Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Everyone talks about the Tak 300B's. I got a pair of EAT 300B's and they sound fantastic. Basically the same price point as the Tak's.

As I said via PM I have good reason to believe they do. I totally believe you.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
The spec sheet that I got back from Poland when my Big7 was upgraded to GG2 it said use 101d setting for px25 which is what I have been using.

Reactions: christoph

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys, I have now a Pacific unit with volume control on loan. So far, I tried just EML 45 Ann. with Tak recti. But I do not hear any difference at different Pacific volume settings. Currently using Coincident line stage, it has transformer based volume pots and plays equally well at all volume levels, i.e. there is no loss in sound quality even at the lowest volume level. Maybe this is the reason, why I do not hear any difference? Pacific sounds really well at 0 dB setting. Is it the setting at which the Pacific volume control is disabled? What volume settings do you use with different tubes?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Guys, I have now a Pacific unit with volume control on loan. So far, I tried just EML 45 Ann. with Tak recti. But I do not hear any difference at different Pacific volume settings. Currently using Coincident line stage, it has transformer based volume pots and plays equally well at all volume levels, i.e. there is no loss in sound quality even at the lowest volume level. Maybe this is the reason, why I do not hear any difference? Pacific sounds really well at 0 dB setting. Is it the setting at which the Pacific volume control is disabled? What volume settings do you use with different tubes?

Congrats on the Pacific :cool:
Maybe it is really your preamp's transformer based VC that you don't hear a difference...
In this case, I would just use the setting that suits your comfort best.
The 0 dB Setting circumvents the VC of the Pacific.

Reactions: abeidrov

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The 0 dB Setting circumvents the VC of the Pacific.
I didn't know that. I remember Lukasz posted here that he always has his VC at 0

-12 on the Pacific for me seems to be the sweet spot with my preamp

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
My Pacific is just a loaner:rolleyes:.
I‘ve just switched from EML 45 Anniversary on 0 dB setting to KR242 on -12. Or my God!!! With Mephisto on a high bias setting I do not want to touch anything. Finally understanding the beauty of the 242 tube.
I thought I need a new preamp, but maybe I just need a new DAC:)
Now, a very important question: will I get the same magnificent result with Pacific without VC option using it on a low gain setting with 242 tube? I do not really need the VC option. Why should I pay for it?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
My Pacific is just a loaner:rolleyes:.
I‘ve just switched from EML 45 Anniversary on 0 dB setting to KR242 on -12. Or my God!!! With Mephisto on a high bias setting I do not want to touch anything. Finally understanding the beauty of the 242 tube.
I thought I need a new preamp, but maybe I just need a new DAC:)
Now, a very important question: will I get the same magnificent result with Pacific without VC option using it on a low gain setting with 242 tube? I do not really need the VC option. Why should I pay for it?
I have no VC on my pac and see no need for it either.

Steve Williams

I use the volume control to tone the tube. I rarely move it from -12 nor do I see a need to roll tubes as IMO the standard KR242 is the way to go. I have an unused set of RK-KR PX25 which I’ve been saying for over 6 months I should try these but I have no desire as the KR/42 lights me up

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use the volume control to tone the tube. I rarely move it from -12 nor do I see a need to roll tubes as IMO the standard KR242 is the way to go. I have an unused set of RK-KR PX25 which I’ve been saying for over 6 months I should try these but I have no desire as the KR/42 lights me up

What happens when you change the VC setting. At some point does it distort?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have had the VC set between -8 to -16 without distortion. I’m sure at some point it might depending on my preamp volume

What happens when as you change it. Just trying to understand if it gets real bad at any point, or if it is a preference level thing

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Having at home IMHO ultimate toy for tube rolling i have to say that i fully admire your determination not to try other tubes except 242. Wondering what would happen if you accidentaly started the Pac journey with that PX25:)

Reactions: Steve Williams

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
What gain setting do you use on your Pacific and on which tube?
Sorry to jump in as i also don’t have VC in Pac - high gain on all tubes and using it for months with Tesla RD27AS

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Sorry to jump in as i also don’t have VC in Pac - high gain on all tubes and using it for months with Tesla RD27AS
Thank you, Golum. Maybe you can try the low gain setting with 242 tubes and let us know if you hear any difference?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It is surprising that my Pacific doesn’t have a gain switch or is it hidden somewhere?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It is surprising that my Pacific doesn’t have a gain switch or is it hidden somewhere?
I was told that on some Pacific units it is hidden inside.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I wish a gain switch is hidden somewhere inside my GG2. But it is not. Rather annoying for a 15K piece of kit:mad:.

Steve Williams

Having at home IMHO ultimate toy for tube rolling i have to say that i fully admire your determination not to try other tubes except 242. Wondering what would happen if you accidentaly started the Pac journey with that PX25:)

never say never. It’ll happen. I’ve said many times I’m not a tube roller. The only tube I have ever rolled is the 12AX7 in my amp where I switched to Telefunken NOS. ECC803S and in my Doshi tape preamp I rolled the 12AU7 for Telefunken NOS ECC801S. I will use the PX25 but right now I’m loving everything I hear with the standard KR242

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing