Posting a Video Recording of Your System Playing

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Posting videos is risky because people can then judge on sound rather than just words. Later words might then be ignored. Interestingly, dealers who want to sell, post videos. They must think there is some merit to them. It is not easy to write about sound.

It is much easier to state experiences in words and claim what someone heard it at home in his own system, then people have no choice but to respect that, as what the writer says with his limited experience is then supreme

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hehe, I'm just stating the obvious. If you can't see it, your loss.

Al, I do not quite understand what is so obvious. We all seem to agree that videos do not sound the same as the systems they supposedly represent. We can also agree that systems do not sound the same as the live music they supposedly represent. This seems clear and obvious to all of us.

These truths do not however mean that some of us do not find some utility in using videos to supplement or compliment what we can express through writing about the sound of a system just as a system can serve as a substitute for real music. Absent actually being there to hear for ourselves, both can offer fairly good representations. They are the next best thing.

Would you rather read a description of a rock concert in Rolling Stone magazine or watch a video of Heart performing “Barracuda” live on YouTube with the volume cranked? This seems pretty obvious to most of us.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is much easier to state experiences in words and claim what someone heard it at home in his own system, then people have no choice but to respect that, as what the writer says with his limited experience is then supreme

I agree, but if one wants to convey more, a supplement can help. A video can replace an additional thousand words.

I learned early on that system videos can be brutal. That is why I did not post any of my own system until I began to feel confident in the direction my former system was going. Your and Tang’s videos encouraged me. DDK gave me advice about my early system tuning through the videos I sent him.

They are simply another tool through which we can communicate and learn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree, but if one wants to convey more, a supplement can help. A video can replace an additional thousand words.

I learned early on that system videos can be brutal. That is why I did not post any of my own system until I began to feel confident in the direction my former system was going. Your and Tang’s videos encouraged me. DDK gave me advice about my early system tuning through the videos I sent him.

They are simply another tool through which we can communicate and learn.

This is exactly how they should be used but it requires the owner to be open to feedback and both parties should be note exchangers. If you see how sensitive people are, even one thing they own if you don't like it, they create havoc as if you have slapped their new born. Most people say they have joined the forum to share experiences and learn more, but in reality they are here to defend what they own.

Reactions: wil

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Risky for what :) ??
PeterA hit the nail right on the head. He said

"Posting videos is risky because people can then judge on sound rather than just words. Later words might then be ignored."

You know there is only one place on earth where your system sounds great from how you write and not even have to be heard. That place is audio forum. ;)

But I encourage people not posting video if it is about preserving privacy or you just not into doing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

"Posting videos is risky because people can then judge on sound rather than just words. Later words might then be ignored."

You know there is only one place on earth where your system sounds great from how you write and not even have to be heard. That place is audio forum. ;)

But I encourage people not posting video if it is about preserving privacy or you just not into doing.

We should preserve privacy. Why would you expose your parts if they could be embarassing? Now someone built like me can do videos...

• Wow
Reactions: dbeau and PeterA

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
It is most useful if videos are recorded by Samsung or iPhone because anyone can have access to these two. People can get familiar with the characteristic of the sound of these recording devices. Videos below will make you aware of a typical difference of sound recorded from the two brand.

Samsung

iPhone

Superficially it seemed that Samsung beat out the iPhone in sound quality IMHO, but I will have another listen in light of the above comments. It doesn't matter as one can easily discern this is a nice-sounding system :).

Last edited:

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Superficially it seemed that Samsung beat out the iPhone in sound quality IMHO, but I will have another listen in light of the above comments. It doesn't matter as one can easily discern this is a nice-sounding system :).
On second audition I can now hear that edge (like digital) on the Samsung, and not on the iPhone recording (absence of which at first I thought was just lower recording volume). But, in light of my previous statement above, what does my opinion matter!

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
On second audition I can now hear that edge (like digital) on the Samsung, and not on the iPhone recording (absence of which at first I thought was just lower recording volume). But, in light of my previous statement above, what does my opinion matter!

I agree that the Samsung sounds more like digital and the iPhone sounds more like analog reproduction. But that is fine because many people think digital sounds more real and others think analog sounds more real. The videos were useful to demonstrate the different sounds of the two recording devices.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

The problem is the kind of sound -- it's not the sound of the system, but the sound of the video trying to, or rather pretending to, represent the sound of the system.

Big difference.

But anyways, I have heard the sound of system videos from people who have bragged in words about how good their systems sounded. Most of the videos sounded awful, absolutely terrible. Am I now taking their word for how good the system sounds, or am I inclined to judge their systems on the horrifyingly crappy sound that I hear from their system videos?

I am afraid it's the latter. Even if the video sound grossly misrepresents the sound from the system as heard in person -- something that may or may not be the case (but how would I know?).

Yet by posting their videos, they have made the choice for me, basically: Sound speaks louder than words.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The problem is the kind of sound -- it's not the sound of the system, but the sound of the video trying to, or rather pretending to, represent the sound of the system. Big difference.

But anyways, I have heard the sound from system videos from people who have bragged in words about how good their systems sounded. Most of the videos sounded awful, absolutely terrible. Am I now taking their word for how good the system sounds, or am I incined to judge their systems on the horrifyingly crappy sound that I hear from their system videos?

I am afraid it's the latter.

But by posting their videos, they have made the choice for me, basically.

Given your view on videos, you should not be using videos to judge sound

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Al, I do not quite understand what is so obvious. We all seem to agree that videos do not sound the same as the systems they supposedly represent. We can also agree that systems do not sound the same as the live music they supposedly represent. This seems clear and obvious to all of us.

These truths do not however mean that some of us do not find some utility in using videos to supplement or compliment what we can express through writing about the sound of a system just as a system can serve as a substitute for real music. Absent actually being there to hear for ourselves, both can offer fairly good representations. They are the next best thing.

Would you rather read a description of a rock concert in Rolling Stone magazine or watch a video of Heart performing “Barracuda” live on YouTube with the volume cranked? This seems pretty obvious to most of us.
In the case of Heart, I’d choose the option of not hearing!:rolleyes: I think a lot depends on the quality of the writing also.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Given your view on videos, you should not be using videos to judge sound

Sure.

But if I have a choice between words and sound, I tend to choose the sound, that's human nature. Especially when people post those videos to brag about their systems.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sure.

But if I have a choice between words and sound, I tend to choose the sound, that's human nature. Especially when people post those videos to brag about their systems.

I feel for you, you have to do something you don't believe in

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sure.

Al. You are shooting your own foot with the last sentence.

I normally don't read people who posted video brag about their system. They tend to be confident of their sound and let people do the judging themself. Some will like. Some will say the sound is crappy.

But I do hear you brag about how great your monitor + sub system is so very often by writing and your own writing only. ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al. You are shooting your own foot with the last sentence.

I normally don't read people who posted video brag about their system. They tend to be confident of their sound and let people do the judging themself.

That's certainly one interpretation, for sure.

But I do hear you brag about how great your monitor + sub system is so very often by writing and your own writing only. ;)

Truth is, I have often, repeatedly, mentioned on WBF the limitations of my system. I have been freely open about this. Maybe you didn't notice that.

Also, while lately, for various reasons, there have been no listening impressions by others on my system thread, a while ago there were. Most of them were positive. You can look through the thread if you are interested.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Truth is, I have often, repeatedly, mentioned on WBF the limitations of my system. I have been freely open about this. Maybe you didn't notice that.

Also, while lately, for various reasons, there have been no listening impressions by others on my system thread, a while ago there were. Most of them were positive. You can look through the thread if you are interested.

I agree with tang. You have always bragged about how near close to perfection your system is within your limitations. Including that Schitt dac and the octave

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I agree with tang. You have always bragged about how near close to perfection your system is within your limitations. Including that Schitt dac and the octave

Close to perfection? If that were the case, I would not repeatedly post about continuing improvements of my system.

I will never get close to perfection. Nobody does. Perfection is a great seat in a concert venue, nothing else.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
you should only post a video if you have fun, and not to prove something to others. is just a hobby and tastes are different so don't judge so harshly. Remember the old adage heal wounds, a good insult will last a lifetime.;)

Reactions: Rensselaer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing