Outstanding Sound Improvement with Videos before-after/ VYDA Cables

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear Sirs,

As this is one of the shill bastions of all time I personally fail to understand the argument.

One clip sounds better than the other and Vyda cables are fantastic I own three.

So much is lost when we fight truth for the sake of personal righteousness the over zealous protestations that skirt emolument have no place at my table.

The Ideal rules of engagement would allow light or shade to be cast on all purveyors of equipment so as to benefit vicariously from the information.

Until such time......shills ahoy.

Kindest regards,G.

Dear zerostargeneral,

Just to point you also fail to understand that the question is not "personal righteousness" it is general technical ethics. But surely sometimes people prefer ignorance.

I am a believer that in this hobby we should be objectively and subjectively honest, accepting the limits imposed by both approaches.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes and no. AGC systems are integral systems - they set the volume based on previous history but are constantly checking level and changing gain if needed .

So assuming the person recording does not alter the gain on the component (unlikely with cables) or the phone, the odds of automated gain change of significant value to account for the differences between the before-after video seems slim. Keeping Ockham in mind, the simplest explanation for the differences would be the component that changed led to the differences we heard, namely the cables. Qoud erat demonstrandum. :--)

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Dear zerostargeneral,

Just to point you also fail to understand that the question is not "personal righteousness" it is general technical ethics. But surely sometimes people prefer ignorance.

I am a believer that in this hobby we should be objectively and subjectively honest, accepting the limits imposed by both approaches.

I understand your point, but I'm not sure if you understand the difference between being intellectually sophisticated and being a pompous ass. The former understands context and has a high degree of empathy...the latter doesn't, despite having exactly the same amount of knowledge as the former.

Your points are not incorrect per se, but they belong to a dedicated "WBF's video police" thread. In the context of this particular thread, they are way off because it comes across as disrespectful to the OP.

No hard feelings on my part or anything similar, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
As For the Unctuous Consternations of my Knowledge it is true to say ignorance is bliss.

OFF

I must defer to the acrostic as I am not smart enough to comprehend my idiocy.

Kindest regards,G.

Reactions: tima and Vienna

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dearest Tima,

I am conflated by the name place rather than the double "C"?

Please identify the primer so that I may revel in the cipher?

Kindest regards,G.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As For the Unctuous Consternations of my Knowledge it is true to say ignorance is bliss.

OFF

I must defer to the acrostic as I am not smart enough to comprehend my idiocy.

Kindest regards,G.
This is a comedy skit, yes?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dearest Tima,

I am conflated by the name place rather than the double "C"?

Please identify the primer so that I may revel in the cipher?

Kindest regards,G.
More comedy? Sounding like a newly found previously unseen Monty Python sketch.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I understand your point, but I'm not sure if you understand the difference between being intellectually sophisticated and being a pompous ass. The former understands context and has a high degree of empathy...the latter doesn't, despite having exactly the same amount of knowledge as the former.

Your points are not incorrect per se, but they belong to a dedicated "WBF's video police" thread. In the context of this particular thread, they are way off because it comes across as disrespectful to the OP.

No hard feelings on my part or anything similar, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

This is an amazingly succinct post. Except in this particular case I would edit "having the same amount of knowledge as the former".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So assuming the person recording does not alter the gain on the component (unlikely with cables) or the phone, the odds of automated gain change of significant value to account for the differences between the before-after video seems slim. Keeping Ockham in mind, the simplest explanation for the differences would be the component that changed led to the differences we heard, namely the cables. Qoud erat demonstrandum. :--)

Plus the fact that this video is an additional data point to other videos which Vienna will put up which might validate or not findings from the first video, and that these cables are used by the general, Gian, and Rhapsody. So, even if there is a gain difference, so what? Even if there wasn't, had that been the only data point, it wouldn't have amounted to much. As data points grow, they amount to something even if the gain for that video was different

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Actually the right thing would be for microstrip is to show us how a same track can be so different on gain with a phone recording on normal iphone recording software at same position using same gear on same volume if he is the methodical guy as he claim to be.

if he fail to provide such evidence and resume back to quoting stuff and “force” us to take his ideaology and methodology then everybody can rest the case from now on.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
:D

Video vs Non-Video is the new Digital vs Analog.

Let the eternal battle begin.

That is a good one, Al, but I suspect it is much greater than that. Readers were told to ignore me in this thread by someone who simply disagrees with my opinion about the value of these types of videos. I find that to be incredible on an audio forum such as this one. Here is one side saying videos "SUCK" and the other side finding them useful in a limited way. That is a big divide. For some, it seems to be about cancelling those who disagree with them - shutting them down, silencing their opinion. And then the insult about not being able to process information? Incredible.

"Ignore him - he has no business derailing the thread. Processing information can be tough."

We are better than this at WBF. This is a forum for exchanging ideas and having an open exchange of different opinions. We are here to learn from each other. We can usually discuss Analog v. Digital in a respectful manner.

The irony is that my comments, as well as those from others, about the value of these videos, did not derail the thread at all. If fact, the discussion has become richer and quite interesting. Different opinions are a good thing. I am with Sound of Tao: why do our views differ so much about these videos?

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That is a good one, Al, but I suspect it is much greater than that. Readers were told to ignore me in this thread by someone who simply disagrees with my opinion about the value of these types of videos. This is one side saying videos "SUCK" and the other side finding them useful in a limited way. That is a big divide.

While you still have may not have noticed that, Peter, I am on both sides, see my post # 38 and footnote therein, as well as my post # 92.

Perhaps it becomes time that disagreements do not arise unnecessarily from ignoring what each contributor actually has to say.

It is even that pro-videoers misinterpret other pro-videoers. See Post # 77.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ockham says that if you have a process that produces measurable high level signal differences and a process that only introduces minimal, barely measurable differences , the first one should be responsible for the changes. Perhaps an Ockham that uses a Philishave , not a razor, will prefer the second ... :)

Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
:D

Video vs Non-Video is the new Digital vs Analog.

Let the eternal battle begin.

The best post in the thread, Al M. People should realize that digital is the guilty evil entity in this debate - once we digitize a signal with a mobile phone we are immediately making a measurement. The question is that the recording shows as a very poor measurement, that must be analyzed with high bias factors to have a meaning.

Digital versus analog will last forever because it is a preference for an illusion and we enjoy debating illusions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks for your views.

Well, understanding the context is what triggered my first post - I explained it clearly. I tried to explain why mobile phones videos are acceptable for some tasks and not for others and the technicalities of the method being suggested and its risks. Thanks for the compliment.

My points do not belong to any WBF police - but IMHO unfortunately your post approaches a much more dangerous "WBF censorship police". It looks obvious.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My points do not belong to any WBF police - but IMHO unfortunately your post approaches a much more dangerous "WBF censorship police". It looks obvious.

Indeed.

Cancel culture running amok.

Reactions: Lagonda

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for your views.

Well, understanding the context is what triggered my first post - I explained it clearly. I tried to explain why mobile phones videos are acceptable for some tasks and not for others and the technicalities of the method being suggested and its risks. Thanks for the compliment.

You're welcome, thanks for replying.

I don't think my post approaches or encourages censorship, because censorship implies the complete eliminations of your views. I said that they belong to a different thread, which is very different from censorship.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Here is one side saying videos "SUCK" and the other side finding them useful in a limited way. That is a big divide. (...)
Peter,

Although I fully support with your call for freedom of posting, I must say I find your sentence bizarre.

IMHO what is being discussed is mainly

"Here is one side saying videos "SUCK" and the other side finding them useful in a very defined way - direct comparison of cables. "

It is the main objective of the thread and that is a big divide. Others are small divide ... ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It is the main objective of the thread and that is a big divide. Others are small divide ...
I strongly believe video posters simply want to show off and are the typical insecure audiophiles who want constant affirmation. I bet they are fully aware how bad the sound is in their videos.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Vienna

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Vienna, please install those cables quickly, listen to them, report what you hear, and make those videos ASAP. This thread needs to get back on topic before the original content is cancelled.

Just don't do it too quickly as there will be criticisms of the cables not having "settled" long enough. The Atlas Lambda also needs an hour of play before any critical listening. BTW, how long do you let your iPhone 11 warm up before hitting the "record" button? I also hear remaining battery life can have an effect on quality too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing