Visit to Gryphon Audio Designs / Pendragon Review

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
That is very interesting. Thank you for reporting that, Gary. (And that explains why no photo of the Pendragons ever shows the woofer towers separated from the panels.)

I think sometimes the expensive and incredibly capable equipment people have is not properly optimized for the room, and the sonic results do not achieve all of which the components are capable. As amazing as your speakers are I truly think the "secret sauce" of Genesis is your expertise and experience in "dialing in" the speakers to the room.

Ron,

currently my room measures 13.32' wide x 16.65' long x 10' high and I have the Gryphon Mojo in my system. Due to some opportunities I just get the preamp and power Pandora and Mephisto, I know that currently the Mojo and my room are the weak link of my system, I'm providing a new room with far greater measures (22.6' wide x 31' long x 10.32' high) to the current room.

The new room will have 63m² of total area and 195m³ of volume. Taking into account these new measures and the fact that I like of the AMT tweeter of Mojo, would you have some speakers suggestion? My system is described in my signature.

This link has some pictures of my system before Mirage+Colosseum and Pandora+Mephisto:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...nn-Sleipner/page3&highlight=bergmann+sleipner

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
I actually rebuilt my room to suit my speakers..the room is often what stops you getting the best out of the speakers

I have heard the pendragons with matching amp at our local high end purveyor , quite a good room , but not perfect

My overall impression of that listening session in that room was that such visually imposing speakers did not have the scale and grandeur I was expecting.

Room is important - set-up is everything. This explains how different experiences people can have with the same speakers in different locations. Especially large dipoles.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Ron - do you see a move to Gryphon amplification accompanying any acquisition of the Pendragon? or do you reckon that a seperate question to be answered another day? ie one change at a time.

There would be an automatic move to at least partial Gryphon amplification by virtue of the Gryphon amplifiers built into the woofer towers. Flemming, who dismisses tube electronics categorically, seemed not to be too disturbed that I would want to drive the panels with my big VTLs, saying only that he respects Luke Manley and that the VTLs are relatively neutral and not traditionally "tubey"-sounding.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I have heard the pendragons with matching amp at our local high end purveyor , quite a good room , but not perfect

My overall impression of that listening session in that room was that such visually imposing speakers did not have the scale and grandeur I was expecting.

While researching the Pendragon prior to the audition I found your earlier post saying substantially the same thing as this post. As one of the few, if not the only, negative reports I found on the Pendragon your comment was quite in my mind.

Putting to one side the visual aspect, since I think that is mainly a function of what we are used to seeing, and I personally like visually imposing loudspeakers, I was quite conscious of your comment that the Pendragon did not project the scale and grandeur you were expecting.

For me the scale and grandeur characteristics are substantially, if not entirely, about vertical height and low frequency capability, with scale created more from vertical height and grandeur created from some combination of vertical height and low frequency capability. I hear similarly large and realistic scale and impressive grandeur from each of the very tallest speakers (Arrakis, Genesis, Pendragon) and I do not hear such scale and grandeur from any of the three-quarter height speakers (e.g., Wilson XLF) or half-height speakers (e.g., Rockport Altair).

I find scale and grandeur to be pretty proportional, in that I hear more scale and grandeur from the three-quarter height speakers than I do from the half-height speakers. This proportionality view, I think, is consistent with Lloyd's report on the scale of the big Wilsons versus the scale of the Arrakis and Genesis.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

currently my room measures 13.32' wide x 16.65' long x 10' high and I have the Gryphon Mojo in my system. Due to some opportunities I just get the preamp and power Pandora and Mephisto, I know that currently the Mojo and my room are the weak link of my system, I'm providing a new room with far greater measures (22.6' wide x 31' long x 10.32' high) to the current room.

The new room will have 63m² of total area and 195m³ of volume. Taking into account these new measures and the fact that I like of the AMT tweeter of Mojo, would you have some speakers suggestion? My system is described in my signature.

This link has some pictures of my system before Mirage+Colosseum and Pandora+Mephisto:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...nn-Sleipner/page3&highlight=bergmann+sleipner

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

With a room 22.6' wide x 31' long x 10.32' high I think you can utilize to excellent effect any speaker you like.

Since you already like and have Gryphon speakers you certainly should consider the Trident II and the Pantheon, both of which use the AMT tweeter.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
With a room 22.6' wide x 31' long x 10.32' high I think you can utilize to excellent effect any speaker you like.

Since you already like and have Gryphon speakers you certainly should consider the Trident II and the Pantheon, both of which use the AMT tweeter.

Thanks for your comments!

The Gryphon speakers would be the natural upgrade, but I'm looking at all possible competitors to try to make an evaluation. Most likely I can hear the Trident II in a few months.

Another speakers that I heard in Munich last year and really enjoyed was the Rockport Avior. I am very curious to hear the Altair 2 and Arrakis 2, but these speakers usually need monos, which is not my case.

The Sonus Faber Aida, for example, would not be my first choice, but they are also speakers that I have a great desire to listen with Pandora + Mephisto.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Altair II with subwoofers would be an amazing system. And the Arrakis is my favorite dynamic driver speaker.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for your comments!

The Gryphon speakers would be the natural upgrade, but I'm looking at all possible competitors to try to make an evaluation. Most likely I can hear the Trident II in a few months.

Another speakers that I heard in Munich last year and really enjoyed was the Rockport Avior. I am very curious to hear the Altair 2 and Arrakis 2, but these speakers usually need monos, which is not my case.

The Sonus Faber Aida, for example, would not be my first choice, but they are also speakers that I have a great desire to listen with Pandora + Mephisto.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

I have heard both the Altair 2 and Arrakis 2...i somehow believe quite strongly that your Mephisto will be more than up to the task of driving the Altairs. And, as Ron says, if you chose to add Gotham Subs or the like, that would be one amazing set up. The Arrakis 2 on the other probably does benefit from monos and most likely 2 sets of monos. If i ever went that direction, for me, i would probably drive 2 stereo Colosseums. In your case, you could consider another Mephisto?

I am aware of one Arrakis 2 owner who found that in his (60' long x 30' wide room) the extra amps really made a huge difference, but he wondered in smaller rooms if would have required it. (in fact, i am told he did not start out with dual monos, and only after finding in that room he could not bring 'full majesty' did he find the additional amplification made that significant improvement.)

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
I have heard both the Altair 2 and Arrakis 2...i somehow believe quite strongly that your Mephisto will be more than up to the task of driving the Altairs. And, as Ron says, if you chose to add Gotham Subs or the like, that would be one amazing set up. The Arrakis 2 on the other probably does benefit from monos and most likely 2 sets of monos. If i ever went that direction, for me, i would probably drive 2 stereo Colosseums. In your case, you could consider another Mephisto?

I am aware of one Arrakis 2 owner who found that in his (60' long x 30' wide room) the extra amps really made a huge difference, but he wondered in smaller rooms if would have required it. (in fact, i am told he did not start out with dual monos, and only after finding in that room he could not bring 'full majesty' did he find the additional amplification made that significant improvement.)

Hi Lloyd,

at this time another Mephisto stereo and add subs not would be my way, so I would know of you some other speakers that were appropriate to Mephisto stereo.

What are you thinking about WA on your system?

Best regards,
Ricardo.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There's another 4 tower speaker in the market that might interest you too, the VSA 111, this system belongs to a fellow WBF member .

Made in California

If we're mentioning the mega four column systems, don't forget the Nola Grand Reference IV and MBL Xtremes. You might even love a used set of Martin-Logan Statement e2.

NOLA Grand Reference IV

MBL Xtreme

With regard to breathing room, while ceiling height will give breathing room, LISTENING DISTANCE from the speakers is also needed to have a sense of realism. If you are sitting too close, the listening experience becomes one of listening to the speakers and not the music.

Last edited:

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
The Altair II with subwoofers would be an amazing system. And the Arrakis is my favorite dynamic driver speaker.

Ron,

thank you again! ;)

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the suggestions.

I have looked high and low and I have not found Statement E2s for sale.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thank you for the suggestions.

I have looked high and low and I have not found Statement E2s for sale.

I guess people who have them aren't letting them go!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Excellent OP, Ron. You have had quite a journey listening to these super speaker systems. I am curious about your question to me and to Al M. in the Rossini audition thread about the meaning of "Presence" in an audio system. I also just saw your Glosary thread defining the term. Given your interest in small scale female vocal performances, I would think the notion of "presence" would be first and foremost in what you listen for in these very large scale speaker systems. The issue of scale is related to presence and is one that Al M. and I have discussed for a while and we have found that it is very difficult for a large speaker system to accurately reproduce both large scale symphonic works and much smaller intimate solo performances, equally convincingly. The Magico M Pro speaker can do it, though perhaps not to the same grand scale as a four tower speaker system. I'm sure other speakers can also, but we have not heard it often, which, aside from our small listening rooms, is one reason we both have two-way monitor speakers. We understand they have limitations also when it comes to reproducing large scale music, but given our interest in chamber music, we prefer smaller speakers.

Could you discuss what you heard in terms of presence, as I describe the notion, with these large speaker systems that you have auditioned recently and in particular how successful they are in reproducing both large and small scale performances with equal degrees of presence, and believability?

We all have different priorities and listen for different things when auditioning audio systems. You seem to value transparency and resolution, and perhaps scale, above other sonic attributes, based on this series of reviews and your fondness for panel designs. My priorities have shifted, or became more focused, after meeting Jim Smith, and I now tend to prioritize the three attributes which he finds most critical to a successful system: Tone, Dynamics and Presence. For me, and I think Jim, resolution and transparency are less critical to emotional involvement and enjoyment, though they are certainly important and essential qualities if one is striving for better and better reproduction and state of the art playback. Resolution and transparency, in part due to noise reduction, is what we seem to get with most components as they get better and more expensive. With speakers we seem to get improvements in scale and extension. In the end, these are just descriptors, but they are necessary to convey meaning as we try to discuss and share our thoughts about audio.

Am I correct in assuming these are the things that you prioritize and focused on when auditioning these systems? And if so, are they what you find critical to get you involved with your favorite music? I am trying to better understand what you want at the end of the day when you have finished reconstructing your room and assembled the incredible Basis Work of Art turntable, super cartridge and arm, and one of these huge speaker systems.

I am really enjoying reading about your process and what will surely be a truly SOTA system. Thank you for bringing us along on the ride.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Given your interest in small scale female vocal performances, I would think the notion of "presence" would be first and foremost in what you listen for in these very large scale speaker systems. The issue of scale is related to presence and is one that Al M. and I have discussed for a while and we have found that it is very difficult for a large speaker system to accurately reproduce both large scale symphonic works and much smaller intimate solo performances, equally convincingly. . . . I'm sure other speakers can also, but we have not heard it often, which, aside from our small listening rooms, is one reason we both have two-way monitor speakers. We understand they have limitations also when it comes to reproducing large scale music, but given our interest in chamber music, we prefer smaller speakers.

Could you discuss what you heard in terms of presence, as I describe the notion, with these large speaker systems that you have auditioned recently and in particular how successful they are in reproducing both large and small scale performances with equal degrees of presence, and believability?

. . . You seem to value transparency and resolution, and perhaps scale, above other sonic attributes, based on this series of reviews and your fondness for panel designs. My priorities have shifted, or became more focused, after meeting Jim Smith, and I now tend to prioritize the three attributes which he finds most critical to a successful system: Tone, Dynamics and Presence. For me, and I think Jim, resolution and transparency are less critical to emotional involvement and enjoyment, though they are certainly important and essential qualities if one is striving for better and better reproduction and state of the art playback. Resolution and transparency, in part due to noise reduction, is what we seem to get with most components as they get better and more expensive. With speakers we seem to get improvements in scale and extension. . . .

Am I correct in assuming these are the things that you prioritize and focused on when auditioning these systems? And if so, are they what you find critical to get you involved with your favorite music? I am trying to better understand what you want at the end of the day when you have finished reconstructing your room and assembled the incredible Basis Work of Art turntable, super cartridge and arm, and one of these huge speaker systems. . . .

When listening to these systems I tended to focus (in no particular order) on tonal balance, transparency, scale, low frequency capability, and dynamics. I think some of what I mean by transparency overlaps with some of what you mean by presence.

I cannot comment on whether the systems recreated large and small scale performances with equal degrees of presence and believability, because we did not listen to any large scale performances. (I take as a given that the large speaker systems will sound good reproducing large scale performances.)

Because my primary interest is vocals I feel I am on the lookout primarily as to whether these large speaker systems recreate small scale performances in a believable way.

I do not feel comfortable comparing these systems to small speakers and mini-monitors because I do not have experience with mini-monitors. I just do not know what mini-monitors sound like or what kind of "stage" they recreate. My whole prior experience has been with big, open, dipoles. The Wilson Alexia is the smallest speaker with which I am quite familiar.

So a logical follow-up is "if you care primarily about small vocal performances why do you want big speakers?" I think my answer goes back to your definition of presence: ". . . A system which has presence has the ability to fill the room and surround the listener . . ." I think the ability of the large speakers to recreate scale generates the true-to-life-size "stage" on which the small scale vocal performances can believably occur.

Each of the large systems I auditioned can create a believable and large scale stage. Having achieved that scale (along with transparency, dynamics and low frequency capability) I then listen for how believable is the recreation of the original small scale performance on that large scale stage.

I agree that with larger size and more expensive speakers we get improvements in scale and extension. Your point is that those improvements are not unambiguously good if the focus is on small scale performances. I will know a lot more when I come to visit you and Al!

What do you feel gets lost when a large system recreates a small scale performance?

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Ron

I have to tell you Ron that not only did I love reading your review but for me and most of the hobbyists here these are the types of threads that I love to read. You have exceptional writing and communication skills for which I laud you. Looking forward to seeing you again next week. Have a safe flight home.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

at this time another Mephisto stereo and add subs not would be my way, so I would know of you some other speakers that were appropriate to Mephisto stereo.

What are you thinking about WA on your system?

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Hi Ricardo,

For me, i am very happy with my X1s and Velodyne DD18+ (plays on below 40hz). However, if i did not own the X1s, the Altair would probably be a fantastic choice. And the ultimate would have to include Genesis 1.2, Arrakis and now it appears Pendragon for audition. I cannot think of any other speakers i would prefer over my current speakers.

You could certainly easily drive a big Wilson with your Mephisto...easily.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron

I have to tell you Ron that not only did I love reading your review but for me and most of the hobbyists here these are the types of threads that I love to read. You have exceptional writing and communication skills for which I laud you. Looking forward to seeing you again next week. Have a safe flight home.

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am totally delighted that you like the review and the thread!

I am looking forward to seeing you next week. I am very excited to compare the two tonearm/cartridge combinations!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
When listening to these systems I tended to focus (in no particular order) on tonal balance, transparency, scale, low frequency capability, and dynamics. I think some of what I mean by transparency overlaps with some of what you mean by presence.

I cannot comment on whether the systems recreated large and small scale performances with equal degrees of presence and believability, because we did not listen to any large scale performances. (I take as a given that the large speaker systems will sound good reproducing large scale performances.)

Because my primary interest is vocals I feel I am on the lookout primarily as to whether these large speaker systems recreate small scale performances in a believable way.

I do not feel comfortable comparing these systems to small speakers and mini-monitors because I do not have experience with mini-monitors. I just do not know what mini-monitors sound like or what kind of "stage" they recreate. My whole prior experience has been with big, open, dipoles. The Wilson Alexia is the smallest speaker with which I am quite familiar.

So a logical follow-up is "if you care primarily about small vocal performances why do you want big speakers?" I think my answer goes back to your definition of presence: ". . . A system which has presence has the ability to fill the room and surround the listener . . ." I think the ability of the large speakers to recreate scale generates the true-to-life-size "stage" on which the small scale vocal performances can believably occur.

Each of the large systems I auditioned can create a believable and large scale stage. Having achieved that scale (along with transparency, dynamics and low frequency capability) I then listen for how believable is the recreation of the original small scale performance on that large scale stage.

I agree that with larger size and more expensive speakers we get improvements in scale and extension. Your point is that those improvements are not unambiguously good if the focus is on small scale performances. I will know a lot more when I come to visit you and Al!

What do you feel gets lost when a large system recreates a small scale performance?

Thanks Ron. That answers my questions and the first statement in bold in particular. I agree, I think what I describe as presence is in part covered by your understanding of transparency.

However, your second statement in bold leads me to think that I may not have been clear enough in my explanation regarding scale and speaker size. All else being equal, and given the budget and an appropriate room, I would prefer a large scale speaker system because the really good ones must be less compromised than even the best small mini monitors. Having said that though, the large scale speakers that I have heard have not reproduced large scale music AND small scale music in equally convincing ways.

The small speakers, mine included, break down and simply can't move the air, don't have the extension and can't scale up to do symphonic music. That is clear, and my system has that fault. However, the large speakers that I have heard, Nola four tower Grand Reference?, the Magico Q7, the Wilson XLF, and some others, when I have heard them, have not been able to convincingly also reproduce the solo singer or cello. The instrument or voice simply sounds too big to be believable. I have heard solo cello many times live, right in front of me, and it almost always seems to big from large speakers. I don't know why this is the case, but I suspect it has something to do with the driver heights, the rooms/set up or something else. Perhaps I was just unlucky in those demos. The other issue is that these large speakers have not disappeared as sound sources like really good and properly set up smaller speakers can in my experience.

The one exception that I have heard is MadFloyd's Magico M Project. I was astonished at how effortlessly, and effectively, it can switch from large scale to small scale and make the full symphony or solo violin sound equally convincing in both scale, image and Presence. That is a first for me and it was thrilling.

I am intrigued by your comment that big speakers are required to fill the room and create a soundstage big enough to give the illusion of a life like setting. I understand that and appreciate the idea. I can see a large speaker system in a large room present a more accurate stage in terms of scale than a small speaker can, but I have not heard those same large speakers convincingly present the solo violin at the right image size. IME, that violin has always been too big, except for with the M Project. If the systems which you have auditioned recently can do that, then I believe you and I would love to hear such a presentation. Mike L has written that his system can do this and I have to believe him.

So, to answer your last question: The thing that most gets lost when the large systems that I have heard try to play a small scale performance is simply that: a believable recreation of the proper scale, size and image of the solo instrument or voice. I just lose interest when a singer's head or violin is three feet wide or seven feet in the air. I can no longer suspend my disbelief, as they say.

And I don't think that small speakers are incapable of filling a room. In my experience, a small speaker, if properly designed, driven and set up, can easily fill a small room and create that sense of presence and appropriate scale. It just can't do it in a very large space or with large scale music.

Your explanation of the large speaker being needed to create a realistic sized soundstage even for a small scale performance is excellent, and now I better understand why you are focussing on these large scale speaker systems. It makes be realize that I need more exposure to these four tower systems, even if they just make be aware of what is possible and I never am fortunate enough to own one.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Excellent OP, Ron. You have had quite a journey listening to these super speaker systems. I am curious about your question to me and to Al M. in the Rossini audition thread about the meaning of "Presence" in an audio system. I also just saw your Glosary thread defining the term. Given your interest in small scale female vocal performances, I would think the notion of "presence" would be first and foremost in what you listen for in these very large scale speaker systems. The issue of scale is related to presence and is one that Al M. and I have discussed for a while and we have found that it is very difficult for a large speaker system to accurately reproduce both large scale symphonic works and much smaller intimate solo performances, equally convincingly. The Magico M Pro speaker can do it, though perhaps not to the same grand scale as a four tower speaker system. I'm sure other speakers can also, but we have not heard it often, which, aside from our small listening rooms, is one reason we both have two-way monitor speakers. We understand they have limitations also when it comes to reproducing large scale music, but given our interest in chamber music, we prefer smaller speakers.

We all have different priorities and listen for different things when auditioning audio systems. You seem to value transparency and resolution, and perhaps scale, above other sonic attributes, based on this series of reviews and your fondness for panel designs. My priorities have shifted, or became more focused, after meeting Jim Smith, and I now tend to prioritize the three attributes which he finds most critical to a successful system: Tone, Dynamics and Presence. For me, and I think Jim, resolution and transparency are less critical to emotional involvement and enjoyment, though they are certainly important and essential qualities if one is striving for better and better reproduction and state of the art playback. Resolution and transparency, in part due to noise reduction, is what we seem to get with most components as they get better and more expensive. With speakers we seem to get improvements in scale and extension. In the end, these are just descriptors, but they are necessary to convey meaning as we try to discuss and share our thoughts about audio.

Am I correct in assuming these are the things that you prioritize and focused on when auditioning these systems? And if so, are they what you find critical to get you involved with your favorite music? I am trying to better understand what you want at the end of the day when you have finished reconstructing your room and assembled the incredible Basis Work of Art turntable, super cartridge and arm, and one of these huge speaker systems.

I am really enjoying reading about your process and what will surely be a truly SOTA system. Thank you for bringing us along on the ride.

Peter, you bring up some great points. The ability of large speakers in a large room to produce scale can be very impressive. I believe that a great system needs to do all of the above, plus re-create the intimacy of a small scale setting...and the precision that resolution brings to the equation. To add to that, i think it is VERY important that the large speaker does NOT do some things..those include: 1) portraying all instruments as if they are giant size facsimiles of their true self, 2) over-loading the room with too much low end response/bass; leading to bass boom and a 'shouty' presentation, and lastly 3)Not being too over bearing in their physical presence. If a speaker system can elicit all of the pluses above...and none of the minuses, I think one has a winner. IME, that is a VERY rare speaker in most hobbyists rooms ( due to the size limitation in our rooms that almost all of us are saddled with). Personally, as I said before, I believe that most of us are still trying to push too large a speaker into too small a space...and are perhaps willing to live with the compromises. Or, perhaps a lot of us are going to 'justify' those compromises once the speaker is placed....that would seem to me to be also very common place.;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing