OSX Lion

DS-21

Aug 23, 2010
Anyone else step up to Lion on opening day? So far on my old MacBook - 1.83GHz core 2, 2GB ram, 650GB HDD, 500+ GB in the iTunes library :) - I don't notice much speed or stability difference, though I didn't do a fresh install.

Scrolling is backwards until you uncheck the box atop the trackpad menu in system prefs.

The "hold a key and all of the variations of that letter come up" feature from iOS is useful. My MacBook doesn't have the latest-greatest touchpad, so it's limited as to multitouch gestures.

Mail's updates are great, as is Mission Control. Full-screen mode isn't that useful to me, but I can see how it would help others' workflows.

They changed the tab behavior in Safari to be like Firefox: command-click on a link and the new tab opened is the next tab in line, not the last tab.

I wish I could get that "linen" background on the install screen and Mission Control as frame for picture on my desktop instead of just solid colors.

The system-wide auto-resume is cool, too. Even works on Word.

A bit disappointed that Apple dropped "AirPort" for the generic "Wi-Fi" on the AirPort signal strength indicator.

Only negative so far for me is that I can't figure out how to get my login name off of the top bar. I only have account one on this machine, so I don't care to see the name. Well, that and the GF had to spend an addition ~$30 to upgrade her RAM to use it. (Requires 2GB.)

I'll be doing it. As I own an iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro and have been using a trackpad for my iMac for awhile, I'm looking forward to standardization of the gestures across platforms.

We won't do it for a few months. There are scores of music software vendors saying not to upgrade yet until they get the bugs worked out.

We won't do it for a few months. There are scores of music software vendors saying not to upgrade yet until they get the bugs worked out.

Yep, I wouldn't touch it yet with a computer with lowish volume pro apps.

Did the install last night.....took quite a while even with cable modem, etc.
So far, an excellent upgrade to my iMac...
BTW, FaceTime is now useable on the iMac, a very nice feature:cool:

I'll let you beta testers try it out for 6 months or so first.

I thought the new ugrade was meant to be their 1st attempt to lockout or remove the need to use of 3rd party audio software and solutions, will be interested to see if there is any truth behind that and if Apple is determined to try this with future releases.
Cheers
Orb

So how do you get all the devices sync'd up as far as iTunes purchases go? This is major for me since I usually buy on my laptop or iphone but now I have a MacPro as the house's main server. TIA!

I installed it, only prob was that bluetooth didnt immediately pair with my trackpad. A restart took care of this. I also had to upgrade my Squeezebox Server software. That worked and sounded fine, though I didn't try any 24/96 material.

Jack, just enter the same iTunes account on all devices and you should be able to get all your music on all. This should get easier when the cloud rolls around in Sept.

I'll admit to being an Apple fan (the stuff just works, and elegantly) but other than for 'pro' apps, I've had little problem doing system software upgrades. It's very 'un-beta'. That said, I certainly don't fault anyone for waiting for the inevitable 10.7.1.

ITunes can be restored to 32 bit operation if that helps a particular program. As one who has yet to hear the advantages of Pure, Amarra, etc, these aren't a concern for me. And I don't believe that Apple is making any attempt to lock out 3rd party audio software -- their possible revenue drain is beyond insignificant to Apple. By that argument, Apple would try to eliminate software in some other categories as well. Lack for software was a huge initial prob for them, and they know that better than anyone, hence App stores for iOS and OSX

Last edited:
One more pro with Lion: it seems to have improved how much time can be squeezed out of the almost 5 year-old battery on my MacBook.

Thanks Bob! I've downoaded on the laptop and will do the same for the desk tops tomorrow :)

Office 2011 is fully supported, though older versions aren't. It also so much snappier to use than older versions, though I do miss the old Formatting Palette. I think that was a better design than the extra toolbars on top of the screen, and better suited to modern widescreen monitors. Leave it to MS to improve the underlying functionality but hack up the user interface! :)

As for Quicken, they haven't released a version that doesn't require Rosetta?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing