Psvane Acme Series (new flagship series)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: wisnon

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I did compare WE reissues on art audio 300b to KR and EML. Over there WE sounded best but he had voiced the amp on them.

Reactions: wisnon

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Better than EML 300B XLS version?
My earlier post was based on using these 300b tubes in my amp, not the DAC. The ranking will be much different for the DAC. The EML XLS was my go to 300b for my amp prior to getting the Elrogs, and I prefered the Elrogs. I would put the RK 300b sightly above the EML XLS in the amp, but only my a small margin due to quietness and detail retrieval.

However, in the Golden Gate DAC, the RK 300b > EML XLS > Elrog. Of course, the rectifier matters and I've only tested with two rectifiers - RK5U4G and Tak 274b. I don't think an evaluation of output tubes in a Lampi DAC is transferrable to other use cases due to its rectifier interaction being critical. Also, the accompanying tubes in my amp were chosen to optimize the Elrogs, so one could argue the comparison wasn't completely fair in that scenario as well.

2 channel fan

Mar 18, 2019
The amp is good but a microzotl in particular will lead it to uncover and bring out the verve and incisiveness in the music, make it feel more resolved (throughout) and largely take away the woolly blanket effect if the mids and mid bass are currently a bit cloying. That said rolling in a fleet of top end tubes should do plenty to pick things up a great deal in the first place.

I finally bit the bullet an ordered a microZOTL MZ3 from Mark over at Linear Audio. After a three week build and burn wait they shipped the unit last night. I expect to have it up and running in my system before the weekend.
Qobuz->Intel NUC i7, 32GB RAM NVME SSD->Audivarna->Chord Qutest->MZ3->LM219ia->Klipsch Cornwall III. I am also excited to remove the LM-219ia and use the mz3 as an integrated AMP directly into the over 100db senstive Cornwells. Last but not least using the headphone amp into my Fostex TH900 MK2 cans.

At this point I am very concerned about the Cornwalls. They were a relatively inexpensive horn speaker that paired well with the LM-219. the next step may be replacing them with something comparable to Wilson speakers.

I'll report my good or bad findings back to the forum.

Kind Regards,

Jeff

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you Jeff.

Wrt upgrading your speakers... had you considered Pureaudioproject Horns. Great speaker that would sing with your LM219.

2 channel fan

Mar 18, 2019
Well, the microZOTL MZ3 arrived late yesterday afternoon. The unit was burned in at Linear Audio and setup was simple. It was ready to go in minutes. I swapped out the streamer and used my Qobuz->, Blusound 2i ->Chord Qutest->MZ3->LM219ia->Klipsch Cornwall III.

The MZ3 as a pre-amp brings a fullness and sound stage to the music that I did not think possible with the Cornwall. The mid range is much more pronounced. Listening at lower levels seems fuller and more refined. I get the in the room feeling.

I was only able to audition for a couple hours and will report back any additional findings over the weekend.

Jeff

Reactions: the sound of Tao

2 channel fan

Mar 18, 2019
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you Jeff.

Wrt upgrading your speakers... had you considered Pureaudioproject Horns. Great speaker that would sing with your LM219.

I have not heard an open back speaker before. My first reaction is "how can an open back create bass"? The more I read reviews about Spatial and pureaudioproject speakers it seems they have it nailed. Everyone claims the box bang is gone and I know that boxy bass bang sound all too well.

I'll be researching speakers for a couple months before replacing the Klipsch and would love to hear the Trio 15 speakers before moving forward.

Jeff

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have not heard an open back speaker before. My first reaction is "how can an open back create bass"? The more I read reviews about Spatial and pureaudioproject speakers it seems they have it nailed. Everyone claims the box bang is gone and I know that boxy bass bang sound all too well.

I'll be researching speakers for a couple months before replacing the Klipsch and would love to hear the Trio 15 speakers before moving forward.

Jeff
I’m loving mine... I’ve done quite a few upgrades and they just keep getting better and better. I love the Harbeth 40.2s and the Maggie 20.7s but it’s the upgraded Pap horns that are getting all the play time these days.

Getting panels and dipoles to do bass proper is a question of optimisation. When you get them extended they can do anything. It was the same with the Maggie 20.7s. I auditioned the Spatials... the Pap horn is an altogether far more refined and extraordinary beast. Completely and permanently transfixed by the lovely Pap horns (with the upgrades) I very much am.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Well, the microZOTL MZ3 arrived late yesterday afternoon. The unit was burned in at Linear Audio and setup was simple. It was ready to go in minutes. I swapped out the streamer and used my Qobuz->, Blusound 2i ->Chord Qutest->MZ3->LM219ia->Klipsch Cornwall III.

The MZ3 as a pre-amp brings a fullness and sound stage to the music that I did not think possible with the Cornwall. The mid range is much more pronounced. Listening at lower levels seems fuller and more refined. I get the in the room feeling.

I was only able to audition for a couple hours and will report back any additional findings over the weekend.

Jeff
Also complete love for the microzotl. I do figure it’s the perfect match for an LM. Much happy listening Jeff... I’m listening to mine now. Also pretty exceptional headphone amp as well if you’re in the least bit hp inclined.

Last edited:

2 channel fan

Mar 18, 2019
Also complete love for the microzotl. I do figure it’s the perfect match for an LM. Much happy listening Jeff... I’m listening to mine now. Also pretty exceptional headphone amp as well if you’re in the least bit hp inclined.

After a month or so or listening I could not be happier. The MZ3 opened up the sound stage and cooled off the LM-219ia which seemed bright at times. I saw some M3 Turbo speakers for sale locally and am doing my thing. I'll let you kow if I can get something done. The only compliant I have wit the Cornwall is boxey sund at med to high volume. As time goes on I am turning into a HIFI snob. Almost walked out of Peter Frampton farewell tour last month because it sounded really bad.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
After a month or so or listening I could not be happier. The MZ3 opened up the sound stage and cooled off the LM-219ia which seemed bright at times. I saw some M3 Turbo speakers for sale locally and am doing my thing. I'll let you kow if I can get something done. The only compliant I have wit the Cornwall is boxey sund at med to high volume. As time goes on I am turning into a HIFI snob. Almost walked out of Peter Frampton farewell tour last month because it sounded really bad.

That’s been the great thing about pairing microzotl with the LM SET for me as well. It moves it to just a more agile natural SET. No losses at all. Soundstage is definitely a win win as is quality and engagement of the bass structure. Trims off a tendency towards overfull colour and puts it very rightly and happily in the middle. Love it as a combo.

Also walking away from rubbish sound is not elitist, it’s just natural self protection from the horror of sonic hash. Always a very good move I figure. Why pay for pain.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was SO tempted 5 yrs to walk out of Rush at London O2. I haven't done an arena rock gig since.

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
Just purchased a pair of the Psvane ACME 300B tubes from Grant Fidelity. They replaced a pair of their WE 300B tubes . I did buy a pair of Elrog 300B tubes but did not think they were as good, in my system, as the WE 300Bs. The ACME tubes are an improvement over the WE 300Bs..I have about 200 hrs on them .

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I raved (and still do) how great ACME 274b is in Lampi threads and now in the addition, a good friend of mine deployed ACME 211 in his amps and he is over the moon with them. So yeah seems like a no brainer tubes...

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I had problems with my 845 for two times but they sorted it out every time. In the end, the working 845 I have is really good. I am happy that I have pursued it.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been sorely tempted to try these Pvsane Acme 211s, or the Mayer Elrog 211s/Molybdenum 211s, but I think I'm gonna pass.

I'm struggling to find an engineer who will help me re-bias my Nats, it still looks like there are reliability issues w these new super tubes, and no guarantee at all they'll sound better than my current '48 GE 211s. And I can't point to any area where I'm unhappy w my current SQ.

Too many unknown factors/doubts/logistical issues for me personally to go down this path. We're not just talking about sale or return on a simple slot in/out tweak like footers, fuse or pwr cord etc.

But I'm v pleased for those here where the effort has paid off.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I've been sorely tempted to try these Pvsane Acme 211s, or the Mayer Elrog 211s/Molybdenum 211s, but I think I'm gonna pass.

I'm struggling to find an engineer who will help me re-bias my Nats, it still looks like there are reliability issues w these new super tubes, and no guarantee at all they'll sound better than my current '48 GE 211s. And I can't point to any area where I'm unhappy w my current SQ.

Too many unknown factors/doubts/logistical issues for me personally to go down this path. We're not just talking about sale or return on a simple slot in/out tweak like footers, fuse or pwr cord etc.

But I'm v pleased for those here where the effort has paid off.

Ignorance is bliss. Just don't compare ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I literally can't compare.
That's the rub.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing