Pivoting Linear-Tracking Tonearms

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
At High End Munich I had the pleasure of meeting Helmut Theil and speaking with him at some length about his tonearm. I found Helmut to be the model of a gentleman passionate about his work. I also listened to the arm in a modest system by HEM standards that was more enjoyable than many of the uber systems at the show. The system included the darTZeel 8550 integrated and one of the smaller Steinhem models, the Aluminae 3 if I am not mistaken. The arms finish was superb and according to Helmut his arm is quite easy to install.

Attachments

• TA01-topview.jpg
    TA01-topview.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • TA01-Explo-1536x876.jpg
    TA01-Explo-1536x876.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Helmut-Thiele-Portrait-SW-768x1152.jpg
    Helmut-Thiele-Portrait-SW-768x1152.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 9

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
The platter has a .0035 bowl shape that flattens out the LP.

The arm operates usually around 12 PSI, Pictures are from 2005.

Never use Silicone~! It creeps and ruins everything. We use 50 weight Mobil 1 Synthetic (Has no smell).

View attachment 110349
Whole mechanism is located one or two inches over the platter, how do you change records? Do you have to swing whole mechanism to side?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
We already thought of that problem, Fixed it by machining the platter with a .0035" incline that traps the LP into a bowl shape.

Tonearm runs at about 12 PSI.

Also NEVER use Silicone! it creeps.
Never had a problem with silicone in any application ! Except laying my hands on the good stuff ! ;)

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing