PS Audio P300

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I have been using a P300 for a good while and really like what it does to my system.
Being only 300 watts I uses it for sources only.
The unit went defective last week and wonder if I should get it repaired or buy a newer unit on the used market?
I really like the possibility of tuning the cycle up a bit as I found id does put more flesh to the bones.
Are there any other power plant user on
All experienced comment welcome

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I got mine repaired pretty cheaply a couple of years ago. The newer ones are supposed to be better, but will cost at least 5-10x the cost of repair.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know someone with an incredibly SOTA system...full Kondo, Genesis 1.1s, DCS Scarlatti, Halcyonics for each of the boxes...and he really really like the PS Audio P300 because you can tune it with the voltage. And I am telling you, eyes closed...you can tell when he has changed the unit by 4 volts. He demonstrated and I could tell eyes shut. Not a problem. He could have whatever he wanted, and chooses to stay with the PS 300.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Will check to get it repaired by local tech then.
If it is impossible, will have to makeup my mind if I send it back to PS or buy an other unit used....
For now eater I or the wife likes the sound coming out of our system as much as we used to!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
PS will probably fix (almost) whatever is wrong for $250.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
They charge $500 flat rate for the full cure.
The problem Is that from Montréal it Will be close to $150 for shipping both ways may be more.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
The P300 have been out of my system for a couple weeks now!
Looking back now, there Is a gain in transparency, but there is something lacking in the sound......
Any more people have experience with power regenerators?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The P300 have been out of my system for a couple weeks now!
Looking back now, there Is a gain in transparency, but there is something lacking in the sound......
Any more people have experience with power regenerators?

Hi...limited experience with this but knowing someone who has an absolutely world-class system (DCS Scarlatti, full Halcyonics support, Kondo M1000, Kondo Gakuon)...I think he uses a PSAudio 300 on his Scarlatti because you can still adjust the voltage manually...and he showed me that even 4 volts difference makes a difference to overall SQ. I was very surprised. In general, I found the 300 when tweaked the extra 4 volts added a bit of solidity into the mids, deepened the strings a touch. Not by miles, but it was not supposed to do anything I thought.

In general however, and in less extreme scenarios, I sense that the 300 adds a bit of discipline across the linearity of the spectrum (the P1000 did in my system...I decided it felt a bit stiff in my system so I returned it.) But the regenerator was supposed to provide stable and consistent power to the component, making the task of the PSU easier...and thus greater linearity of overall performance. no idea if that's true at all, but I could kinda hear it.

Does adding one of these sometimes dampen dynamics a bit? I definitely heard that once before on some higher powered amps and not only transparency but dynamics returned when the PS audio was removed. However, for front end equipment (ie, not big power amps), I thought the PS audio did a great job with the Scarlatti. Two cents and admittedly very little true experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing