Racked With Doubt: Symposium vs. Artesania?

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
I am new to WBF, and have never posted here before. I typically do not post anywhere, but I have been reading the posts on WBF and have been impressed by the knowledge, experience, and civility of the members who post. I am researching the purchase of a replacement rack for my system and I am torn between the Artesania Exoteryc with the Krion Turntable Platform versus the Symposium Osiris Stealth. Does anyone reading have experience with (or knowledge of) the pros and cons of each? I expect that, as with anything else audio-related, each will have its tradeoffs. My components include the Vivid Giya G2S2; CH Precision M1.1; CH Precision L1/X1; CH Precision P1/X1; Luxman DX10; and TechDas AFIIIP. I would appreciate your recommendations and advice. Thank you.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nathanu, welcome. I run a 3-tier Symposium Isis rack and ampstands (predecessor to Osiris), plus an Osiris ampstand. I can't comment on the Artesania, but happy to offer my 3 cents (taking account of inflation) on the Symposium.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Nathanu, welcome. I run a 3-tier Symposium Isis rack and ampstands (predecessor to Osiris), plus an Osiris ampstand. I can't comment on the Artesania, but happy to offer my 3 cents (taking account of inflation) on the Symposium.

Marc - do the Symposium racks bring (roughly) the same characteristics as the Rollerballs?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Welcome and nice system. If any forum can help you make an informed decision, it's WBF. Hopefully, you'll get the input you need.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc - do the Symposium racks bring (roughly) the same characteristics as the Rollerballs?
Tim, the first thing to say is that Symposium is pretty characterless. That means it doesn't immediately "stand out". So, it's better across the board, but hard to point out a slam dunk eureka moment. Only on going back to my original rack, and ABAing versus the alternative I tried (GPA Monaco, I believe), did I "get" the Symposium advantages. And to me, this made the purchase totally positive, and long term contribution totally invaluable.
It's a little hard to seperate the effects of the rack from Rollerblocks. Again, the effects didn't hit me btwn the eyes (ears), but snuck up on me after a little in depth listening.
I would say the Rollerblocks are complementary to the Isis rack, some synergy in terms of building upon the advantages of the rack.
One additional matter...Peter who runs Symposium is hands down the most friendly and helpful designer I've had the pleasure of dealing with in this hobby, his advice and explanations proved so positive. He even saved me money on diverting me away from a pricey purchase thru him I was ready to transact.

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
Thanks for the insight. If anyone reading has experience with both Symposium and Artesania, please jump in.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks for the insight. If anyone reading has experience with both Symposium and Artesania, please jump in.
welcome. the krion table offered a much improved, cleaner sound over the Artesania glass, theater style table i still have. i am not familiar with Symposium.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Since they are both SOTA products (each should be solid performers) and once one chooses and is happy with what they hear, they are unlikely to look further. And there are so many other variables with your system that will impact the final sonic result.

See if you can audition one in your system to determine your comfort level with that product. If that's not possible, do your due diligence and make a decision. Either product should meet your performance expectations. Good luck.

Last edited:

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
I am a big believer in Symposium products. Started with Svelte platforms several years ago. Now I have one three level Symposium Ultra Stealth rack and one four level Ultra Stealth rack. I haven't used the Osiris so I can't comment there. What I can say is that this company's products are well made. I special ordered one of my racks with an oversized Turntable platform (27"x23") so that it could accommodate some of the larger decks out there. And, I ordered extra rails so that my rack could stand 250lbs of weight on the top shelf.

Regarding sound quality, I agree that the effect is subtle yet noticeable, and agreeable--clarity of vocals will increase slightly. I now use Stillpoints underneath all my equipment on the rack and the Stillpoints sit on the Symposium shelves of the rack. I don't know why this combination works, but I tried it and I liked it--alot. I read an Agoner post years ago who swore by it. I have tried the Stillpoints under the equipment without Syposium products under them. There is a definite difference in the sound from the equipment, but as others have noted on WBF, in some instances with some equipment (not all) it can bleach or sterilize the sound to a degree. For whatever reason combining the Stillpoints with Symposium shelves/platforms seems to erase this effect (to my ears anyway).

One down side is the shelves can get marked up if you tend to "drag" your equipment across them rather than lifting it off the shelf to move it. I made this mistake with my Svelte platforms. My Ultra Stealth racks don't seem to have a scratch.

Reactions: Minnesotafats

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting, Al. I also have been a big fan of Stillpoints (as well as HRS, SRA both of which I use..as well as Artesania dampers). In fact, we just went from Ultra 6 to Ultra 6 v2 yesterday...and we STILL use HRS Nimbus Couplers on TOP of the Ultra 6s...directly underneath the chassis of the equipment to create what appears to be a similar effect as to what you have with Stillpoints on top of Symposium.

I wonder if Symposium is absorbing some of the 'steely' back-reflections or whatever that are creating that slight hardness/bleaching that some of us hear. In the same way that perhaps the HRS Nimbus Couplers are also blocking that from coming from the Stillpoints back up into the equipment it is supporting.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I'm all spun up on racks myself. I like the fact the Symposium can have wheels. I need to move my gear in and out from the wall quite often.

I want neutral and clean. I'm a bit concerned as soon as it all moves over, tuning with feet will be an ordeal. Where do you start.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kingrex, I did audition Stillpoints 5 after acquiring Symposium/Rollerblocks and quickly concluded the SPs imposed more coloration. Not a direction I wanted to follow beyond the trial.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Kingrex, I did audition Stillpoints 5 after acquiring Symposium/Rollerblocks and quickly concluded the SPs imposed more coloration. Not a direction I wanted to follow beyond the trial.
Good to know. I assume I will be looking at the foundation series. Doubt I will be able to afford the Osiris. They sure look good.
I have played with all sorts of DIY footers under my current rack. It is shocking how much difference a footer can make. Maybe its more evident on my solid wood rack.
I would rather they not be required.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don't have experience with either rack, so I can't really comment. I have used Symposium shelves and roller blocks in the past. I really like the shelves, the roller blocks were more mixed, certainly better resolution, but felt a tipping up of tonal characteristics.

I do want to say a good rack, what ever the brand, is one of the more important investments I've made. Highly recommend you continue down the path you're on. And welcome to WBF!

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
Do you find that there is a lot of movement in the rack because of the roller blocks between shelves? Is that unsettling at all?

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Do you find that there is a lot of movement in the rack because of the roller blocks between shelves? Is that unsettling at all?
No it is not unsettling....it does require you to pay attention to leveling the rack feet to have a solid level first base of shelves...but once that is done you will be comfortable with the physics of the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: dandylinpsst

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
Thanks. i followed the link to the photo, and it looks like you have the Osiris Ultra. Did you consider the Ultimate Stealth with the solid copper legs? Seems a bit expensive but comparable in cost to HRS. Any thoughts on the incremental differences in effect on sound performance — other than the obvious increasing cost to benefit ratio? Did you consider HRS?

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Thanks. i followed the link to the photo, and it looks like you have the Osiris Ultra. Did you consider the Ultimate Stealth with the solid copper legs? Seems a bit expensive but comparable in cost to HRS. Any thoughts on the incremental differences in effect on sound performance — other than the obvious increasing cost to benefit ratio? Did you consider HRS?
I don't have personal experience with the Ultimate Stealth and the solid copper legs. I have read up on HRS but have no experience. If I had the cash in hindsight I might have done the upgrade because I was kinda blown away with the difference my rack made. I thought it was a silly purchase when it was recommended to me. I was totally wrong. My next upgrade is Symposium 2+ rollerblocks for the components. I encourage you to just call Peter at Symposium. He is not a sales guy.... he is a technician that knows solutions that work.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
Just to balance things out a little, I owned a Symposium Foundation Ultra rack, but not for long. I've heard systems on an Artesania rack at a local dealer, and whilst it's near impossible to know what's driving the sonic result, Artesania would be my choice of these 2 racks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing