Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Let me say this. I had a unit with no volume on low it for me hurt dynamics on high it was as it should be. If I were you use the volume in the player to adjust for balance
It does not have any negative affects until it’s lowered let’s 20 % but this is player sensitive. May I ask what player you are using ? Also Roon vol control is not a good one where I river or hq player are good ones
Al, still running Roon, so I don’t attenuate digitally. I’ve wondered about the affect of the switch, but hadn’t experimented yet. I appreciate your comments. Was actually hoping someone would go there.
So, flip the switch to high output, drop in some 242’s, and then what, try a passive with a buffer stage instead of an active preamp? Or get HQ player?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Yes, Please get adapters, this is just too interesting not to do and compare the various options you have :cool:

And see if you can get the RK 5u4g rectifieres as they really sound quite a bit better than the regular KR 5u4g.

Yes, you should give the 242 a try. If the 242 works in your system, then it is magical :eek:

I think my Pacific has that internal gain switch but I haven't found the neccessity to try so far.
Next time I have it open I will have a look...
Well, ok. First Steve needs to try his RK PX25 to prove that he prefers the KR242. Then he can sell his used RK’s to me, at a discount because they will then be used.;)
There are some used RK 5u4g’s available to go with the one I have. But then I’ll have six KR PX25 and two KR 5u4g that are homeless. Then I’ll need a pair of RK 242.
This is good business for KR. o_O

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well, ok. First Steve needs to try his RK PX25 to prove that he prefers the KR242. Then he can sell his used RK’s to me, at a discount because they will then be used.;)
There are some used RK 5u4g’s available to go with the one I have. But then I’ll have six KR PX25 and two KR 5u4g that are homeless. Then I’ll need a pair of RK 242.
This is good business for KR. o_O

I'm getting close

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What's the difference between RK and KR variants of these tubes?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
About 200 euros.:)

Reactions: iain

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
What's the difference between RK and KR variants of these tubes?
Other than price, higher vacuum, zirconium coating, thicker glass, different shape.

I see you have an Allnic L5000 DHT. I’m currently auditioning an L9000 OTL/OCL. Pretty amazing piece.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
For me the KR242 is a must have "in my system"

The realism it creates never ceases to amaze me

PS..Don't forget to use Herbie's tube damping rings though View attachment 66051

Only necessary because of the microphony all KR tubes exhibit.

Replace with Tesla AD1 and microphony will be so low these won't make any difference.

I am not trying to be a know it all I am trying to make people realise the truth. Because it is true.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The rings I would bet cost much less than the tubes do and it allows me to use a tube which, in my system, has made a huge difference in the SQ. of my system Plus I’ve said countless times I’m not a tube roller nor am I a cartridge collector. The two carts I have now give me everything I want. So also does the KR242

Reactions: wisnon

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Other than price, higher vacuum, zirconium coating, thicker glass, different shape.

I see you have an Allnic L5000 DHT. I’m currently auditioning an L9000 OTL/OCL. Pretty amazing piece.
Allnic has really spun off many pieces of product. The L9000 looks like an intriguing design. I am completely happy with the L5000. It works with 3A/110A in both slots, which decreases the current and increases the output impedance, but increases the gain by about 6db. It also sounds better that way for some reason. Usually, with DHT, when you increase gain, you lose a bit of sound quality. The 3A/107a works well in the first stage, as well as some Western Electric variants, and the dutch postal tube the PT8, so there is some tube rolling options.

Just can't beat that DHT midrange.

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Holy smokes. Just got my mov px25 up and running. Replaced out the rk px25. No critical listening, but immediate pop in the mids and bit more detailed. My 2 channel setup is for shyt right now so hard to judge soundstage but feels like might have moved me up a couple more rows.

oh forgot to add, thanking the good lord the tubes arent microphonic.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Allnic has really spun off many pieces of product. The L9000 looks like an intriguing design. I am completely happy with the L5000. It works with 3A/110A in both slots, which decreases the current and increases the output impedance, but increases the gain by about 6db. It also sounds better that way for some reason. Usually, with DHT, when you increase gain, you lose a bit of sound quality. The 3A/107a works well in the first stage, as well as some Western Electric variants, and the dutch postal tube the PT8, so there is some tube rolling options.

Just can't beat that DHT midrange.
I haven’t heard the L5000 so I can’t compare. But this 9000 is more dynamic and lively than anything else I’ve heard. it also teases out details and separates tones that were previously blended together. I’m rather glued to it. This variant uses the 6080 twin triode but the L10000 uses 300b.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I am very happy with EML 45 MG Ked recommended to me, together with KR 5u4g RK they have tone, timbre and a bit less gain than my former PX25 - which is good.
I’m tempted by the new 242 RK series as some of you suggest they are less dynamic than the regular KR242 and sound warmer.
I tried KR 242 in my Big 7 and it was clearly too much gain in my system -they sounded shouty but in the same time were very transparent and resolved.
Do you think that with Pacific I should give the RK 242 another try?

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes definetely you should try it out but afaik RK242 are unobtainable at the moment...
But in general all tubes we discuss here (KR PX25(RK), 242(RK), 45GM, ad1, RD27) are plain phenomenal ;)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I haven’t heard the L5000 so I can’t compare. But this 9000 is more dynamic and lively than anything else I’ve heard. it also teases out details and separates tones that were previously blended together. I’m rather glued to it. This variant uses the 6080 twin triode but the L10000 uses 300b.
I have had a Manley Neo 300b preamp/headphone amp also for some years, that I use as a gain stage for various purposes regularly. However, unlike KS Parks L10000, it is 6sl7 input, is not balanced, and has cap coupling but also includes an optional output transformer coupling.

In my usual odd meanderings, I looked at the circuit diagram, and it also accommodates 182b, 183, 6b4g (like 6V 2A3 with adaptor) and 6b5g(adaptor)as well as 300b, all of them, of course, sounding different. 182b and 183 are 45 tubes with 5V cathodes. I have a pair of ancient 182b globes that I can pop in when I want that real antiquarian 45 effect.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes definetely you should try it out but afaik RK242 are unobtainable at the moment...

Do you know why? :eek:
And if this can change some time in the near future?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am very happy with EML 45 MG Ked recommended to me, together with KR 5u4g RK they have tone, timbre and a bit less gain than my former PX25 - which is good.
I’m tempted by the new 242 RK series as some of you suggest they are less dynamic than the regular KR242 and sound warmer.
I tried KR 242 in my Big 7 and it was clearly too much gain in my system -they sounded shouty but in the same time were very transparent and resolved.

I had got the 242 over to yours. It didn't work in your set up. If you want to try it again, either if you change your integrated, or you can get Lukasz to add the 242 resistor to your Pac.

The RK 242 you can try but it will be different.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing