OSX Lion

Dunno, but Libre Office and Open Office work just fine, and they're free. Who needs MS Office?

Maybe nobody, but I already own it, it's already installed and I know it works pretty seamlessly with Office for Windows, which is what I have at work.

Tim

I have been using Lion for about a month and have become quite familiar with it because of my numerous trips to the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store. First of all, you cannot get its full benefits unless you uses a track pad that does not have a separate button because all of the available gestures will not be available to you. I took an Apple Business Customer (just go to the store and ask to be signed up, even if you do not have a real business, because you get all sorts of unpublished benefits) class on Lion and learned that there are many more benefits built in than the preferences and website show, especially gesturing. The new Safari is much faster but can be a problem hogging the CPU up to 100% if you have too many add-ons attached. Simply delete all of your old add-ons and then go to Adobe and upgrade Flash and you should have no problems. The eyeglass icon in the upper left corner is really cool for rapid reminders of web pages that you want to go back to, reference in a paper or catalog, but not bookmark.

Be sure to download 10.7.1 because it has very important updates. I understand 10.7.2 should be coming next week with many more fixes. BTW, once you download Lion from the App Store, you can download it to any duo core or higher mac for no extra charge.

Normally I would suggest installing smb using fink, but I just looked, and there is no 10.7 port of smb in fink, so it looks like there might be a deeper issue with directory services or something.

Is it possible to use NFS instead of smb for Sonos? If it is, I can help you with that.

Thanks wg, Sonos came out with the compatability fix and the Sonos systems are working now. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing