very comfortable to the ears.

Kind regards,
Tang

This is a very nice statement about the sound of vintage equipment vinyl playback versus the sound of contemporary equipment vinyl playback. The sound you describe from the vintage vinyl playback equipment is the sound I like!

(Maybe this is why I felt lost trying to choose among TechDAS, Kronos, Clearaudio and Acoustic Signature.)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is a very nice statement about the sound of vintage equipment vinyl playback versus the sound of contemporary equipment vinyl playback. The sound you describe from the vintage vinyl playback equipment is the sound I like!

The sound I am enjoying very much right now comes from the vintage 927, the Ortofon 297 and the new but old school copper tonearm wire, while the cart is a super modern AtlasSL. I have a feeling that if I take out the vintage arm and its copper wire and replace with modern arm with silver wire, I will loose the kind of "natural" sound (I am putting ddk's hat on here :D) I am hearing from this tt. My hypothesis is this type of "natural" sound cannot come from the tt alone. Look at ddk's choice of arm. Why does he use only vintage arm like 3012R copper wire with his tts. He sometimes uses the TOL modern ZYX too, so modern cart is not much of the influence. Airbearing also uses mostly the vintage Ortofon, EMT banana and 3012R on his 927. I dont see anyone uses modern arm. So, what I am waiting to do is to put a modern custom Axiom with silver wire on as a second arm with a modern cart on my 927. Then I will hear how different it sounds from the vintage and see how much the tt itself influence the sound. Unfortunately, Dietrich delays his schedule again.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That will be a very interesting experiment!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Not really Peter. I am pretty happy with the AtlasSL on the first arm on EMT. And I have been delaying the installation of second arm which I want to put the Etna Mono on.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks, I understand. I'f one is happy, there is no reason to change or to even experiment with alternatives. I was just curious.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

(Maybe this is why I felt lost trying to choose among TechDAS, Kronos, Clearaudio and Acoustic Signature.)

Ron, are you saying that you prefer vintage table and arm, but contemporary cartridge, electronics and speakers? How did you reach this preference?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Ron, are you saying that you prefer vintage table and arm, but contemporary cartridge, electronics and speakers? How did you reach this preference?

You have to put things in context Peter, the EMT 927 isn't any old table it's THE ONE that everything else is measured by! If by vintage one means rolled off, dark and syrupy then it's the wrong adjective. In this case you have a highly resolving front end that's almost as natural and near colorless as they come, in a blind test you'd never guess the age of the the EMT/Ortofon/Lyra setup only recognize the beautifully natural sound, dynamic, energetic and full of life, that's what Ron and I'm pretty sure everyone else loves.

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

No. I am saying only that Tang’s description of the sound of the vintage equipment is the kind of sound I know I like (natural, musical, tonally dense, not analytical).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No. I am saying only that Tang’s description of the sound of the vintage equipment is the kind of sound I know I like (natural, musical, tonally dense, not analytical).

OK, I misunderstood your statement: "...the sound of vintage equipment vinyl playback versus the sound of contemporary equipment vinyl playback. The sound you describe from the vintage vinyl playback equipment is the sound I like!"

You mean specifically the sound of this EMT/Ortofon arm combination as described by Tang and not vintage vinyl gear in general. I agree with you, Tang's description is near perfect and what many of us strive for. I just don't know if this is about vintage versus contemporary. It seems to be more about that natural sound and how to achieve it. The EMT/Ortofon is one way. Surely there are other ways. I don't understand why you felt lost trying to choose between Kronos, TechDAS, Clearaudio etc. Do you not think those highly regarded contemporary turntables are capable of delivering this kind of a natural sound? Many audiophiles seem very happy with those turntables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing