Pass Labs .8 Series!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Three days ago, I received a pair of X-260.8's for trial demo, possibly replacing my Ayre MXR's. They are each plugged directly into a dedicated circuit, each with a Shunyata Typhon. I am very impressed, and while they only now have 48 hours run time, I doubt they are going back. A definite step up, with more authority, more solid bass, wider, deeper soundstage, and more air around instruments.

Congrats! While I haven't heard the X series at all (neither .5 or .8), the XA.8's have fantastic bass control and soundstage.

You have a very nice system, btw!

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
my Xa 100.8 has arrived.
I expected bass to be better than my Xa 30.5.Pass labs dealer burned them in for me. Maybe i should wait another 100 hours for the bass to improve.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
my Xa 100.8 has arrived.
I expected bass to be better than my Xa 30.5.Pass labs dealer burned them in for me. Maybe i should wait another 100 hours for the bass to improve.

What are you hearing? Can you describe it?

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Xa100.8

What are you hearing? Can you describe it?

Bass sounded fatter in the lowest frequencies with Xa 30.5 compard to Xa 100.8.
Overall bass is tighter , more 3 dimensional and has more nuance and texture with the Xa 100.8.
I'm kind of missing the lowest frequency of the Xa 30.5 which filled the room.
Possibly the bass has become more controlled and I'm not hearing any muddiness and I will appreciate this with time and different tracks or the Xa100.8 needs more burn in .

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
X250.8 versus x350.5

With all the heavy-hitters here posting about their XA and Xs amplifiers I feel a little like the country cousin piping up with a post about my new X250.8. Wait, I am a country cousin -- you can't get much more country than rural Montana.

Although I can't believe almost three years have gone by since getting my X350.5 it really has been that long. It's done a wonderful job driving my KEF 207/2s and I haven't ever been dissatisfied with it. However, reading all the chatter hear about the .8 got me wondering. . .

I saw Mark's generous trade-in/trade-up policy at Reno Hi-Fi and took him up on a generous in-home trial to compare an X250.8 to my X350.5. Why the smaller amp? In the the three years of owning the big X350.5 I've never once seen the bias needle so much as twitch -- even when playing music at crazy stupid loud levels. The 1812 Overture didn't make that needle move, AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck' didn't phase it, Noisia's 'Spit The Atom' didn't do advance it either. The big KEFs are pretty efficient at 91dB/w/m and even in a decent-sized 25' X 17.5 'X 8' room I don't think I ever came close to class A/B operation. So why not save a few thousand if I could? The worst that could happen is that I'd have been calling Mark to send out an X350.8 if the smaller amp didn't do the trick.

Well, no worries there. The X250.8 stayed here and the X350.5 is in Reno waiting for a new home, where I'm sure it will make its next owner as happy as I've been.

My impressions initially and now after a couple hundred hours?

Pretty much the same as Alfa100's with his XA100.8s vs the .5 -- at first I thought the X250.8 was every bit the equal and then some of the X350.5 except in the bass. More articulate for sure, but maybe leaner. There just didn't seem to be the quantity of low bass that I'd been used to with the .5. I was pretty sure it wasn't a power thing, and wondered if the voicing was different between the two. Thus, the danger of first opinions when a new piece of equipment is warming up and breaking in.

After not that much more listening I came to realize what I'd been perceiving as more or stronger bass with the X350.5 was actually a bit of muddiness or bloat relative to the new .8. Careful listening has shown me that if anything, there is what sounds like another half-octave at least of lower bass present in that rumbly-visceral-feel it in the gut as much as hear it sort of way that real low bass in real life has. And yet very articulate and tuneful.

Throughout the rest of the range the .8 is impeccable -- much more dimensional and deep than the .5, more texture and timbre, a sense of space and quietness between notes that seems to go on forever.

I guess if I were to use the first word that comes to mind to sum up my impressions of the .5 and the .8, at least in the X-series, I'd say impressive, or maybe Impressive! for the .5, musical for the .8.

Musical ain't a bad thing.

I'm very happy with my X250.8. And I *still* can't get that needle to move! Maybe Nelson Pass puts the meter on these amps just to give us something to look at.

Now, here is something you don't see every day -- well, at least not in *my* family room -- a Pass X350.5 as an amp-stand for an X250.8:

X280.5.JPG

Steve

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Guess it's time to edit that signature.

Now *that's* better!

Steve

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Bass sounded fatter in the lowest frequencies with Xa 30.5 compard to Xa 100.8.
Overall bass is tighter , more 3 dimensional and has more nuance and texture with the Xa 100.8.
I'm kind of missing the lowest frequency of the Xa 30.5 which filled the room.
Possibly the bass has become more controlled and I'm not hearing any muddiness and I will appreciate this with time and different tracks or the Xa100.8 needs more burn in .

Sometimes when an amp can't drive a speaker properly we hear more bass than we should (because we're hearing overhang due to the lack of control) so I think your analysis is correct.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Congrats!

Thank you. The Pass gear represents some of the best money ever spent in terms of musical enjoyment. I am loving it!

Steve

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Thanks.
And how do you describe the texture and warmth with the .8 vs .5 especially in the mids?
Are you enjoy them in the new .8 ?
Warmth is as good as the little Xa30.5. With The 100.8 mids are more revealing and multi layered. in my room i do not need any more warmth as this could introduce mid bass hump. i am enjoying the mids more compared to the Xa 30.5

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Thank you all. I have found the problem.
The Sasha had to be repositioned and the tweeter/midrange module needed a change of angle. The bass is strong and low and midrange /tops in correct proportion.
The Xa 100.8 was the correct upgrade.
warmth, impact,texture,holographic,organic,etc etc etc.
Good as it was the Xa 30.5 was not strong enough for the Sasha. The Xa 100.8 corrects this and brings more.

i can now enjoy the music.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Sasha had to be repositioned and the tweeter/midrange module needed a change of angle. The bass is strong and low and midrange /tops in correct proportion.
Good as it was the Xa 30.5 was not strong enough for the Sasha. The Xa 100.8 corrects this and brings more.

Great news, happy listening!

Reactions: alfa100

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Pass Labs X-260.8 mono's have now replaced the Ayre MXR's driving my Sound Lab Ultimate U-1PX's. Deeper, better base, more control.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I have heard my friend MadFloyd's Sophias, Sashas and Alexias all driven by various tube and SS amps. It was not until he got the Pass XA 160.5s that these Wilson speakers were properly driven by amps that could handle their difficult loads. He has since moved to Magico speakers but stayed with Pass and upgraded to the XA 160.8s and now the XS150s.

Pass amps are truly remarkable for their ability to handle difficult loads and to sound natural in the process.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Great news Alfa! I'm glad I was able to help. Enjoy your new amps!

Ken

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Yesterday I changed the cables between the Pre XP 20 and my XA 60.8 and cud not believe that the sound became softer to my ears. Cables: DIY pure Silver
This move on my pervious system Aleph-P and Aleph X was kind different experience. Sounds became harder and flatter.

I'm now curious what if I had XA 100.8. Would be this my audio-nirvana.
I don't think so .....yet. I like more intimate and warm sound. Kind of sound that doesn't allow me to go to the next room or fall in sleep during play.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing