Phono Preamp recs while Lamm is out for repair...

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
My LP2.1 is off to Lamm next week and I need a temporary phono preamp to use with my collection of Ortofon SL-15s and SPUs/Jorgen Schou SUT.

I'll spend up to $5k. Looking for suggestions! Thanks in advance!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My LP2.1 is off to Lamm next week and I need a temporary phono preamp to use with my collection of Ortofon SL-15s and SPUs/Jorgen Schou SUT.

Maybe the iPhono 3 BL? It is more than enough for a temporary phono, and you can leave it as a backup/second system :)
Also, it's well under budget!

Reactions: uber2

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you want used, find a good Klyne 7 series. Example (no affiliation) :

Of course there are some interesting new options too ;) but they may challenge the Lamm haha

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

Is your LP2.1 being sent for repair? I am curious because it looks like a rather simple circuit which I would expect should be quite reliable.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017

Are you lining this up via a dealer? If so I would think they might have something you can borrow until your unit is returned.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Or similar example :

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

How long will it take to repair?

cdk84

Dec 19, 2015
Hello Fishfood,

Sad to learn that your LP1 Signature is in need of doctoring. Has it been repaired and returned to you?

If not, I can heartily recommend the Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe. I have extensive experience with both phono pre's and the single case unit provides startlingly good sound, at least when paired with other Lamm electronics.

My hope is to upgrade to the Signature phono pre, but in the meantime I have Really Satisfying playback from my Micro Seiki table which uses an SME 3012R arm, Air Tight Supreme cartridge and stock SME phono cable.

What is the front end of your system?

You could do Far Worse than the LP 2.1 but make sure it's the Deluxe model. The extra damping and mass make a very substantial difference in performance.

You are welcome to contact me at Babadawv at g mail if you would like to speak about this. I'm only infrequently on WBF, despite the amount of learning and camaraderie to be found here.

Kind Regards, and I hope your LP1 is soon back in your hands ( and ears )

David

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Esoteric E-03 as an interim is excellent and an E-02 better still and their current model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing