Rick Beato on why music is getting worse

Reactions: Rexp
One of Rick Beato's commentary is how streaming music has become completely passive, whereas in the past you needed to buy a record or cassette, or get a copy of a cassette from someone, then decide to put it on, with intention. This disposes you to hear music differently than having Spotify et al decide what your next track will be. Spotify is actively trying to make users be more passive, and make less choices. When a user is not choosing what to listen to Spotify can play tracks where they don't have to pay any royalties. In a way actively chosen music is a loss leader for Spotify.

Spotify: droppin' them fake beats

Spotify is putting out playlists full of AI-generated music without saying it’s AI-generated music (mmm money)

One of Rick Beato's commentary is how streaming music has become completely passive, whereas in the past you needed to buy a record or cassette, or get a copy of a cassette from someone, then decide to put it on, with intention. This disposes you to hear music differently than having Spotify et al decide what your next track will be. Spotify is actively trying to make users be more passive, and make less choices. When a user is not choosing what to listen to Spotify can play tracks where they don't have to pay any royalties. In a way actively chosen music is a loss leader for Spotify.

Spotify: droppin' them fake beats

Spotify is putting out playlists full of AI-generated music without saying it’s AI-generated music (mmm money)

My experience could not be more different from what you describe above. It’s all about intention. The media itself should not determine one’s intention in listening to music.

If someone listens passively, then they also have a superficial relationship to music.

Reactions: PYP and Al M.
My experience could not be more different from what you describe above. It’s all about intention. The media itself should not determine one’s intention in listening to music.

If someone listens passively, then they also have a superficial relationship to music.

Many people listen passively, few listen actively.

I don't stream and actually don't like Spotify. I am a hard file hard media guy. I look at Spotify as the new Top 40 station. Never was Top 40 not going to start now.

Rob :)

I watched some other videos by Rick Beato. His interviews are really interesting. He does give a lot of technical comments, which is good, but I do think there is some form of bias. Here's an example. He calls this the greatest solo ever:

It is technically impressive, but I'm not sure I would want to listen to it twice.

In his videos about the top Spotify songs, he often complains about their lack of sophistication (few chords, ect...), and he's right, in those cases. But there's more to music than just technique.

My comments may be irrelevant to the question at hand - thought I would share them anyway.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: marty
In his videos about the top Spotify songs, he often complains about their lack of sophistication (few chords, ect...), and he's right, in those cases. But there's more to music than just technique.

Wonder how the Beatles would have faired?

Rob :)

Reactions: hopkins
I watched some other videos by Rick Beato. His interviews are really interesting. He does give a lot of technical comments, which is good, but I do think there is some form of bias. Here's an example. He calls this the greatest solo ever:

It is technically impressive, but I'm not sure I would want to listen to it twice.

My comments may be irrelevant to the question at hand - thought I would share them anyway.

You need to watch more Rick Beato before you pass judgment. He also has a video about the 10 greatest guitar solos, and if I remember correctly, he ranks Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd the highest. Hardly the most technically challenging guitar solos in that song, but I understand why he likes them so much musically.

He also swoons over the singing abilities of Adele, so he's hardly just into the old stuff.

Reactions: PYP and hopkins
You need to watch more Rick Beato before you pass judgment. He also has a video about the 10 greatest guitar solos, and if I remember correctly, he ranks Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd the highest. Hardly the most technically challenging guitar solos in that song, but I understand why he likes them so much musically.

He also swoons over the singing abilities of Adele, so he's hardly just into the old stuff.
Yes, I did not watch everything!

To me, he is best when interviewing a musician - Sting, Dominic Miller, Sting + Dominic Miller, Julian Lage, etc. You realize how closely Rick has listened to their work and is a most natural and gifted interviewer. A story unfolds.

I gave this some more thought as I watched more of Rick Beatos' videos. I really respect what he's doing and how he does it, but I can't say I am really aligned with his musical tastes (even when it comes to pop music...). When it comes to pop, he's very "mainstream"...so I don't know to what extent I'd be turning to him for advice on exciting current artists to listen to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing