Record Brushes

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
IMO, vinyl deserves the very best of care. It sounds better, lasts longer and excels when properly cleaned and cared for. I‘ve received some new toys to help in this caring process.

Previously I used an AudioQuest brush. I wasn’t satisfied. I then used a Levin Design brush, and it did a good job, but I still occasionally received some snap, crackle, pops on some records. But it is still a good brush.

Today, I used the Furutech DeStat III before placing the record on the table. IMO, this is an excellent device and well worth the investment ($329). I then cleaned the record with a Ramar Berlin brush ($350). IMO this is a rather extraordinary brush. Carbon and goat hair. It cleaned the record flawlessly. I cleaned the Opus1 with a DS Audio ST-50 ($80; I also use Mr. Clean on occasion, but not today).

This 45 (and many other records) sounded flawless to my ear. There was only silence thru the entire play; absolute silence. Only the music came forth. I was floored.

This process works for me:

(1) Use a Furutech Destat III twice - off and away from the TT. IMO, this works better than a plasma lighter.
(2) Use a Ramar Berlin brush on the record. One or two passes should be adequate.
(3) Use a DS Audio ST-50 or a Mr Clean sponge on the cart.

IMO you will hear vinyl like you’ve never heard it before.

6BD97811-E977-448E-81F3-DE0B54BA03C7.jpeg 6CF096A4-B0FD-41A8-9FED-42EE43F9B7C5.jpeg D5511C5D-F582-441C-9925-B2C15D99BC37.jpeg 8F884FDE-9FAE-41F8-B65C-0B8F7404C7F3.jpeg

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Audire, did you take notice of my question I asked you ?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Ok, all good !

So, what do you use in turn to clean the brush ?

I use to use my pants leg. But now before playing, I clean my hands with filtered facet water. Then I clean my hands with distilled water. Just enough to wet and rinse them. I do this before each record. This means less minerals on my hands which may cause contamination.

Then, while away from the TT, I gently wipe the brush across my hand which has a clean microfiber cloth on it. When I flip the record I use the other side of the cloth. I hold the cloth in place on my hand by using some thumb pressure. I have several of these cloths - some new ones are pictured below. Of course the cloths are then washed and stored in a sealed sandwich bag.

I’m open if you have another method?

65D9F1AC-4CC1-4966-87C4-37F2B9F97F43.jpeg

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I use to use my pants leg. But now before playing, I clean my hands with filtered facet water. Then I clean my hands with distilled water. Just enough to wet and rinse them. I do this before each record. This means less minerals on my hands which may cause contamination.

Then, while away from the TT, I gently wipe the brush across my hand which has a clean microfiber cloth on it. When I flip the record I use the other side of the cloth. I hold the cloth in place on my hand by using some thumb pressure. I have several of these cloths - some new ones are pictured below. Of course the cloths are then washed and stored in a sealed sandwich bag.

I’m open if you have another method?

View attachment 88270

Holly Molly, I assume you are a heart surgeon in real life !

BTW, according to your bubble levels you're a bit off ! :eek:

all in good fun !!

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Holly Molly, I assume you are a heart surgeon in real life !

BTW, according to your bubble levels you're a bit off ! :eek:

all in good fun !!

:D No not a surgeon, nor do I play one on TV. Just trying to be careful. Perhaps a little obsessive.

Notice that both levels are off in different ways. One at about 7 o’clock and the other about 4 o’clock.The blue one is sitting upon a Onzow - w/ a dome top (which I rarely use). The yellow one is sitting on unleveled foam ... The Record Rack has adjustable legs and is level. And the TT is level. All fun in level land.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: twitch

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Do my eyes deceive me? Is this a Goldmund Reference that had the 3TF arm removed and replaced by the Kuzma straight arm? And what is that other thing to the left of the center spindle?
Yes thats correct Marty , Ive owned it now for 30 yrs and still learning from what it can do, the Table sings like never before, with the airline. The T3f is just in its rightful place, Boxed up! on the left is a rather powerful rechargeable blower, very effective and used daily. The brush is a Hunt EDA MK6.

Reactions: marty

mhconley

Feb 10, 2020
SWFL
In the past I've used Staticmaster brushes but they've gotten very spendy. I first used them in early 1980's when I discovered them using large format process cameras. I now use the Audioquest brush and it seems to work very well. I also use canned air.

Martin

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Do my eyes deceive me? Is this a Goldmund Reference that had the 3TF arm removed and replaced by the Kuzma straight arm? And what is that other thing to the left of the center spindle?
Rechargeable air gun. I use the same one.

Reactions: matakana

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
1642919528910.jpeg
I’ve got this baby on order. A fantastic deal at 300k! …. I’ll need to hire a driver, but it makes a damn fine espresso too… records will be so clean, they’ll flat out disappear…

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
IMO, vinyl deserves the very best of care. It sounds better, lasts longer and excels when properly cleaned and cared for. I‘ve received some new toys to help in this caring process.

Previously I used an AudioQuest brush. I wasn’t satisfied. I then used a Levin Design brush, and it did a good job, but I still occasionally received some snap, crackle, pops on some records. But it is still a good brush.

Today, I used the Furutech DeStat III before placing the record on the table. IMO, this is an excellent device and well worth the investment ($329). I then cleaned the record with a Ramar Berlin brush ($350). IMO this is a rather extraordinary brush. Carbon and goat hair. It cleaned the record flawlessly. I cleaned the Opus1 with a DS Audio ST-50 ($80; I also use Mr. Clean on occasion, but not today).

This 45 (and many other records) sounded flawless to my ear. There was only silence thru the entire play; absolute silence. Only the music came forth. I was floored.

This process works for me:

(1) Use a Furutech Destat III twice - off and away from the TT. IMO, this works better than a plasma lighter.
(2) Use a Ramar Berlin brush on the record. One or two passes should be adequate.
(3) Use a DS Audio ST-50 or a Mr Clean sponge on the cart.

IMO you will hear vinyl like you’ve never heard it before.

View attachment 88265 View attachment 88266 View attachment 88267 View attachment 88268

Do you clean your records prior with a RCM or Ultrasonic record cleaner?
No need for anti static unit in my setup if you do.

I barely use any of my brushes as the vinyl is clean and spotless from the US cleaner.

Be careful with the gel cleaners as they all put gunk onto the stylus than remove.
I use a small brush with Lyra SPT.

YMMV

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Do you clean your records prior with a RCM or Ultrasonic record cleaner?
No need for anti static unit in my setup if you do.

I barely use any of my brushes as the vinyl is clean and spotless from the US cleaner.

Be careful with the gel cleaners as they all put gunk onto the stylus than remove.
I use a small brush with Lyra SPT.

YMMV

Thanks. I presently use a Degritter (ultrasonic) to clean my records with. I only use Distilled Water - absolutely no chemicals.

Then I use a Furutech Destat III on the record (before placing it on the table) and then a Ramar Berlin Brush (while record is on the table) to remove any dust, etc. just before playing ...

On our carts I use a DS- Audio ST-50 cleaner and occasionally Mr Clean.

Our records sound excellent using this process.

CoGT3

Dec 1, 2020
I apologize for the bringing this back to life but I was wondering if anyone had anymore to say about the Ramar brush now that some time has marched along. I am most curious how everyone thinks it works compared to your previous brushes? Have you used the included stylus brush? Is it holding up to regular use?

I have a birthday coming up and my wife is looking for gifts ideas more “special” than my usual request of a stack of new records. I understand this a very expensive record brush but if it truly works better than the competition I may give it a run. I will admit the magnetically attached stylus brush and lid is a very nice touch to keep everything together and clean (one of my cats love sitting next to me for late night listening).

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I apologize for the bringing this back to life but I was wondering if anyone had anymore to say about the Ramar brush now that some time has marched along. I am most curious how everyone thinks it works compared to your previous brushes? Have you used the included stylus brush? Is it holding up to regular use?

I have a birthday coming up and my wife is looking for gifts ideas more “special” than my usual request of a stack of new records. I understand this a very expensive record brush but if it truly works better than the competition I may give it a run. I will admit the magnetically attached stylus brush and lid is a very nice touch to keep everything together and clean (one of my cats love sitting next to me for late night listening).

Ours is working great - better than the other brush that we‘ve tried. Though I clean my records (Degritter) we have a lot of dust in the FL Panhandle. The Ramar works great on the dust and though I use a Furutech DeStat the brush helps with the static as well. We’re very happy with the purchase - better than the reviews IMO.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Excellent

CoGT3

Dec 1, 2020
Thank you for your quick respons! Have sent the misses the link to Ramar.Berlin. Now to save up some of those pennies for a Digritter (between Tone Poet, BN classic, AP Prestige reprints, and AP Contempary releases it’s been hard for all the right reasons).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing