Return to MBL

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Had the 116's for several years / 2013 to 2017. Retired and moved and wanted to downsize. Bought the Joseph Audio Pulsars and was very happy with the sound given its size. Have owned for some 3.5 years. Had no intention of buying a new speaker cause I'm a fairly old dude. Then a pair of MBL121's appeared on Audiogon. Couldn't resist. Will receive on Monday.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well done!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Congratulations ! :) Did you use your current amp with your last MBL's ?

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you all. Using the same amp / preamp. Room environment is on the "live" side like my previous living room. Same distance from back wall (60") but much more space from the side / front wall. Should sound amazing but we shall see.

Reactions: Lagonda

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Anyone here have experience with a 121 or 126 with a subwoofer?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congrats, MBLs are excellent speakers as you know. Enjoy!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Forgot how immersive and dimensional they are. Imaging a bit diffuse compared to my Pulsars but major improvements with size and space. Very happy with purchase. Thanks all for all the kudos.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Forgot how immersive and dimensional they are. Imaging a bit diffuse compared to my Pulsars but major improvements with size and space. Very happy with purchase. Thanks all for all the kudos.
That’s why we all love MBL.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Have only ever heard their amps/pre...someday will make sure to listen to their speakers which are amazing by many, many accounts.

How have you found the combination with your REL subs? Difficult/easy to setup? And soundwise what are the RELs bringing to your sound?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
They work quite well with my REL. The T7i is an amazing product for the dollar. Where the speakers and sub are is pretty much done. I could move but it would be very inconvenient given my living room layout and furnishings. If pin point imaging is a major priority, you may not like the MBL sound. The two top drivers (tweeter / midrange that look somewhat like a peeled orange) are omni directional. However, the way it energizes a room (and totally disappears) is quite unique.

Attachments

• MBL4.JPG
    MBL4.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 19
  • MBL1.JPG
    MBL1.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Congrats!
I use an REL 212SE in the front wall corner and seems to integrate well with my 101's.
Upgraded the power cord to an Audioquest Hurricane HC and Morrow Audio REL subwoofer cable.

System2021.jpg 212SE

Reactions: pclerc2

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Question about toe in. I tried toeing in last night and it seems to work like normal speakers. More dense, more center fill but less holographic side to side and back. Input please.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
In my photo above, I had them toed in where they hit my sitting position dead on with a laser pointer.
Since the, I backed them off about 50% to being straight.
Seems to be the best compromise for me so far..

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I prefer my MBL's with no toe-in, relatively close together. Toe-in gives you better center fill but limits the side imaging that MBL do so well somewhat. The front facing port also changes speaker/room integration in the bass range with toe-in, not using the built in 12 inch sub-driver has changed that somewhat, but now i have reflections from the rear-wave hitting the sub-towers to content with instead :rolleyes:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
So you disabled the sub driver in your 101's? I've tried with the port open and the port plugged. Plugged is definitely more open but somewhat less saturated with more diffuse imaging. Unplugged gives me a warmer more focused sound (more natural? sibilance and better envelope definition in female voices), better center fill but generally less open and dimensional.

Just checking to see if others have experienced this difference. I can make sub / toe in - toe out adjustments to make either sound good. As always, thanks for the input.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
So you disabled the sub driver in your 101's? I've tried with the port open and the port plugged. Plugged is definitely more open but somewhat less saturated with more diffuse imaging. Unplugged gives me a warmer more focused sound (more natural? sibilance and better envelope definition in female voices), better center fill but generally less open and dimensional.

Just checking to see if others have experienced this difference. I can make sub / toe in - toe out adjustments to make either sound good. As always, thanks for the input.
My 101's have the whole " melon" part radiating 360' down to 105 HZ, sound character is un-ported, the same as the bass-towers. But integrating at 105 HZ 24 db slope is very difficult, and requires similar amps and very precise phase settings. Sometimes getting the right crossover setting takes a little time, and suddenly the magic is there. :)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Still finding bass a bit bloated, unfocused and slow with port open. As a result, mids and highs seem a bit closed in. Sounds somewhat boring and uninvolving. May go back to closing port. Any suggestions? Hope you all are having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Still finding bass a bit bloated, unfocused and slow with port open. As a result, mids and highs seem a bit closed in. Sounds somewhat boring and uninvolving. May go back to closing port. Any suggestions? Hope you all are having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
Close the port, and try a higher crossover frequency on the subs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing