Pimped out Premier or Lampi Pacific?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
let's not go down this road. mud slinging one forum to another can only come to grief. like crapping where you eat.

if you ask me (i acknowledge no one is;)) we should delete the related posts. this thread is contentious enough without adding that.

and then there is the stones and glass houses perspective and all that.

YMMV and have a nice day.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
let's not go down this road. mud slinging one forum to another can only come to grief. like crapping where you eat.

if you ask me (i acknowledge no one is;)) we should delete the related posts.

YMMV and have a nice day.
Mike, I disagree with your request 100%. This isn't mud-slinging. I have not said a word about my experience on AS for 2 years. This is the first time I mentioned it and was to give a warning to Norman who said basically the same thing that I had said in a private PM.

Then having three aliases on this forum. WHY would you want to protect this type of activity? I think it is beneficial to warn people when situations like this exist. YMMV.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I disagree with your request 100%. This isn't mud-slinging. I have not said a word about my experience on AS for 2 years. This is the first time I mentioned it and was to give a warning to Norman who said basically the same thing that I had said in a private PM.

Then having three aliases on this forum. WHY would you want to protect this type of activity? I think it is beneficial to warn people when situations like this exist. YMMV.

Bob, this is not about right and wrong. it's about common sense and how things work. maybe you are always a straight shooter (and i know you are) but this is a forum to forum question. and i hate that stuff. again.....no one is asking me. but i come here for enjoyment. period.

i won't take it personal if i'm ignored.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Facts are facts Mike

“all that glitters is not gold”

let’s move on as there is nothing more to be gained dwelling on this issue

Agreed, facts were stated, nothing more needs to be said regarding the subject. Keep on rollin' with the enjoyment!!!

Reactions: Steve Williams

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Almost Everything needs repairs. The best thing you can have in hifi is great service and upgradability. I have heard of many famed brands like techdas, kronos, constellation, dagostino, Krell, aesthetix, Allnic, audio research, NAT, CJ, jadis, vdh, etc needing service. It all comes down to how easy and low cost it is to get it fixed.
I'll add that on my one Lampi repair (an amp, not one of my dacs) the turn around from the factory in Poland was amazingly quick and painless.

My Luxman amp, for reference, has been in the shop for 5 weeks and counting, and it only had to go down the road to Memphis.

Not knocking Luxman, but my experience with Lampi support has been exemplary.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
There’s a MSB Select II listed on audiogon today for the bargain price of $66k.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Boxers, back to your corners! :)

1) Different audiophiles have different sonic preferences, as this is a subjective hobby.

2) Different audiophiles apply different decision processes when selecting components. The selection decision process is itself a subjective process.

Nothing useful is to be achieved from criticizing a particular selection decision process, even if it does not make sense to you. Selecting components based on color or shape of the box or on brand name may not make sense to you (and it does not make sense to me) but it does not make someone stupid or lazy -- just possessing a different mentality and purchase objective preference ordering.

3) Even among audiophiles whose selection decision process is based on auditioning or comparative listening, a particular audiophile's process may not meet your particular standard or your personal process, but so what? This, too, is a subjective process.

Reactions: CKKeung and KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Boxers, back to your corners!

1) Different audiophiles have different sonic preferences, as this is a subjective hobby.

2) Different audiophiles apply different decision processes when selecting components. The selection decision process is itself a subjective process.

Nothing useful is to be achieved from criticizing a particular selection decision process, even if it does not make sense to you. Selecting components based on color and shape of the box or based solely on brand name may not make sense to you (and it does not make sense to me) but it does not make someone stupid or lazy -- just a different mentality and purchase objective preference ordering.

3) Even among audiophiles whose selection decision process is based on auditioning or comparative listening, a particular audiophile's process may not meet your standard or your personal process, but so what? This, too, is a subjective process.

sure, it’s just that those who have different selection processes should be honest to themselves and to the forum about the selection criteria, rather than saying they chose A because it was sonically better than.B, when they might not have done any sonic comparison nor even thought about it, and A would have been selected on totally different reasons. Dealers should also not lie about the quality issues of competition

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
sure, it’s just that those who have different selection processes should be honest to themselves and to the forum about the selection criteria, rather than saying they chose A because it was sonically better than.B, when they might not have done any sonic comparison nor even thought about it, and A would have been selected on totally different reasons. Dealers should also not lie about the quality issues of competition

Yes, obviously, someone who chose components based on the color of the box or on brand name without ever hearing the components should not be claiming he/she chose the components based on his/her perception of the sound quality of the components.

Reactions: wisnon

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Interesting, so the other person saying Lampi causes 100 percent issues is a MSB dealer as well. But hey I get told off for using the word donkeys, when I try to warn the sheep (quoting micro) from the wolves (quoting micro)

He loved the product, but couldn't deal with the reliability woes. Publicly stated that. And he carried Lampi well before MSB.

There are a lot of back stories on this thread that if public would surprise many people. I'll just say that.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
If I might suggest adding another DAC to your list, you might want to consider the newest versions of the Merging Technologies NADAC+POWER+Clock. They are nothing short of brilliant and have a complete path from reasonable dollars to WBF type dollars without having to trade-in or sell your existing MT product. No one else mentioned offers that. I have heard everything talked about in great depth and understand why many like their choices, but I greatly prefer the sound of the Merging.

I suggest you give it a listen!

Mine has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years now. The sound is spacious and gorgeous. The Golden Atlantic before that also worked flawlessly. And, Lampi has a 5 year warranty which is better than most in the industry isn't it?

From my experience, it's not particularly unusual for audio gear to need servicing. My Luxman amp, in contrast to my Lampis, has had to go the shop twice in 2 years. My Mastersound amp also had issues.

I have my Pacific up for sale, not out of any dissatisfaction. In fact, sometimes I break into a cold sweat thinking about parting with it! I don't have any reason to sell other than audio-restlessness and eventually wanting to try a Bakoon amp/dac combo.

PM me if anyone is interested in talking about a sale.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have heard various MSB DACs in enough systems to have formed the general conclusion that, as far as digital goes, and unlike every other digital component I have heard randomly over the years (which does not include any Lampizator), I can listen to digital on them and not want to leave. (For the avoidance of doubt, unless the track was recorded digitally originally, I still prefer analog.)

Someday, if the house is ever finished, and the listening room is ever finished, and I ever hatch the stereo system in the listening room, and it all works and does not explode, then someday in the future I probably will try to have in the system at the same time for a direct comparison an MSB DAC and a similarly priced Lampizator. WBF members will be welcome to join me and we can have a true and valid (in my idiosyncratic system anyway) direct comparison.

But please understand that I have no desire whatsoever to achieve digital playback at the level of what I hope my vinyl playback and what I hope my tape playback will achieve. I simply want a mid-level streaming capability because I think it is nice to be able to hand to my audiophile guests and to Tinka and to Tinka's friends an iPad so they can play whatever they want on Qobuz.

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
He loved the product, but couldn't deal with the reliability woes. Publicly stated that. And he carried Lampi well before MSB.

There are a lot of back stories on this thread that if public would surprise many people. I'll just say that.
i introduced Mike to Lampi, so I know most everything about the case from all sides and angles.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That's if you can tear yourself away from listening to the AS2000, right? Leave some space for a digital stack on those Nothing Racks.

I could barely afford only two Nothing Racks. The digital will have to be content sitting on a nearby folding snack table. ;)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing