Real Estate: Castles in Europe

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There's no whys or wherefores on this. Often it's to do with an architectural style or appreciated building construction.

So, barns in the UK countryside that were used agriculturally to store hay or grain, animals etc, back in the Industrial Revolution and after, often have architectural merit in roof structure, and are Grade 2 or even 1A listed.

Ecclesiastical buildings like churches and cathedrals too, and castles. Many industrial buildings of great design interest or even use of building materials are often deemed vital, and thus Listed.

In our case, there are/were so many of these Methodist chapels of which we've bought a fantastic example, but deemed "not of interest/merit", and thus not Listed. Some snobbery here, Methodism was not revered in the same way as Angicanism (Church Of England), and thus chapels were not protected as churches have been.

Of course the irony is that planning permission to acquire change of use on planning of Listed churches from place of worship to domestic residence is very hard to get, and these churches fall into disrepair. Barns much more positive.

And that's the reason we now live in a Non Listed chapel. Already converted, although needing total renovation, and not handcuffed/made bankrupt by the suffocating obligations.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
You can choose a small castle, you find a lot in France. Nobody need a big one . Big castle may be good for hotel... I love going to castel /hotel.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"When you look long into a castle, the castle looks into you"
F. Nietzsche, bankrupt and destitute former castle owner and busking philosopher

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Truly beautiful design and surroundings.. looks like something from a Disney movie set.. I would prefer being away from any metro area.. I think you should get it, fly us all out for a week and let us help you break it in properly..!

Reactions: thomask

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Well, in that case they both found what they were looking for. You could also add Colourfield to the castles in the air enthusiasts.
Good day to you, I had to look that group up.. I will see if I can locate their version online..

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
castleist.com has listings too. Amazingly low prices on some, I'm guessing because there is no working plumbing, HVAC, etc., might still have the plague from the 14th c. in the loo pit ;)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
castleist.com has listings too. Amazingly low prices on some, I'm guessing because there is no working plumbing, HVAC, etc., might still have the plague from the 14th c. in the loo pit ;)

The consensus, above, is that buying these things is the least expensive step.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Exactly. I hardly believe it is true, but I once heard from a real estate guy in France that sometimes you can even get a castle for a symbolic Euro in the Loire river region provided you take a full responsibility for the renovation and maintenance for at least 25 years, but then you find yourself in a rabbit hole situation.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
But they will respond very favorably to the idea of changing the floor plan because of better dimensions for a „listening room“ - not
The drawing room is perfect for a listening room

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
That is very interesting Marc, thank you.

Does the Grade 1 listing also mean that, without changing walls or tearing anything down or replacing windows or doors, the purchaser cannot add drywall or soffits or a dropped ceiling to run HVAC ducting? Or replace plumbing fixtures, bathrooms and kitchen appliances?
You don't need air conditioning in England Ron. It's completely superfluous.
Does it say how much renovation is required?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing