Psvane Acme Series (new flagship series)

U_J

Mar 16, 2021
The mesh is not significantly bright..I am able to bias the 845s myself and have started low at 50mA. will gradually raise them to about 70 mA
Ok, I run mine at 80ma , I found the older WE versions really came to life at around 80ma up to around 83ma so I just used the same settings for the Acmes, I found the Acmes did start to sound harsh once you got past 80ma, I have not really experimented with the Acmes running them at less than 80ma but now you have me thinking that I should experiment with lower bias to hear the effect. Whenever I ran the WE's at anything lower than 80ma they really started to lose dynamics in a big way.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have bought many 6SN7 valves and there are plenty of threads in forums discussing the merits of the different brands and types, in my instance I have replace Meltz 6SN7's with some vintage Kenrads with staggered plates in my main amps, in my opinion the Kenrads are fantastic but given they are old who can guarantee what you get with buying old stock.
In my pre I tried many 6SN7 valves on the input and output , I have ultimately settled on the PSvane CV181's in the input section , if you want to buy a great 6SN7 which is new I would highly recommend them ( but not cheap) , I have some Treasure light bulbs which are wideband top to bottom but ultimately I found them to lack musicality and finally I purchased some 50's Sylvanias which are pretty good and I use them in the output section. The new Tungsols which came with my pre are OK and in isolation sound fine but they are veiled and thin compared to any of the other valves when you do a comparison
It's always a gamble when you are getting a set of old tubes, but it's totally worth it.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
@Lowrider75 - how do you find the Linlai compare with the Melz we previously discussed?
The Linlai E-6SN7 may be the most transparent, low-noise tube I've ever heard. It presents a spacious soundstage with a deep tight low-end. I like to use a kick drum and bassline as a reference and this tube allows a realistic attack of the beater on drum head whilst a well defined bassline can easily be distinguished. The Melz digs deep with less subtlety. I love the huge soundstage and 3D imaging of the Melz which includes a touch of warmth. What I hear with the Linlai is neutrality and like the finest Sylvania, it gets out of the way of the music. The Melz adds drama to the recording.

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
I tried both the Linlai E-6sn7 and their less expensive Global Hi-Fi 6sn7 in my Atma-sphere M60's. I prefer the sound of the Global Hi-Fi version.
The bass is better on that one and the overall tonal balance seemed to be more neutral. The E-6sn7's seemed to accentuate the hi frequency spectrum at the expense of bass (the difference in sound of these tubes can be used to tune your system).
Linlai are making excellent sounding low noise low microphonic 6sn7's.
Most of the remaining supposed "NOS" 6sn7's are actually used pulls and are noisy and microphonic junk in comparison to these new tubes.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I tried both the Linlai E-6sn7 and their less expensive Global Hi-Fi 6sn7 in my Atma-sphere M60's. I prefer the sound of the Global Hi-Fi version.
The bass is better on that one and the overall tonal balance seemed to be more neutral. The E-6sn7's seemed to accentuate the hi frequency spectrum at the expense of bass (the difference in sound of these tubes can be used to tune your system).
Linlai are making excellent sounding low noise low microphonic 6sn7's.
Most of the remaining supposed "NOS" 6sn7's are actually used pulls and are noisy and microphonic junk in comparison to these new tubes.
I find your comments most interesting. There are threads on other forums in which the members, including myself, are confused about which Linlai to buy.
The website says the Global with the vertical logo is for export to the West. The E-6SN7 is for China. But the Global is very expensive. $305 per pair from Grant Fidelity, US dealer...

Where did you purchase your tubes, if you dont mind me asking? The Globals have been out of stock until recently.
The Ebay sellers are all based on China and sell the Chinese version to the US. They even take returns.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I agree, there aren't any more true NOS tubes. I've been able to buy tubes from reliable dealers that test as NOS.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
@aLLeARS
I didn't know about this cheaper 6SN7;

Which is the 6SN7 you compared it to, the tube with the vertical Linlai logo on the glass (US) ?
OR
The Chinese E-6SN7 with horizontal lettering?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The advantage of going through Rachel in Canada is that she gets the best of the best. I use the Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE from her in a Supratek Cabernet preamp and have been happy with the results. Far better than any of the older tubes I've tried, the WWII Sylvania 6F8G's being my favorite otherwise (haven't tried the early 1950's Tung-Sol).

Reactions: christoph

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
View attachment 94727
The advantage of going through Rachel in Canada is that she gets the best of the best. I use the Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE from her in a Supratek Cabernet preamp and have been happy with the results. Far better than any of the older tubes I've tried, the WWII Sylvania 6F8G's being my favorite otherwise (haven't tried the early 1950's Tung-Sol).
Who's Rachel in Canada?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Grant Fidelity/ Premium Vacuum Tubes. She’s been running the operation since her husband, Ian Grant, died of lung cancer in 2014. He made a nice inexpensive tube dac, maybe my first. Rachel lives in Calgary, is of Chinese origin and that’s her Anglicized name. She travels to China with some frequency to make arrangements with tube companies and attend audio shows.

Reactions: Lowrider75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@highstream
Have you or do you plan to try the Global Elite Linlai? Maybe a shootout with the Treasure Globes?

No, I haven’t been, and the price is not conducive to experimenting. I’d actually like something equivalent to the Treasure Globes, but a touch warmer, but for now may have to find it elsewhere in the system. My current focus is on melding JL Audio e-110 subs with ATC SCM 50 home actives. As far as I’ve been able to find, TAS reviewer Neil Gabler and I may be the only ones in the world using subs with the 50’s. It’s in that context I’m thinking about a touch more warmth. If not a tube, maybe a fuse. The dealer who delivered the ATC’s last month brought over the highly regarded Weiss 502 dac for comparison with my Lampi Atlantic TRP. Listening with the latter, he commented about how clean the sound was (not clinical). The 502 lost the clean, but had a pleasing warmth, and I politely commented about that. Though to be fair, the TRP was using a QSA Red fuse.

Back to the topic at hand, the Linai’s sound like they’re on the neutral side of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowrider75

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
No, I haven’t been, and the price is not conducive to experimenting. I’d actually like something equivalent to the Treasure Globes, but a touch warmer, but for now may have to find it elsewhere in the system. My current focus is on melding JL Audio e-110 subs with ATC SCM 50 home actives. As far as I’ve been able to find, TAS reviewer Neil Gabler and I may be the only ones in the world using subs with the 50’s. It’s in that context I’m thinking about a touch more warmth. If not a tube, maybe a fuse. The dealer who delivered the ATC’s last month brought over the highly regarded Weiss 502 dac for comparison with my Lampi Atlantic TRP. Listening with the latter, he commented about how clean the sound was (not clinical). The 502 lost the clean, but had a pleasing warmth, and I politely commented about that.

Back to the topic at hand, the Linai’s sound like they’re on the neutral side of things.

I'm trying to move my system more toward neutral. As you say, the Linlai Globals are not conducive to experimentation. The price is equal to a very good pair of NOS tubes (if there are any true NOS available).
I feel duped for grabbing a pair of the Chinese Linlai E-6SN7's early on due to the lower price on Ebay. Still, they're good sounding neutral tubes.

Thanks for your response. I'd love to hear those ATC 50's.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for your response. I'd love to hear those ATC 50's.

For a filtered hearing, there are a couple of YouTube videos from Pursuit Perfect System website (UK),

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
For a filtered hearing, there are a couple of YouTube videos from Pursuit Perfect System website (UK),
Thanks for these demos. First of all, I'm sure you realise it's not a fair fight; different setups, man's voice vs woman.
Having said that, I very much like the sound of the bottom clip; open, revealing, as realistic as it can be thru my Android.
Video #1 sounds closed in, active and passive. I think there's a room effect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing