Rhapsody.Audio Listening Rooms

Rhapsody.Audio- Listening Rooms (RLRs)

Rhapsody.Audio would like to announce that within the next 3-4 months there will be multiple new locations where several of the product lines that Rhapsody.Audio represents will be available to audition via Rhapsody.Audio Listening Rooms (RLRs).

Initially, the RLR’s will have the products available for demonstration mentioned below. Upon opening, the DFW RLR will have a very similar product offering as that available at Rhapsody.Audio in Manhattan.

Over time, all locations will be expanding their portfolio to a comparable scale as that of NYC/DFW.

The RLRs will be available to host auditions by appointment. All product ordering and delivery logistics will be processed and supported from the Rhapsody.Audio NYC location.

Product assistance and installation will be supported by Rhapsody.Audio NYC along with the RLRs depending on customer location.

The RLR locations are:

Portland - Rhapsody.Audio RLR

Products available to audition (coming soon)

-Pilium

-Alsyvox

-Diesis

-Bayz Audio

Dallas/Fort Worth Rhapsody.Audio DFW

Products available to audition:

-Alsyvox

-Diesis

-Bayz Audio

-Pilium

-VYGER

-Kondo

-Taiko Audio

-VYDA

West Palm Beach & Miami (2 Florida locations) Rhapsody.Audio WPB/Miami

West Palm Beach will open initially. Miami will follow when the RLR is ready to host customers.

Products available to audition (initially):

-Alsyvox

-Pilium

-Aurender

-TelluriumQ

Chicago, IL Rhapsody.Audio Chicago

Products available to audition (initially):

-Alsyvox

-Pilium

-Aurender

-TelluriumQ

Long Island, NY Rhapsody.Audio Long Island

-Kondo

-Alsyvox

Dallas-RLR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So if anyone out there has 4, actually 8 each WE, United or Amperex 211's, hiding under the covers, as Chris, the Dallas RLR, who has Kaguras, currently running with NOS RCAs, also would like a set of 4 either PLEASE pm me. We need matched pairs, not necessarily matched quads but they need to test strong at 1000V.

I have a lead on 8 each nos Mullard GZ34's for my rectifiers but if anyone knows of a set of 8 GZ34''s also pm me.

It's not that finding 8 GZ34 NOS is a pita, it's just seems impossible to find, period. Same with the mentioned 211's, but of course they are out there somewhere.

My tech tests the 211s at 1000V, which a lot of people that test/sell tubes check them at 500 or 600 volts. That doesn't tell the story. I just returned 8 NOS RCAs after we tested them as 3 of the 4 were VERY weak when tested at 1000V....ugh.
I was wondering, Bob, although you have probably already reached out to them: does the Kondo factory not have access to some fine NOS tubes for you? I fully understand that they are not able to supply high quality NOS tubes on a regular basis, but for you maybe?

I was wondering, Bob, although you have probably already reached out to them: does the Kondo factory not have access to some fine NOS tubes for you? I fully understand that they are not able to supply high quality NOS tubes on a regular basis, but for you maybe?
I did that a long time ago. Charles, Maskaki san, Katsura san, all only use the tubes that they supply to their customers. That is why I never really tried the NOS tubes prior.

It is a dilemma as when I supply Kondo equipment it is always going to be provided with the stock Kondo tubes. So showing NOS whatever is not representative as to what the customer will receive. This is why I still keep the stock tubes, which I would insert/re-bias when I have a Kondo customer that is buying a particular amp.

Last edited:
I did that along time ago and they use the stock tubes that they supplied to customers only.
That is a pity both you and them I suppose. If the Kondo factory indeed only listens to their equipment with the stock tubes they supply to their customers, they have not heard how good their (pre)amps really are. Anyway, I will pm you with an address where you likely can find all the tubes you need for your Kondo amps, albeit that the prices are (very) high.

That is a pity both you and them I suppose. If the Kondo factory indeed only listens to their equipment with the stock tubes they supply to their customers, they have not heard how good their (pre)amps really are. Anyway, I will pm you with an address where you likely can find all the tubes you need for your Kondo amps, albeit that the prices are (very) high.
Yes, it is sort of a shame, but Kondo sells a LOT of gear and they need to focus on what they sell AND SUPPORT to their global customers. I understand how and why they operate in the way that they do.

Yes, it is sort of a shame, but Kondo sells a LOT of gear and they need to focus on what they sell AND SUPPORT to their global customers. I understand how and why they operate in the way that they do.
Yes, Iunderstand their policy completely but as you mentioned, it is (indeed) sort of a shame.

I would say and not mentioning tube mfg. names, but the tubes that were available for Kondo to supply, 211s specifically, were not very good sounding tubes until fairly recently. Kondo is now supplying the Kondo branded tubes from a different source than prior and they are not bad at all.

Of course the Kondo supplied tubes are still not at the level of NOS, GE/RCA/Amperex/WE/United. But other than GE, and RCA, which are still hard to find that test strong, the other more exotic variants are almost impossible to find.

The big issue that I see is if Kondo endorses people to hunt, find and insert NOS tubes, then that opens up customers to go on Ebay, buy junk tubes, put them in the amps and damage the amps. This happens. There are a LOT of unscrupulous NOS tube sellers out there.

If you can test the tubes prior to inserting them into amps then there are no issues, but there are very few techs/suppliers that test for instance 211's at operating voltages. They test that the tubes "light up" or more routinely test the 211s at say 600V. Then when you buy them and install them and supply 1200 volts to them all types of things can happen.

It's not in the cards for Kondo to ever offer NOS tubes in their equipment and therefore there is no purpose for them to work with NOS tubes in their amplification development.

My advice is that anyone that wants to use NOS tubes in Kondo gear in the US, please contact me. I have a 100% reliable testing facility at my disposal that can guarantee that the tubes will work properly at operating voltages. There is a charge to have the tubes tested, but it is worth it, prior to inserting them into expensive amplifiers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor
Bob, slightly OT, but my Nat 211 amps use GEs from 1948, I believe. Even these are becoming very hard to find. Do you have any view on new production 211s versus GEs etc?
I am aware Psvane and Linlai, as well as KR and Mayer/Elrog make these, but I'm absolutely unsure of any comparisons of GE to these.

I would say and not mentioning tube mfg. names, but the tubes that were available for Kondo to supply, 211s specifically, were not very good sounding tubes until fairly recently.
At the price of this and other SOTA tube gear, this is absurd. I know a NOS tube in my pre made a huge difference.

Bob, slightly OT, but my Nat 211 amps use GEs from 1948, I believe. Even these are becoming very hard to find. Do you have any view on new production 211s versus GEs etc?
I am aware Psvane and Linlai, as well as KR and Mayer/Elrog make these, but I'm absolutely unsure of any comparisons of GE to these.
No idea, especially in different amps. I have '42 GE's and RCA's. I am happy even with the GE's and at least you can somewhat find them. The RCAs and the rest of exotics are really hard to find, especially if you want them tested and know 100% they are strong.

No idea bout the Psvanne/Linlai would be interesting to hear them, but I doubt if they will be as good as the '40s GEs. I know most will say the GE's are not so great, but I really like the GE's and the fact you can find them makes them the "go to" 211s for me right now.

At the price of this and other SOTA tube gear, this is absurd. I know a NOS tube in my pre made a huge difference.
Yes, well you can't supply NOS tubes as they are all different and finding matched pairs is almost impossible. Especially when you are producing MANY amplifiers each year.

The reality is the current production tubes don't match the sound of NOS tubes. It is what it is. What would your recommendation be?

Reactions: thedudeabides

Justin and I did compares with his Ge, RCA, and Amperex to KR. Before that I did KR to Psvane.

Psvane < KR < GE/RCA <<< Amperex. I heard the United and and WE 242c are better than even the Amperex but haven't heard them myself. Don't know if Elrog are better than KR in modern ones.

Reactions: Rhapsody
No idea, especially in different amps. I have '42 GE's and RCA's. I am happy even with the GE's and at least you can somewhat find them. The RCAs and the rest of exotics are really hard to find, especially if you want them tested and know 100% they are strong.

No idea bout the Psvanne/Linlai would be interesting to hear them, but I doubt if they will be as good as the '40s GEs. I know most will say the GE's are not so great, but I really like the GE's and the fact you can find them makes them the "go to" 211s for me right now.
Sure Bob, the GEs certainly sound excellent as I listen right now.

I know Audio Note UK is producing (in cooperation) 211 tubes that are apparently very good. Have not heard those yet although I had contact with Peter Q about them. But I could understand, Bob, you would rather not employ those in Kondo amps given the Audio Note versus Kondo history.

Last edited:
I know Audio Note UK is producing (in cooperation) 211 tubes that are apparently very good. Have not heard those yet although I had contact with Peter Q about them. But I could understand, Bo, you would rather not employ those in Kondo amps given the Audio Note versus Kondo history.
Yes Rudolph, that is the last thing that I would be doing:)

Reactions: Scott Naylor
Yep, I fully understand. Elrog is also producing a special (and expensive) 211 valve but I have no idea how this 211 tube compares to the top notch NOS 211 valves.
It would be VERY interesting to hear the Elrogs and any new production, ANUK included, and see how the compare to the NOS.

I should add that there are probably a hundred+ Kondo users out there that use the stock Kondo tubes and live happily with their amplifiers and enjoy listening to music with their systems.

Buying NOS 211s at $700 - $1200 each from the 40's is not for the faint of heart!

Yes, well you can't supply NOS tubes as they are all different and finding matched pairs is almost impossible. Especially when you are producing MANY amplifiers each year.

The reality is the current production tubes don't match the sound of NOS tubes. It is what it is. What would your recommendation be?
Agreed. Do not have an answer other than EAT? Sounds like a business opportunity. I just find it ironic that you have this expensive, incredible gear that comes less than optimal from the factory. And congrats on your business plan. I wish you success.

Last edited:
Agreed. Do not have an answer other than EAT? Sounds like a business opportunity. I just find it ironic that you have this incredible gear that comes less than optimal from the factory. And congrats on your business plan.
Thx.

I get it on the tubes. It's a REAL dilemma. If the NOS stocks didn't exist then there would be no conversation to be had as the amps would sound good with the available stock tubes and that would be it. But the fact that they do "sort of exist" (if you can find them), makes it bittersweet.

I think for those that want the ultimate sound then they will seek out and find good NOS tubes. For all others they are fine with the stock tubes and still love their equipment with stock tubes as it can still make music sound pretty darn good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing