Pimped out Premier or Lampi Pacific?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I'm planning to sell my beloved Pacific (if I get the price I need for it). Otherwise, I'll be very happy to keep it. I'm kind of tired of dealing with tube issues and I'm very interested in the dac Bakoon will eventually come out with that may optimize with my Bakoon 13r amp and its Satri current circuit. This would also likely save me a lot of money.

Another path-- which would not be saving money -- is the msb Premier with pro usb, power base and clock upgrade.

So, I'm interested if anyone has compared the Pac and Premier directly in their systems?

And specifically, the volume controls of the two dacs. The msb info on their vc is particularly sparse. The Bakoon is integrated, but with the Pacific I like using the VC in combination with the Bakoon's gain.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Maybe my statement is mis-leading. I thought I had a Rectifier issue, but it appears to have "rectified" itself. So no current Pacific/tube issue.

It's more that, in the 5 short years I've been pursuing audio, I have had more than my share of expensive tube failures: Elrog 845's the most notable. Also, several other output tube failures (from 300b to Gm70's).

I realize now, for all the mystique and charm of tubes, I'm not a tube guy. I don't like having to be aware of dwindling tube life or wondering if a tube should be tested. And tube rolling is definitely not something I want to play with. Though, I understand the attraction to that.

I replaced my Luxman mq300 -- and excellent amp which I bought because the conventional wisdom I had always been told is to use tubes with Avantgarde Horns). I replaced it with a solid state Bakoon 13r. So far, I'd say it's the best audio decision I've made to date.

Reactions: sbo6

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't do it (tube rolling or testing). Just buy KR and plug them in, don't change after trying the first 2 or 3 pairs to see which fit. Don't read all those tube rolling discussions

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
output tubes in the pac run at 5% of rated capacity. its not like power amps. they will last 10 years or more. errors unfortunately have had reliability issues. I stay away from them.

only my dad is tube...I am ss otherwise. love the blend. so I am not a "tube guy" either.

I fear you will make a big mistake that will cost you to fix. U have great tubes...sit back and enjoy...avoid costly nervosa.

Reactions: LampiNA

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think anyone and I mean anyone has choices to make on what we use. I’m not a tube guy period. But in the many dacs I have owned or had here
A Lampi just has the needs to let me voice my setup as no other dac I know can. Reg tube life Elrogs for one has cost me plenty on 3 sets of tubes I’ll never buy them ever.
After this I can’t think of any but I’ll bet many have tube stories.
Lastly if I may recommend a method to help you pic your next dac.
Go to hear them in as many setups as you can. If you can find someone who has your speakers or even just type.
Meaning ribbons
Horns
Planners and the like. This is paramount to getting an idea of how it sounds. Play your own music too.
All SS dacs dont sound the same and a Lampi is a sound of many dacs as you roll tubes.
once you get a idea then get a I’m home trial.
Lastly don’t let others push you to what’s good it’s your brain that must be made happy.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm planning to sell my beloved Pacific (if I get the price I need for it). Otherwise, I'll be very happy to keep it. I'm kind of tired of dealing with tube issues and I'm very interested in the dac Bakoon will eventually come out with that may optimize with my Bakoon 13r amp and its Satri current circuit. This would also likely save me a lot of money.

Another path-- which would not be saving money -- is the msb Premier with pro usb, power base and clock upgrade.

So, I'm interested if anyone has compared the Pac and Premier directly in their systems?

And specifically, the volume controls of the two dacs. The msb info on their vc is particularly sparse. The Bakoon is integrated, but with the Pacific I like using the VC in combination with the Bakoon's gain.
Hello Wil,
Have you gone to audition the MSB Premier?
A must-do before making such an important decision.

IMHO you should consider at least the MSB Reference DAC if you want to replace your Pacific DAC.

BTW the volume control mechanism of Select & Reference DACs is diff from that in Premier & Discrete DACs.
Obviously the former is much better sonically.
Please ask your local MSB dealers for the details.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Hello Wil,

IMHO you should consider at least the MSB Reference DAC if you want to replace your Pacific DAC.

CK, In your opinion, Only the Reference and up to replace the Pac-- even if I'm talking about the Premier with the Powerbase, pro usb and clock upgrade? Thanks

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK, In your opinion, Only the Reference and up to replace the Pac-- even if I'm talking about the Premier with the Powerbase, pro usb and clock upgrade? Thanks
Yes, that's my humble opinion.
Pacific DAC is no slouch definitely!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i agree with C.K., with the consideration of my limited exposure to the Pacific......it's very good. if you like tubes and messing with them.

i went from the GG1.5 -> Aqua Formula -> MSB Select II......and i am a happy camper. my system development vision was better served by moving away from the tubes, it was not that i did not enjoy the performance of the GG1.5.

the GG1.5 is not the Pacific (and to be completely fair i've not 'lived with' a Pacific), but IMHO, an MSB Reference, would be a step up and you would not look back. and the modularity and consistent interface upgrades will keep you relevant (but it's fair to give Lampi high marks for their handling of upgrades too, maybe not in as elegant a way).

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
i agree with C.K., with the consideration of my limited exposure to the Pacific......it's very good. if you like tubes and messing with them.

i went from the GG1.5 -> Aqua Formula -> MSB Select II......and i am a happy camper. my system development vision was better served by moving away from the tubes, it was not that i did not enjoy the performance of the GG1.5.

the GG1.5 is not the Pacific (and to be completely fair i've not 'lived with' a Pacific), but IMHO, an MSB Reference, would be a step up and you would not look back. and the modularity and consistent interface upgrades will keep you relevant (but it's fair to give Lampi high marks for their handling of upgrades too, maybe not in as elegant a way).

i Would beg to differ Mike but IMO the MSB Reference doesnt even come close to the Pacific

imo the comparison should be between the a Pacific and the Select and it all boils down to ones desire to use tubes. In my system (which is all tubes)there was simply no comparison As for the inconvenience of tubes, those in the Lampi Pacific will outlive both of us

I went through that very comparison Select vs Pacific in my system but to say the MSB Reference betters the Pacific just isn’t the case

Steve Williams

consistent interface upgrades will keep you relevant (but it's fair to give Lampi high marks for their handling of upgrades too, maybe not in as elegant a way).

not sure I agree here as well as MSB provides ongoing modular updates to their DAC's which IMO is wonderful. Lampizator IMO however goes a step further and has an upgrade program which involves buying back your DAC and replacing it with a newer DAC. Just different ways to skin a cat

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The GG1 I had was far superior to the MSB select 2. Just more drive, air, tone, energy, scale. However I can see why Mike's system the MSB would suit more

Steve Williams

The GG1 I had was far superior to the MSB select 2. Just more drive, air, tone, energy, scale. However I can see why Mike's system the MSB would suit more
And IMO Pacific is one giant leap ahead of the GG 1.5

TBH we are comparing two radically different DACS both of which IMO are superb in their own right. My only issue is that I feel a fair comparison should be between the Pacific and the Select ll and then to me it boils down to tubes or no tubes. As you know it was my intent to buy the Select ll because it is such a wonderful DAC But then I heard the Pacific in my system and all bets were off as it then became a matter of preference as there is.no right or wrong answer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In your system I don't see the MSB sounding better than the GG or Pac even with a valve not as good as the 242

Steve Williams

In your system I don't see the MSB sounding better than the GG or Pac even with a valve not as good as the 242
Ked

TBH you heard my system 5 years ago so I don’t totally agree

IMO there is a huge difference in the output stage of both DACS

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
At my place I have a TRP
a New GG2 and pac
While each have there place the pac is clearly on top of the Mountain. I can start with the trp or gg2 but not with the pac.
I think this says all we need here. I sold off my MSB stack a while back and have never felt to look back. I think a tube in a dac is a amazing sound. And to allow swapping them for various voicing in ones setup makes it priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing