OSX Lion

Quicken has been notoriously lame with its Mac programs. Current version is Quicken Essentials, which doesn't even include any portfolio management. I switched over to Moneydance awhile ago from Quicken '06 (the couple of later versions started charging for bill pay) , which is kind of fugly, but works. There is no killer Mac personal finance program AFAIK. I've heard only OK things about SEE finance and iBank. With the Mac market penetration doubling over the last couple of years, you'd think someone would grab the reins. But maybe most development is iOS now.

And btw if you haven't, I'd definitely get the Apple trackpad for Lion. They are starting to merge some gestures across OSX and iOS, so not only being really convenient, cool and quick to use in OSX, it's nice to have some commonality among devices if you're an iPhone or iPad user too.

And I don't believe that Apple is making any attempt to lock out 3rd party audio software -- their possible revenue drain is beyond insignificant to Apple.

Has someone actually supposed that Apple is trying to lock out Amarra and Pure Music? This would be like Mercedes trying to lock out an unbranded Korean bicycle manufacturer. They don't have an employee junior enough to spend a lunch hour on such trivia.

Tim

I thought the new ugrade was meant to be their 1st attempt to lockout or remove the need to use of 3rd party audio software and solutions, will be interested to see if there is any truth behind that and if Apple is determined to try this with future releases.

an earlier post I was responding to.

Has someone actually supposed that Apple is trying to lock out Amarra and Pure Music? This would be like Mercedes trying to lock out an unbranded Korean bicycle manufacturer. They don't have an employee junior enough to spend a lunch hour on such trivia.

Tim

Was me Tim, and considering the anti-business practice Apple has been doing more recently I would not be too surprised, this would be comparable to Microsoft making it difficult for other companies to implement easily browsers, which they did do for quite awhile until the courts went against them.
But if unsure look how well Apple protects its music services/mobile application services/their heavy handed license agreements for Airplay/etc.
Time will tell but I appreciate Apple may feel this is not core to their business anyway.

Cheers
Orb

But if unsure look how well Apple protects its music services/mobile application services/their heavy handed license agreements for Airplay/etc.

As for AirPlay, Apple created the tech and ecosystem to support it, they can and should charge whatever they want. They will find how the market values it, and what the benefit is to growing the ecosystem and maybe adjust the licensing over time.

I'm having an Internet connection issue with Lion as are others: though diagnostics suggests the connection is active and working properly, I have no access on the computer I put Lion on.

There's something flaky going on because my connection will 'magically' start working, then drop out again. Followed a bit of advice on the forums, but not sure what works to fix and what doesn't at this point.

Hi, we just tested the PureMusic 1.8c with Lion and Da Vinci DAC in exclusive mode. Works perfectly! no problem.
Waiting Rob to update about the integer mode.

Well, my copy of Office for Mac is 2008 and evidently that's not compatible, so I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon. I don't use it much, but it's handy for opening other people's docs.

Tim

As for AirPlay, Apple created the tech and ecosystem to support it, they can and should charge whatever they want. They will find how the market values it, and what the benefit is to growing the ecosystem and maybe adjust the licensing over time.

I'm having an Internet connection issue with Lion as are others: though diagnostics suggests the connection is active and working properly, I have no access on the computer I put Lion on.

Very true but for some reason people and companies including Apple were very unhappy with Microsoft and their practices.
Another example of how they are tightening their grip in a similar way to Microsoft in the past:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...cised-over-changes-to-Amazons-Kindle-app.html

Cheers
Orb

WARNING TO MAC/SONOS USERS!

Sonos 3.5 is NOT supported by OSX 10.7 Lion!

You will not be able to access your iTunes library. For now my entire house distribution system is down. Sonos dropped the ball and failed to send registered owners the requisite warning. They are saying, it might take three to four weeks but as of now there are still issues that they have not been able to work around.

Apple dropped the ball too by changing over to something proprietary in place of Samba.

If you use a Mac as your main server and use Sonos. DO NOT UPGRADE!

This is my good deed of the day. May you not suffer my frustration.

I didn't open that link! Aaaaaaaaaargh! Besides it was too late anyway. We were hit by two typhoons back to back. I was attributing the "server could not be found" message to the secondary wifi system being dodgy. I'm not a computer person, just a user, in hindsight, only the connection gets dodgy but the wifi network doesn't. It was a severe over sight on my part. Well, we live and learn.

My Lion probs. were solved by Apple tech support. Issue was compatibility with my Ooma VOIP box, all good now.

I'm running it on everything now except my 2010 mini that is my primary music server. I actually reverted to 10.6.8. Briefly, audio playback somehow became more fragile in 10.7.

My wife is threatening to make me regress her laptop to 10.6.8. She had quite a tantrum about the lack of "Save As..". What were they thinking?

In what program(s) does she not find 'Save as..'?

"Save As ..." is missing in Keynote, Pages, Numbers and presumably any of the other Apple programs that are now designed to save versions automatically along the way.

She and I, and most other people I know, very rarely start a document from scratch. Typically I will start with one, modify something, and use "Save As" to start what will be a completely separate document. I think the folks at Apple don't recognize this as a standard, valid work flow.

Now, instead of one simple menu item or set of key commands (shift-command-s), you have to save a copy of the document, and then try to quit it without saving, at which point it will prompt you with the dialogue box that allows you to change the name and the file location. So there is a workaround, but it is clunky and a step backwards.

I understand why they did it, but it is typical of the Microsoft-like "we know better than you" approach to interface design.

On third-part apps like Textmate, save as is still present, thankfully.

WARNING TO MAC/SONOS USERS!

Sonos 3.5 is NOT supported by OSX 10.7 Lion!

You will not be able to access your iTunes library. For now my entire house distribution system is down. Sonos dropped the ball and failed to send registered owners the requisite warning. They are saying, it might take three to four weeks but as of now there are still issues that they have not been able to work around.

Apple dropped the ball too by changing over to something proprietary in place of Samba.

If you use a Mac as your main server and use Sonos. DO NOT UPGRADE!

This is my good deed of the day. May you not suffer my frustration.

Normally I would suggest installing smb using fink, but I just looked, and there is no 10.7 port of smb in fink, so it looks like there might be a deeper issue with directory services or something.

Is it possible to use NFS instead of smb for Sonos? If it is, I can help you with that.

Having used OS X Lion since its release I must say that having gotten used to the finger movement commands for scrolling etc on the track pad has made it virtually impossible for me to use my PC laptop as it seems now to take too many steps and/or too long. To scroll through windows or to enlarge the screen or shrink it with only a few finger motions on the touch pad makes everything so quick and easy. This plus the fact that apple uses these same motions across all its platforms makes for easy learning

Did I read early in this thread that only the latest version of Office for Mac is supported?

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing