Question for Brinkmann owners...

Surge1

Feb 12, 2021
I would like to ask a follow up question about the optional RoNt power supply. I'm using a Kuzma 4Point arm, which feeds my phono stage directly. The Bardo's outputs are unused. The anecdotal evidence suggests the RoNt is a "not subtle" upgrade, but is this related to using the Bardo's outputs? I'm struggling to see how a different power supply would affect the direct drive in that "not subtle" way?

Hi, I have a Bardo too, love it!
I do not keep the motor running 24/7 – there’s no need. I just start it ~10 min before playing.

I also have the RonT II. I can honestly say it makes a huge difference to the sound! I don’t use the Bardo’s outputs either, but not sure why that would make a difference.
Today I just upgraded the 5AR4 tube in the RonT II to the BZ34 tube “emulator”. I couldn’t believe the difference! More clarity, more low end, wider soundstage... really it was shocking.
Keep in mind I feed to RonT with regenerated AC from a PS Audio P20 (a PSA Power Plant is an absolute must in any system, IMO). I was not expecting much of a difference with the BZ34, given that the P20.
All I can say is - both the RonT II and the BZ34 are absolutely worth it. As is the P20 ;)

My TT playback system:
Bardo with glass platter and HRS platform -> SME V12 arm with Kondo wiring -> Kondo Japan IO-M, SFz, M77, Souga

Last edited:

Surge1

Feb 12, 2021
I have the Bardo with the optional upgraded Balance supply that is in the metal case. The tube Ronit supply on tests did not give apparently good performance and may be a bit noisy. I would suggest the upgraded balance supply which is also solid state like the original but is a bit more robust. As to leaving it on, I suppose there is no harm to it. The bearing oil does probably settle in from the heat of the motor once it is on for about 15 minutes and I don’t bother to leave it on.

Maybe with the RonT I, but I never heard of that. I can tell you with the RonT II the difference compared to the upgraded metal power supply (not the new bigger one) is massive. Not even close. Ultimately, the RonT supply will be better than any solid state. Why? Because the tubes isolate the AC from the DC output. The description is on Brinkmann’s site. Honestly, it’s not even close. I’m shocked at the sound improvement.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Oct 14, 2018
Lat: 37.907962N Long:023.714655E
I have the Bardo with the optional upgraded Balance supply that is in the metal case. The tube Ronit supply on tests did not give apparently good performance and may be a bit noisy. I would suggest the upgraded balance supply which is also solid state like the original but is a bit more robust. As to leaving it on, I suppose there is no harm to it. The bearing oil does probably settle in from the heat of the motor once it is on for about 15 minutes and I don’t bother to leave it on.

@MrC. actually you have made some very accurate points.

I have recently compared all generations of Ronts (I, II and III) side by side (read from this post onwards https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/page-6#post-697214).

The versions with the covered transformers are more noisy (with the ear placed next to the transformers ) than the versions with the uncovered transformers which are completely noiseless, I am still checking to see whether the transformers covers are resonating due to magnetostriction effect. Personally I am using Ront III, Version I with the uncovered transformers.

You are also very accurate in regards with the time needed to get into operational temperature. Actually it needs 18 minutes at a room temperature of 22 degrees Celsius- I have logged over 50 operational circles with 2‘ intervals between measurements. Each Circe had a duration of 4 hours. This is done with the use of roadrunner and a custom made software which is using Roadrunner’s output. (I think that this tool is very useful for all the turntables owners regardless the brand.)

After 18 minutes of operation, the speed remains completely stable and accurate. If the speed is not pm me.

The condition is that the bearing has the adequate oil level. There are many indications which they will show you if the bearing oil is not of the right capacity.

Laslty BZ34 solid state rectifier is superior of the Russian Sovtek by all means. However the Mullard and all the Mullard rebranded GZ34s are the kings.

the coming week I will have two unused NOS Metal Base Mullards GZ34 to compare next to my other NOS Mullards

Last edited:
Reactions: Surge1

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Vienna as they say ' you are in it to win it'. Your efforts to clarify these PS differences are valuable data points for Brinkmann owners and in general as well.

Reactions: Vienna

Surge1

Feb 12, 2021
@MrC. actually you have made some very accurate points.

I have recently compared all generations of Ronts (I, II and III) side by side (read from this post onwards https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/page-6#post-697214).

The versions with the covered transformers are more noisy (with the ear placed next to the transformers ) than the versions with the uncovered transformers which are completely noiseless, I am still checking to see whether the transformers covers are resonating due to magnetostriction effect. Personally I am using Ront III, Version I with the uncovered transformers.

You are also very accurate in regards with the time needed to get into operational temperature. Actually it needs 18 minutes at a room temperature of 22 degrees Celsius- I have logged over 50 operational circles with 2‘ intervals between measurements. Each Circe had a duration of 4 hours. This is done with the use of roadrunner and a custom made software which is using Roadrunner’s output. (I think that this tool is very useful for all the turntables owners regardless the brand.)

After 18 minutes of operation, the speed remains completely stable and accurate. If the speed is not pm me.

The condition is that the bearing has the adequate oil level. There are many indications which they will show you if the bearing oil is not of the right capacity.

Laslty BZ34 solid state rectifier is superior of the Russian Sovtek by all means. However the Mullard and all the Mullard rebranded GZ34s are the kings.

the coming week I will have two unused NOS Metal Base Mullards GZ34 to compare next to my other NOS Mullards
This is very interesting, thank you for sharing.

I will also add that the noise has decreased when using the BZ34 instead of the Russian tube, on my RonT II. My RoNT II has the uncovered transfomers, so it’s already quieter than the covered version. The BZ34 made it even quieter.

I never tried the Mullard tube, but the Sovtek tube is junk, given the vast improvement I noticed when I replaced it with the BZ34. Either the Sovtek is junk, or the BZ34 is a huge improvement, or both!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing