Replacing Rubber Woofer Surround

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
At the risk of asking an unanswerable question: how long should i expect the rubber surrounds to last on the older brown 200 woofers? I'm generally OCD about inspecting these speakers which are now over 25 years old. I did think about rotating the bass drivers 180 degrees a few years ago, but there were no signs then of any surround sagging or tears ..... there still aren't. Any reason to replace the surrounds proactively?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It would depend on how much of a work-out your woofers would get. So, your mix of music and how loudly you play.

From some old drivers that were replaced, it isn't the rubber surround that would fail first - it's the spider. I have seen some of these brown woofers with surrounds that still look supple, but the spider was already fractured.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. Long ago I routed everything below 30 hz to a set of your subwoofers ..... mainly to try to reduce W&T on the 8" woofers. Presumably if the spiders were cracked I'd hear that?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing