Record Cleaning Machines

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
We've responded to Analog Planet's review, which I'll paste below. We've also posted testing photos here, which provides one method customers can use to validate the cleaning safety of our product. Hopefully this will minimize some of the speculation.

Tim

thanks Tim.

i will add that i've cleaned over 100 Lps so far with the Klaudio RCM and there has been zero issues with any degradation of any pressings. the machine has worked flawlessly and i could not be more happy.

the Klaudio makes listening to vinyl so easy and allows me to clean vinyl as i listen so my tt always sees perfectly clean surfaces.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Aside from Mike Fremer's speculation about 'particle bombardment,' he didn't point to any discernable difference in sound quality between the two machines. He did imply that the AD's filter gave him some additional comfort, but I think his comments were largely speculation.
I can see the value in the KL in that it appears to be a far simpler machine, operationally, with less potential for failure. I haven't tried one yet, but I like the overbuilt quality of the thing. And, I'm an AD owner. :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm glad for the reassurance Tim. I buy very few re-issues as I prefer first pressings. So, it was with a lot of trepidation that I bought it. A re-issue can be easily replaced, but an LP in NM condition from the late 1950's cannot if it gets damaged.

I used it to clean my 1958 copy of Ros on Broadway, and it sounds really wonderful. No issues with blunting the dynamics of this superb album. I'm sure Ki Choi can attest to this as he listened to my second copy of the London US pressing of the album yesterday. Today, I also cleaned my first copy. Tomorrow, I'll clean my UK pressing.

Ros on Broadway - London.jpg

Klaudio

Jul 16, 2013
www.klaudio.com
I agree that cleaning quality might be the hardest factor to quantify. We have some methods in mind, but we'd prefer to have 3rd-parties post their reviews first. If an experienced ear doesn't discern much of a difference, that's perfectly fine. We still maintain there are several other features favoring our unit. :)

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm glad for the reassurance Tim. I buy very few re-issues as I prefer first pressings. So, it was with a lot of trepidation that I bought it. A re-issue can be easily replaced, but an LP in NM condition from the late 1950's cannot if it gets damaged.

I used it to clean my 1958 copy of Ros on Broadway, and it sounds really wonderful. No issues with blunting the dynamics of this superb album. I'm sure Ki Choi can attest to this as he listened to my second copy of the London US pressing of the album yesterday. Today, I also cleaned my first copy. Tomorrow, I'll clean my UK pressing.

View attachment 11675

I am in the same boat- have been buying some hard to get vintage records in minty condition- first press UK Vertigos, Island pink labels, various old test pressings and WLPs of records that would be extremely expensive or hard to replace. I easily have 10,000 records that I have aggregated over the course of more than 4 decades, some of which are pretty valuable, or rare.
Leaving aside speculation about what ultrasonic might do-- and I was comfortable enough with that to take the leap, given the effectiveness of the cleaning process and convenience- the key, I think, is field reliability and responsiveness to customers. Neither product is cheap-- so it is presumably going to be used by folks who are pretty serious about their vinyl record collections. I look forward to Myles' review.

Last edited:

Klaudio

Jul 16, 2013
www.klaudio.com

The only recommendation I would give is not to place a disc in the cleaner that shows any signs of cracking. I suspect this is true for all ultrasonic cleaners, but there can be a higher risk of exacerbating damage if already present on the LP.

Tim

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Here's a new audio desk observation. When I look into the tank, with the lights out one can see a red, then purple light flashing on then off during the clean cycle. Having just looked into the tank recently, I only see a red light. No longer does it cycle to the purple light. Burnt out bulb, or are there two different ultrasonic power levels going on one for the red light, one for the purple...Hmmmm ?

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Visit to the Factory- Sept 2013

Here is a little video from the factory that I shot this morning(9/12/13). There are a few seconds at the beginning of the video that show the innards of this incredible machine.

http://youtu.be/MndRAIqvbTE part I

http://youtu.be/SP3mzyx1TSQ part II

http://youtu.be/WXiUft52-14 part III shot with iPhone - mostly WE horn and WE 555 field coil replica and other super cool triode stuff.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The only recommendation I would give is not to place a disc in the cleaner that shows any signs of cracking. I suspect this is true for all ultrasonic cleaners, but there can be a higher risk of exacerbating damage if already present on the LP.

Tim

Klaudio,

Can you explain the reasoning behind not having a filter for the water? Or do you really expect users to replace all the water in the reservoir after every couple of cleanings?

alexandre

Klaudio

Jul 16, 2013
www.klaudio.com
Klaudio,

Can you explain the reasoning behind not having a filter for the water? Or do you really expect users to replace all the water in the reservoir after every couple of cleanings?

alexandre

Our design favors changing water to changing filters, but you don't need to do this after each LP. Every 100 discs could be a guideline. It depends how dirty they are. We have a large window in front with LED lighting in the reservoir, so it's easy to check for debris. We've cleaned several hundred LP's on the same water for months at a time to simulate heavier usage. The discs still come out fine, even when you can clearly see sediment floating behind the reservoir window.

Only the lightest debris is carried in the water, which is of no consequence to the disc or cleaning process (typical skin flakes, cardboard fibers, etc.). Anything that might stick to the LP is blown off during the drying process. Heavier sediment settles to the bottom of the reservoir, and the reservoir isn't completely emptied by the priming pump during cycles so it tends to stay there.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tim,

Do you manufacture a 230V/50Hz version of your LP cleaning machine?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I've cleaned more than 25 records with my KL with no visible debris in the water so far.

Bruce in PA

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Adding my thumbs up for the Klaudio.

I said to Gary this morning. "Okay... new record cleaner. Show me how to use it."
His response. "Drop the record in the slot."
Me: "Ohhhkay... what button do I press to get it to start? Any cleaning levels?" (Can't be that easy, right??)
Him: "Nope. It's fully automatic and it beeps to let you know it's done."
I take an album out and drop it in. It starts by it self.
Me: "I think I'm in love."

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Our design favors changing water to changing filters, but you don't need to do this after each LP. Every 100 discs could be a guideline. It depends how dirty they are. We have a large window in front with LED lighting in the reservoir, so it's easy to check for debris. We've cleaned several hundred LP's on the same water for months at a time to simulate heavier usage. The discs still come out fine, even when you can clearly see sediment floating behind the reservoir window.

Only the lightest debris is carried in the water, which is of no consequence to the disc or cleaning process (typical skin flakes, cardboard fibers, etc.). Anything that might stick to the LP is blown off during the drying process. Heavier sediment settles to the bottom of the reservoir, and the reservoir isn't completely emptied by the priming pump during cycles so it tends to stay there.

Tim

Thanks. I wish it had a filter, though, for peace of mind... But I'll keep an open mind. I just found out we have a distributor here already, and he's going to get one out here soon...

alexandre

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Carol, when you install a disc (CD) inside a disc tray (or slot), and that you press "Play", are you still in love? :b

No... that's how it's always worked. Whereas cleaning records has always been a hands-on, manual, time consuming process. If I previously had to first prep the surface of the disc, add lubricant to the player, then hand crank it before it would play, being able to just pop a disc in the tray and press a button would make me fall in love. ;)

lakeallen

Jul 25, 2013
WA State
I own the Klaudio cleaner and it is fantastic. I auditioned both the AD and the Klaudio and choose the Klaudio based on cleaning results and ease/cost of use. I buy bulk purified water and change it after each cleaning. I do separate cleaning sessions for used/dirty records and new/cleaner records and change the water after every 10 with the dirty, used records. I also wipe out the tank when I change the water to remove any accumulated dirt. Again- very happy with this product and having met the folks at team Klaudio can say their customer service is great.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No... that's how it's always worked. Whereas cleaning records has always been a hands-on, manual, time consuming process. If I previously had to first prep the surface of the disc, add lubricant to the player, then hand crank it before it would play, being able to just pop a disc in the tray and press a button would make me fall in love. ;)

Yeah, I knew what you first meant. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing