Puget Audio Fest

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Ki Choi speaking about reel to reel playback and decks in the Genesis/Merrill room to an attentive audience. Ki is the go-to tape expert for many including me.
The big Genesis at PAF reminds me of the back room with Mike Kay at Lyric HiFi, NYC, many moons ago. Congratulations, Gary, on keeping Arnie's masterpiece moving forward and worthy of that title along the way!

new-york-magazine-1990-cover.jpg

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Songer Audio S-1, Wammerdyne 2a3 amps View attachment 96226 View attachment 96227

Gary,

I posted this picture yesterday. I enjoyed the room yesterday, very refined and sweet sound. Visited again this morning and again found it to be very involving and listenable. Balanced sound, nice textures and tonal density. The amps were working well with the Songer’s, nice synergy. For a show system very promising.

Now owning a field coil tone arm, and field coil cartridge, so a field coil driver appeals to me. It’s special sounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Gary,

I posted this picture yesterday. I enjoyed the room yesterday, very refined and sweet sound. Visited again this morning and again found it to be very involving and listenable. Balanced sound, nice textures and tonal density. The amps were working well with the Songer’s, nice synergy. For a show system very promising.

Now owning a field coil tone arm, and field coil cartridge, so a field coil driver appeals to me. It’s special sounding.
Thanks, Mike! Sounds promising I always want to support US made products whenever possible.

Reactions: Alrainbow

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
And have fun Next year I will be there for sure!

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The big Genesis at PAF reminds me of the back room with Mike Kay at Lyric HiFi, NYC, many moons ago. Congratulations, Gary, on keeping Arnie's masterpiece moving forward and worthy of that title along the way!

View attachment 96301
I own a pair of them , while gary owned genises the revision of these , gary has made it all his own . Levels above the past ones i own even though i did all revisions i could do . I think gary is one the few makers who loves music more then just its revisions of the past .
I hope some great videos of his room are posted .

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I agree. IMHO, Gary's work and dedication to the art and science of sound reproduction is vastly underappreciated in the US. I'm looking forward to visiting Gary and hearing his work someday soon.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The genesis / merril set up looks great.
Gobel CH id like to hear as well

I d love to have heard that genesis tape set up (and the tape explanation etc of ki..)

By the way is that a studer C 37 in the back , its hard to see ?
And secondly how does the gain stage work in the merril tape pre amplifier is that transistor ?

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Acora speaker sounds clean and detailed driven by Vac amp and Lampi Horizon Dac.

It use Scanspeak drivers including berrilum tweeter.

It's inert cabinet using real granite contribute to clean sound.

Considering its weight (250 lb for each) and expensive driver units, it does not appear to be expensive at 27000$.

The most important thing is that it's sound is enjoyable.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
KingRex Electric

Rex knows his A/C power grid. Here is some of his work which I’m not qualified to explain. (maybe he will).

View attachment 96276 View attachment 96277
A small piece of what I do is take a stock SqD panel like the first image and I strip all the aluminum grounds and neutrals out and replace them with copper. I also hone the tin off the copper at contact points so all contact is copper to copper. I also use polymer to damp vibrations and rattle.

The 3rd image is a SqD Panelboard I do the same with. But note the robust size of the bus. Your going from a 5/8" x 1/8" bus to a 1.5" x 1/8" bus. And the fingers the breakers connect to are silver coated. And you can use bolt on breakers. That panel will feed any amp. I don't care the size. Its 225A rated bus.

The last panel is fully custom. Its all pure copper. Its an amazing piece. I have one in my home. Its 120 volt only. You don't have a wire doing nothing in the feeder or in the panel. I made this panel for 2 reasons. To be a stand alone like any other. And also the be a distribution behind a Torus wall mount. It will distribute for any 240 volt to 120 volt Torus. And it will take an AFCI so its 100% NEC and code compliant. It can be used in any home.

I also have my grain oriented 10 AWG twisted THHN/THWN. Garth Powel told me you can hear the grain in wire that occurs during manufacturing. Others have verified its there. I built a tool and sure enough its audible. I orient the black, white and.green, then insert them in a large bobbin that holds the wire and I spin off rolls off 500 feet. Cut by the foot to whatever you need. Again, all 100% NEC UL code compliant.

Lastly and what I do most, I listen to my customers needs and draw up a comprehensive individualized plan and specification that details all steps required to power any system in any home. From adding a circuit to a new build taking into account server farms, security systems, multiple buildings, movie theaters, audio systems, solar, UPS, PFC for large motors etc. I have 6 pages of specifications I have developed and include detailed photos to show the bidding electrician exactly what to do to make bidding and installation as understandable as possible. And I travel as needed to any state or Canada to oversee the install and guide the process as needed.

Attachments

• 20220730_104845.jpg
    20220730_104845.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220730_104656.jpg
    20220730_104656.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220730_104650.jpg
    20220730_104650.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220730_104644.jpg
    20220730_104644.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 29

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Bob, I heard 5 people standing in the hall outside your Rhapsody room saying that was the best sound at the show. I really liked those AlsyVox too. The Pilium was doing them justice.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was there Fri/Sat. Was awesome to see folks I hadn't seen in years as well as meeting some for the first time! (KingRex and others)

I thought the best sounds were, in no particular order, Greg Beron/Oz room, Gary's room and Joseph/Doshi room. Coincidently all tape rooms! Special recognition should go to Darrin at Jaguar Audio for making horns not sound like horns. Never liked the way horns sound, but this was a treat!

As others have alluded to, let's hope this is the beginning of a yearly tradition for us folks up here in the PNW. Sorry it was so damn hot... I had a learning moment when I tried riding at motorcycle in 96 degree weather in stop/go traffic!

Reactions: garylkoh and KeithR

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Folks have no teason to move to Seattle. It rains here all the time

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Estelon showed lot of promise in small room.

It sounds clear and dynamic.

It was driven by Kreall pre and power amp.

it would be worthwhile to try warmer sounding pre amp on it to give mor body on the sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing