Outstanding Sound Improvement with Videos before-after/ VYDA Cables

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I respectively disagree. The video was used by the OP as a basis and comparative standard to judge the sonic differences between cables. IMHO, video sonic quality should not be used at all, as a defensible methodology, to substantiate anything.

No problem. It's okay if you disagree. :)

I don't think Vienna posted the videos to substantiate his take on the different cables. He first said 'here they are, what do you think?' If the videos are made under the same conditions and what we are comparing are the videos themselves, then it is up to each listener to assess them as he chooses.

I said video comparison is a data point, one of many that may form a judgement and I would not make a purchase decision based only on a video. We may not be in such disagreement after all.

edit: but I'll still make the point that every time a video appears in a thread about components we don't need to debate the value or legitimacy of having a video. The same people tend to retread the same arguments and that can get boring. Simply imagine every video comparison contains the proviso: "Videos can be useful. Videos can be useless. Take these as you will."

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Every thread should have are videos useful and is the sound of videos natural?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Excellent suggestion Ked. Could we also add other mandatory lateral topics such as any thread can always consider why the beating of dead horses in a virtual space is fundamentally safer than ever letting a small butterfly flap its wings in Beijing... unless of course we don’t actually want to avoid meeting with sublime chaos :eek:!!

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Ked, videos are unquestionably useful. Its very nice to see more videos of different systems and components.

Also it needs confidence for members to publish videos of their systems.

As you may recall videos from @Tango, @gian60 and your videos (to name few) had assisted me to locate and address some sound issues i used to have.

They also show each system’s progression

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Ked, videos are unquestionably useful. Its very nice to see more videos of different systems and components.

As you may recall videos from @Tango, @gian60 and your videos (to name few) had assisted me to locate and address some sound issues i used to have.

What you learn simply cant be true because the methodology is flaw or video is compressed or i will rather cover my ear than listening to when someone play music from compressed source. Sarcasm intended.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think it’s great Vienna has added video as well as his own impressions as another bit of data. It may/may not be useful to some and I’ve never seen that as an issue.

What I would love to understand is not so much whether there is a definitive answer to if it is useful but rather why some do find it useful and almost equally why some don’t. Perhaps more interestingly why there may not actually be a definitive answer and the difference might come out of varying types of perception process.

Obviously this isn’t the place to go there but it could just be a valuable area of exploration. There are members with great capacities IMO on both sides of the equation so that is what makes it potentially very interesting (for me) at any rate.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
What you learn simply cant be true because the methodology is flaw or video is compressed or i will rather cover my ear than listening to when someone play music from compressed source. Sarcasm intended.
My friend I appreciate sarcasm and humor, for me is an indication of intelligence.

Nobody can impose to me his beliefs or how I should evaluate things.
The fact is that I never hesitated to write the negatives of bad equipment I got or the positives of good components.

Also it is a fact that VYDA cables brought an unexpected sound improvement of such magnitude that I am regretting the time I lost without having them.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

:D

Video vs Non-Video is the new Digital vs Analog.

Let the eternal battle begin.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
:D

Video vs Non-Video is the new Digital vs Analog.

Let the eternal battle begin.
Al I think some will post videos... and some will ignore videos...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One of my objectives with the WBF video recording of audio systems project is to offer audiophiles a way to record their systems and to demonstrate for us the sonic differences of different components.

Using professional, flat frequency response, matched monaural microphones in a consistent recording technique an audiophile will be able to have me record his system using different components and make recordings changing only one component. I happily will record a track of a member system as is, and then record that same track with only a single component changed.

Of course it won't be perfect, but standardizing more elements of the recording process will only help us understand what we are listening to, and differences we think we are hearing.

While I will have the interviewer and the interviewee Sennheiser AVX wireless lapel microphones set on auto level, I will manually set the recording levels of the Earthworks microphones I use to record the audio systems.

For component comparisons I like that much better, Ron, than the smartphone alternatives.

Those audiophiles who want videos will be happy with the approach. Of course, there will also be audiophiles who will never want videos of their systems, given the limitations of such recordings. I am obviously one of them.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

And I have enough confidence in my own sound, combined with plenty of enthusiasm for it, to be eager for anyone who wishes to listen to my system to come and do so -- in person.

After the pandemic is over, of course ;).

• Haha
Reactions: Vienna

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Obviously this isn’t the place to go there but it could just be a valuable area of exploration. There are members with great capacities IMO on both sides of the equation so that is what makes it potentially very interesting (for me) at any rate.

Start a thread about the value or validity or propriety of posting videos and of their use. It will no doubt be interesting and entertaining. Do we need to nominate someone for that?

And there it is. Bada-Bing

I nominate you oh Wizard to start the discussion in a spot of your choosing.
Puh leeze - that way we can return the thread to the very patient Vienna and his new Vyda cables.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Sirs,

As this is one of the shill bastions of all time I personally fail to understand the argument.

One clip sounds better than the other and Vyda cables are fantastic I own three.

So much is lost when we fight truth for the sake of personal righteousness the over zealous protestations that skirt emolument have no place at my table.

The Ideal rules of engagement would allow light or shade to be cast on all purveyors of equipment so as to benefit vicariously from the information.

Until such time......shills ahoy.

Kindest regards,G.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Puh leeze - that way we can return the thread to the very patient Vienna and his new Vyda cables.
Unity in understanding and still essential diversity in perspective... were any of us quite so wizardly to pull this together... I figure solutions might be in the notion that awareness could be at one point or the other or shared in both the poles if viewed from the midpoint and that these are all points that correlate.

On one side the great sea of the various atoms of sound (the infinite parts) and on the other side the reflected ocean of the whole experience (the one thing) of music... and in the middle (where the waves meet) sits awareness either looking at one or the other or being simultaneously in both.

Just speculation though but cognitive experience does involve change and periodicity and is based upon recall, retention and expectation and responds to training and routine. No hubris, but just some speculation.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Sorry my post was sarcastic on what threads should discuss so we can debate endlessly. That's what the hobby is about

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ron already had threads dedicated to videos and their use. Other threads dedicated to other topics also became dedicated to this topic. Peter on Ron's thread was just trying to understand the pro video guys at that time, and eventually started posting his own. The rest kept repeating their same arguments and did not even quote the pro video brigade correctly, proving they were not attempting to even understand the other's viewpoint. I get that some like Mike understood the argument and took a decision against it, but that is fine. I appreciate Ron then tried to make some videos of the tannoy system. I don't expect all to agree. But to not understand what they are being used for is a bit ridiculous

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Sorry my post was sarcastic on what threads should discuss so we can debate endlessly

I actually caught that in your post ... for a change. ;)

That's what the hobby is about

... and the listening to music part.

Ron already had threads dedicated to videos and their use.

It doesn't matter which of those more focused threads is used. I just thought Vienna deserved some relief so he could enjoy telling us about his new wires.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But a general comparison between videos that last at least a few minutes each does not require exact synchronization to get a sense of differences between them - assuming of course that the recordings largely cover the same passage of music . We're not comparing video A at mark 1:08 with video B at mark 1:08. If you want (pedantically) equivalent conditions the odds of that approach zero simply because the world is different by the time video B is made.

Assuming gain is left the same for both videos, that is largely irrelevant to your first paragraph argument based on starting to record at the exact same moment for each video. I assume you don't believe Vienna was trying to be dishonest. I don't.
Tim,

It seems you are ignoring the technical artifacts of the automatic gain control feature that I have described and are fully described in the link I attached. No one is talking about dishonesty of members why do you want to raise this question.

The points I am referring are simply technical, I can't understand why people try to change them to behavior or emotional aspects. If you want to ignore technical aspects it is not possible to debate the issue. I am not addressing time or content, but gain that becomes a function of time start, not music time.

I will risk going on exaggeration to show my point : imagine that we are making a video using a lousy system that includes has an equalizer and a children either randomly or in ryhtm with the music, playing with the buttons, including gain, while recording. Would we rely on such system?

To summarize - videos made careless handling mobile phones to show differences between cables are misleading. Spectral analysis of the videos confirms it.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Long ago dealers that used the dubious technique of turning the level up of around one dB in comparisons to favor equipment with high margins were considered cheaters and dishonest as , it is known that such difference can seriously influence direct immediate A/B comparisons - but less in long time listening.

I assume you don't believe Vienna was trying to be dishonest. I don't.

No one is talking about dishonesty of members why do you want to raise this question.

The inclusion of the first quote (above) in your post brought up the subject of dishonesty in this thread. I struck me as odd. I wanted to believe you weren't relating that to anyone here.

Assuming gain is left the same for both videos ...

As noted. Do phone recorders automatically set gain based on the very first note or sound they record?

Reactions: Vienna

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The inclusion of the first quote (above) in your post brought up the subject of dishonesty in this thread. I struck me as odd. I wanted to believe you weren't relating that to anyone here.

As noted. Do phone recorders automatically set gain based on the very first note or sound they record?
I only used it to highlight the importance of proper equal level settings in video comparisons, something that is being systematically ignored.

Yes and no. AGC systems are integral systems - they set the volume based on previous history but are constantly checking level and changing gain if needed . The algorithm - implemented in the input analog electronics - can be complex. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_gain_control for a simplified version.

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing