Question for Brinkmann owners...

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
What did the 1/3 of the visitors who preferred the original PSU say about why they preferred it over the RoNT?

What did the 2/3 of the visitors who preferred the RoNT say about why they preferred it over the original PSU?
too long ago ,....

but from my memory the Solid state PSU was more detail, the Rönt had more punch lower mids, never heard Rönt III

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
too long ago ,....

but from my memory the Solid state PSU was more detail, the Rönt had more punch lower mids, never heard Rönt III
Thank you!

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have compared the Ront II and III as well as the III without the Brinkman "rectifier" , I also had the Ront I on my La Grange- which btw is a great table and some may prefer to the Balance.

The addition of any Ront is going to contribute more air, sense of space and depth - perhaps the emphisis on lower midrange.

These are things that I value and the addition of the Ront , for me, was irrefutable... its presence was known. Now whether you prefer it or not is personal. No one in my group would run the Balance without it.

On the Ront III that really is a sign of the times and the unavailability of good NOS British GZ34's. Not sure if it is still going on but if you order the anniversary edition Balance it comes supplied with a real Mullard GZ34.

I prefer the Mullard Gz34 in the Ront III-- that is how I run mine.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The addition of any Ront is going to contribute more air, sense of space and depth - perhaps the emphisis on lower midrange.

Thank you!

Do you think the RoNt sounds more detailed, more "revealing"?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thank you!

Do you think the RoNt sounds more detailed, more "revealing"?
Ron,

For me the Balance is more expressive with than without it. I think by reading your preferences and comments you would prefer running with it. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do we know if the solid-state emulator version sounds as good, or almost as good, as the actual Mullard tube version?

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I have a Balance with RöNt and solid state power supplies. I really don't hear a difference between the two. I trust that there might be subtle differences so I use the RöNt.
One clear difference between the two is repeatably measurable with AnalogMagik, and that is speed stability. With the solid state supply I get stability reading (wow & flutter) of 0.03%. With the Ront II it's 0.003%. An order of magnitude better. Can you hear the difference? *shrug* I actually have the BZ34 on order as a replacement for the aging tube, so will be interested to measure this aspect once installed.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
One clear difference between the two is repeatably measurable with AnalogMagik, and that is speed stability. With the solid state supply I get stability reading (wow & flutter) of 0.03%. With the Ront II it's 0.003%. An order of magnitude better. Can you hear the difference? *shrug* I actually have the BZ34 on order as a replacement for the aging tube, so will be interested to measure this aspect once installed.
Hi rDin,
I’m curious about the AM w&f results you shared. Could there be a mistake cause I’ve never came across 0.003% w&f with AM, not even 0.03%. If there is no mistake then they’re absolutely amazing results IMHO.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With the solid state supply I get stability reading (wow & flutter) of 0.03%. With the Ront II it's 0.003%. An order of magnitude better.

Very interesting objective and measurable difference!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I really don't hear a difference between the two.

I applaud you for this candor! (I, too, have no problem admitting I sometimes don't hear a difference in a comparison.)

(I wonder how much more accurate some of our (the collective "our") reporting would be if we didn't feel the pressure or bias to find a "difference.")

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Hi rDin,
I’m curious about the AM w&f results you sahred. Could there be a mistake cause I’ve never came across 0.003% w&f with AM, not even 0.03%. If there is no mistake then they’re absolutely amazing results IMHO.
Yes, it’s possible there’s a decimal point error - I’m going from memory - but the Ront ll definitely measured 10 times better. Repeatedly. I’ll redo the Ront measurement next time I get the opportunity and post the result.

edit: remeasured Ront w&f @ 0.05%, so the solid state supply was more like 0.5%

This is my direct drive Bardo turntable.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have run the new "Bz34" and a mullard GZ34. The best description for me is probably more incisive with the BZ34 and more perceived depth and space with the real Mullard.

On speed stability, the SS is taxed as a small class A amp to indirectly provide heat to the bearing housing as well as using the rails to provide power to the motor. There should be a difference between the Ront and the dual purpose SS supply.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That’s very close to the best result I get so far.

There is a guy who doesn't post much these days - Vienna (Savvas). I had recommended him the BB sonically, as had dcc, he bought it, but the way he went about his auditions was also quite measurement based. He measured all the tables he demoed, and found BB to be the best measuring one.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I considered the RONT but just found it very expensive for what it is. I have the large PS posted earlier before the bigger Taurus came out.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I had a Balance TT during ten years and I recently sold it.

It came with the RonT II but I only plugged it after several weeks and there were audible subjective improvements. I subsequently swapped the stock rectifier tube for a Mullar GZ34 and again, I could sense some improvement.

Two years ago, I sent the RonT II to Brinkmann for a small overhaul. During several weeks, I had to only use the SS power supply and I could clearly sense that I was missing something. I was very happy when I got the RonT II back. It also came with a BZ34. In my case, I preferred the BZ34 and the Mullard GZ34 has remained in a drawer since then.

The turntable got measured with AnalogMagik by Ana Mighty Sound. I don't recall the measurements we obtained (I might find back some screen shots) but I remember François telling me that we had excellent W&F figures.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I don't recall the measurements we obtained (I might find back some screen shots) but I remember François telling me that we had excellent W&F figures.
I wonder if this is the source of subjective improvements with the Ront then? (10x) Less W&F translates into better sound quality? I wonder what level of W&F is detectible by our hearing...?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a Balance TT during ten years and I recently sold it.
Thank you for this report. Why did you sell it recently?

Which turntable did you move to?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yes, it’s possible there’s a decimal point error - I’m going from memory - but the Ront ll definitely measured 10 times better. Repeatedly. I’ll redo the Ront measurement next time I get the opportunity and post the result.

edit: remeasured Ront w&f @ 0.05%, so the solid state supply was more like 0.5%

This is my direct drive Bardo turntable.
My Bardo with SS supply measured around 0.04%. The decimal point is correctly placed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing