Question for Brinkmann owners...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I would like to ask a follow up question about the optional RoNt power supply. I'm using a Kuzma 4Point arm, which feeds my phono stage directly. The Bardo's outputs are unused. The anecdotal evidence suggests the RoNt is a "not subtle" upgrade, but is this related to using the Bardo's outputs? I'm struggling to see how a different power supply would affect the direct drive in that "not subtle" way?

Hi, I have a Bardo too, love it!
I do not keep the motor running 24/7 – there’s no need. I just start it ~10 min before playing.

I also have the RonT II. I can honestly say it makes a huge difference to the sound! I don’t use the Bardo’s outputs either, but not sure why that would make a difference.
Today I just upgraded the 5AR4 tube in the RonT II to the BZ34 tube “emulator”. I couldn’t believe the difference! More clarity, more low end, wider soundstage... really it was shocking.
Keep in mind I feed to RonT with regenerated AC from a PS Audio P20 (a PSA Power Plant is an absolute must in any system, IMO). I was not expecting much of a difference with the BZ34, given that the P20.
All I can say is - both the RonT II and the BZ34 are absolutely worth it. As is the P20 ;)

My TT playback system:
Bardo with glass platter and HRS platform -> SME V12 arm with Kondo wiring -> Kondo Japan IO-M, SFz, M77, Souga

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have the Bardo with the optional upgraded Balance supply that is in the metal case. The tube Ronit supply on tests did not give apparently good performance and may be a bit noisy. I would suggest the upgraded balance supply which is also solid state like the original but is a bit more robust. As to leaving it on, I suppose there is no harm to it. The bearing oil does probably settle in from the heat of the motor once it is on for about 15 minutes and I don’t bother to leave it on.

Maybe with the RonT I, but I never heard of that. I can tell you with the RonT II the difference compared to the upgraded metal power supply (not the new bigger one) is massive. Not even close. Ultimately, the RonT supply will be better than any solid state. Why? Because the tubes isolate the AC from the DC output. The description is on Brinkmann’s site. Honestly, it’s not even close. I’m shocked at the sound improvement.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I have the Bardo with the optional upgraded Balance supply that is in the metal case. The tube Ronit supply on tests did not give apparently good performance and may be a bit noisy. I would suggest the upgraded balance supply which is also solid state like the original but is a bit more robust. As to leaving it on, I suppose there is no harm to it. The bearing oil does probably settle in from the heat of the motor once it is on for about 15 minutes and I don’t bother to leave it on.

@MrC. actually you have made some very accurate points.

I have recently compared all generations of Ronts (I, II and III) side by side (read from this post onwards https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/page-6#post-697214).

The versions with the covered transformers are more noisy (with the ear placed next to the transformers ) than the versions with the uncovered transformers which are completely noiseless, I am still checking to see whether the transformers covers are resonating due to magnetostriction effect. Personally I am using Ront III, Version I with the uncovered transformers.

You are also very accurate in regards with the time needed to get into operational temperature. Actually it needs 18 minutes at a room temperature of 22 degrees Celsius- I have logged over 50 operational circles with 2‘ intervals between measurements. Each Circe had a duration of 4 hours. This is done with the use of roadrunner and a custom made software which is using Roadrunner’s output. (I think that this tool is very useful for all the turntables owners regardless the brand.)

After 18 minutes of operation, the speed remains completely stable and accurate. If the speed is not pm me.

The condition is that the bearing has the adequate oil level. There are many indications which they will show you if the bearing oil is not of the right capacity.

Laslty BZ34 solid state rectifier is superior of the Russian Sovtek by all means. However the Mullard and all the Mullard rebranded GZ34s are the kings.

the coming week I will have two unused NOS Metal Base Mullards GZ34 to compare next to my other NOS Mullards

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Vienna as they say ' you are in it to win it'. Your efforts to clarify these PS differences are valuable data points for Brinkmann owners and in general as well.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
@MrC. actually you have made some very accurate points.

I have recently compared all generations of Ronts (I, II and III) side by side (read from this post onwards https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/page-6#post-697214).

The versions with the covered transformers are more noisy (with the ear placed next to the transformers ) than the versions with the uncovered transformers which are completely noiseless, I am still checking to see whether the transformers covers are resonating due to magnetostriction effect. Personally I am using Ront III, Version I with the uncovered transformers.

You are also very accurate in regards with the time needed to get into operational temperature. Actually it needs 18 minutes at a room temperature of 22 degrees Celsius- I have logged over 50 operational circles with 2‘ intervals between measurements. Each Circe had a duration of 4 hours. This is done with the use of roadrunner and a custom made software which is using Roadrunner’s output. (I think that this tool is very useful for all the turntables owners regardless the brand.)

After 18 minutes of operation, the speed remains completely stable and accurate. If the speed is not pm me.

The condition is that the bearing has the adequate oil level. There are many indications which they will show you if the bearing oil is not of the right capacity.

Laslty BZ34 solid state rectifier is superior of the Russian Sovtek by all means. However the Mullard and all the Mullard rebranded GZ34s are the kings.

the coming week I will have two unused NOS Metal Base Mullards GZ34 to compare next to my other NOS Mullards
This is very interesting, thank you for sharing.

I will also add that the noise has decreased when using the BZ34 instead of the Russian tube, on my RonT II. My RoNT II has the uncovered transfomers, so it’s already quieter than the covered version. The BZ34 made it even quieter.

I never tried the Mullard tube, but the Sovtek tube is junk, given the vast improvement I noticed when I replaced it with the BZ34. Either the Sovtek is junk, or the BZ34 is a huge improvement, or both!

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Thinking of getting a Oasis or Taurus, does anyone have strong perference or insights regarding the differences between the two?

Dengrud

May 15, 2021
Hi Everyone,

im quite new to this forum. Thanks for your valuable insights. I own a Bardo with Kuzma 4P- 11 and fancying with Taurus. Anybody knows if the Kuzma / Bardo arm adaptor works for Taurus as well ? According to the pictures, it should but…
thanks for your response in advance.
Rest of the system: lyra Kleos , RoNT II, Pass XP17 , Vitus SIA 025 and Boenicke W11SE. Accuphase DP 67. Acoustic Revive Reference and Absolute cables and base, Finite Master Rack ,HRS.,Stillpoints

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi Everyone,

im quite new to this forum. Thanks for your valuable insights. I own a Bardo with Kuzma 4P- 11 and fancying with Taurus. Anybody knows if the Kuzma / Bardo arm adaptor works for Taurus as well ? According to the pictures, it should but…
thanks for your response in advance.
Rest of the system: lyra Kleos , RoNT II, Pass XP17 , Vitus SIA 025 and Boenicke W11SE. Accuphase DP 67. Acoustic Revive Reference and Absolute cables and base, Finite Master Rack ,HRS.,Stillpoints
Welcome!
It should fit, I agree; but best to ask Helmut Brinkmann.
Let us know how it sounds compared to the Bardo when you make the change.
I see you also have an RoNT II - definitely get the BZ34 tube - massive improvement.

Dengrud

May 15, 2021
Thank you very much. I’ll visit a dealer concerning the BZ34 and he might know about the 4P adaptor. I’ll post the impressions once I make the “ move”.
if not either Helmut or Franc would certainly know.
*****enjoy the music*****

Dengrud

May 15, 2021
Hi again,
i have a confirmation from Brinkmann that Bardo / 4P adapter will fit Taurus as well.
in the meantime I pulled the trigger and Taurus is coming in few weeks. I’ll keep you informed. Ciao for now.

Reactions: findog and rDin

Dengrud

May 15, 2021
Hi everyone,

as promised here are some photos of a new Taurus with Kuzma 4P-11 Arm. TA shifting from Bardo to Taurus was hasslefree and the new "baby " sounds awesome. I have a Bardo without TA to sell now. Anybody interested ( 240V - EU version located in Germany ) ?
In the mean time enjoy some brand new and fresh Taurus photos.

Kind regards

ciao
Denis

Attachments

• IMG_5159.JPG
    IMG_5159.JPG
    658.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    728.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5161.JPG
    IMG_5161.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 34

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I also have the RonT II. I can honestly say it makes a huge difference to the sound!

How would you describe the differences?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
How would you describe the differences?
Here’s what I wrote to my dealer when I installed the Brinkmann BZ34 “tube” in the RoNT II. The comments below really pertain to the BZ34. I can’t recall what the differences were of the RONT vs the stock PSU since it was about a decade ago that I got it.
Now I’ve moved on to the Nagra TT…
The difference is significant! I was shocked at how different it sounds: more bass, increased instrument separation and more ‘holographic’ sound. I was just using the stock tube in the RoNT II before.
Most potential customers probably won’t believe it, until they try it!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your thoughts!

I haven't heard the difference so this is unfair. But I am skeptical about the BZ34 non-tube masquerading as a tube.

I believe Helmut's original justification for the tube power supply was that the tube somehow cleanses noise from the system. So if you need a tube to do that, it makes no sense to me that a non-tube suddenly would perform the same trick. The power supply could've been all solid-state from the beginning.

Reactions: mtemur

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The difference in performance of the 2 PSU is easy to recognize, but it depends on you personal taste, if you see the Ront PSU as performance upgrade or just as a different sound.

1/3 of my visitors preferred the original PSU, 2/3 preferred Ront, you have to find out, to which camp you belong.

What did the 1/3 of the visitors who preferred the original PSU say about why they preferred it over the RoNT?

What did the 2/3 of the visitors who preferred the RoNT say about why they preferred it over the original PSU?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
What did the 1/3 of the visitors who preferred the original PSU say about why they preferred it over the RoNT?

What did the 2/3 of the visitors who preferred the RoNT say about why they preferred it over the original PSU?
The quality and brand of tubes makes a big difference to the RoNT sound. The BZ34 is Helmut’s answer to that - since the best sounding tubes are now hard to find and expensive. I have not heard the RoNT with these tubes, only with the stock tubes and the BZ34. What I wrote above was the difference in sound quality solely from the BZ34 tube! I too was skeptical, but the improvement was not subtle.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The RoNT III ships with the BZ34. I have a II, for which I bought the BZ separately.

Instead of the previously used Chinese rectifier tubes, the new RöNt III now uses a "Rectifier Tube Simulator" developed by Helmut Brinkmann called BZ34, which performs the same function as a rectifier tube, but without power drift, aging and potential for failure.
The complex circuit emulates the function and sound of a GZ34 NOS Mullard tube. In doing so, the BZ34 uses the same octal tube connector as the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube it replaces, so it can be retrofitted into existing RöNtIIs.
In addition to the BZ34, RöNtIII includes additional circuit modifications and improved transformers. In terms of features and aesthetics, RöNtIII is otherwise identical to its predecessor.
RöNtIII will ship in December at a German MSRP of 5,490€. The BZ34 "Rectifier Tube Simulator" will ship in early 2021, price 600€.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I have a Balance with RöNt and solid state power supplies. I really don't hear a difference between the two. I trust that there might be subtle differences so I use the RöNt.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I believe Helmut's original justification for the tube power supply was that the tube somehow cleanses noise from the system. So if you need a tube to do that, it makes no sense to me that a non-tube suddenly would perform the same trick. The power supply could've been all solid-state from the beginning.
+1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a Balance with RöNt and solid state power supplies. I really don't hear a difference between the two. I trust that their might be subtle differences so I use the RöNt.

Thank you for your report!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing