RIP Jeff Beck

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Just read this as well. I wasn't a huge fan, but appreciated his prowess. Will listen to some of his stuff tonight as is my tradition when an artists passes.

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
For my money, Jeff Beck is the greatest* electric guitar player who ever lived. Astounding technique that served to create and emote his musical voice through many styles. Check out “Goodbye Pork Pie Hat” from his WIRED album. 78 years is a good run. He will be greatly missed.

*Mr Hendrix was the most important.

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Unique musical talent. May he travel in peace.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That TONE, omg! Him and David Gilmour, and then the rest.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
A rare combination of technical prowess and emotional expression. Was fortunate enough to hear him play live at the Hammersmith Odeon outside of London in 1990, with Terry Bozio on drums. What a show. RIP Mr. Beck

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
One of the three amazing guitarists to come of that rock/blues/psychedelic crucible known as The Yardbirds: Clapton, Beck, and Page. The Yardbirds eventually morphed into Led Zeppelin.

Reactions: ACHiPo and paolo

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
A true original. RIP

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
For my money, Jeff Beck is the greatest* electric guitar player who ever lived. Astounding technique that served to create and emote his musical voice through many styles. Check out “Goodbye Pork Pie Hat” from his WIRED album. 78 years is a good run. He will be greatly missed.

*Mr Hendrix was the most important.
Listening to “There and Back” which is the only studio album I can find on my server—I may have other titles on my back up HDD. He can certainly shred.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
One of the three amazing guitarists to come off that rock/blues/psychedelic crucible known as The Yardbirds: Clapton, Beck, and Page. The Yardbirds eventually morphed into Led Zeppelin.
Mr. Page is right up there with great guitarists as well!

Reactions: tima

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
A rare combination of technical prowess and emotional expression. Was fortunate enough to hear him play live at the Hammersmith Odeon outside of London in 1990, with Terry Bozio on drums. What a show. RIP Mr. Beck
I second that! Rare indeed. And it must have been a great performance to see. The Odeon is an awesome venue. I saw many bands there in the mid-seventies. I was able to see Jeff Beck just recently at the GSR in Reno and loved every minute.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
RIP.

He also had a great sarcastic sense of humor. I remember watching a BBC interview of his where he was asked about the success of Jimi Hendrix. He said Jimi is American, he can bang the guitar, light it up. I am British, we cannot do that.

At that time he was teaming up with Rod Stewart. He was asked if he expects to replicate Jimmy Page's success with Led Zep. He replied no, because Robert Plant screams, while Rod doesn't scream.

It was funny he used to keep a straight face while saying that.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
He was one heck of a guitarist, possibly one of the very greatest, highly regarded by other guitar virtuoso such as for example Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow).

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Listening to “There and Back” which is the only studio album I can find on my server—I may have other titles on my back up HDD. He can certainly shred.
Downloaded Wired last night. Hope to listen to it tomorrow morning. Very impressed with the clips I listened to. I do believe I’m becoming a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Downloaded Wired last night. Hope to listen to it tomorrow morning. Very impressed with the clips I listened to.

goodbye pork pie hat

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I always liked Jeff Beck but never really understood his less is more approach. Mostly, I think I never got him because there wasn't 'one' style that he could be identified with. His range of styles, creativity and techniques changed with every passing year, which of course that is what made him so great and well respected.

This was a very well done 1 hour tutorial on Beck that is also a very good history lesson in British Rock and Roll from the early 60's to the present. I can see I will be playing more Beck in the next few days to hear what I'm sure I missed.

Reactions: ACHiPo and Re-tread

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing